Author Topic: best hand auger? Lazer? Nils? others?  (Read 6563 times)

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
best hand auger? Lazer? Nils? others?
« on: Sep 26, 2014, 02:14 PM »
This may be opening a whole ford / chevy can-o-worms, but what's the best hand auger?  I'm looking for a 5" or 6" - 2 piece (I'll attach a drill, but need the handle when batteries die)
thoughts?

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
Re: best hand auger? Lazer? Nils? others?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2014, 02:22 PM »
ok, I'll bite.
I have a 6" Lazer with the swedish blades. I love it. I do not, nor have I ever owned a Nils but People who do seem to feel the same.
It would appear that you would be happy either way. Let your wallet decide.

And for the record, everyone should drive a Toyota!
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2014, 04:39 PM »
I own a nils but I to agree either way ,
But on the other hand Chevy 4x4 work truck is truck to have  :o lol

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I have a 7" Mora that works great on my Milwaukee fuel 18v..... Dodge Ram for me...LOL!!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I have a 6" Nils, cuts ice like a hot knife going through butter!  :thumbsup:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I have a 6" Nils and my father has a 6" Lazer. I think the Nils cuts faster, the offset handle helps IMO. I also like the way the handle folds up on the Nils, makes it compact but still one piece.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Nils hands down.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2014, 07:14 PM »
It's not about which auger is better but instead which auger is more efficient. Nils my friend :tipup:

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2014, 08:14 PM »
got the 5 inch lazer the 8 inch lazer and a 8 inch nills want to get a fin bore 3 this year once they get back out in stock to try out...   the 5 inch lazer cut very well not quite as fast as the nil's.   but the nil's you will have to have the blade sharpened every year and have a spare head for it sharpened of course . just to tell you the truth with the 5 -6 inch lazer cut very similar.  but they cut a little slower then the nills and are harder to use/ force threw the ice.  then the nills if i was to get another auger i would get the 6 inch lazer, or a 8 inch finbore 3.  but i hear those are touchy too like the nills augers the finbore 3's are..  by touchy you cant force them threw the ice you dull the blades you hit sand you blades are toast on the nills.  also from what i hear it about $30 for the nil's to be sharpened and 99.99 for the 8 inch head on the nil's i think there is only two shops in the usa that sharpen nil's factory direct so shipping is always there too ...i think the fin bores use lazer blades? me i would rather the lazer they can be sharpened any ware the blade are cheap and replaceable real easily compared to that of the nills...    i gave up on my nil first season blades were dull second season tried sharpening it etc.. with  no luck...for only having to places to sharpen  the nills auger it a little hard to find others who can do it... by the way the blades on the nil's seem to be more designed for sharpness over toughness which the lazers are not designed for speed.   like chisel point blades that don't dull easily  versus low angle type blades that dull real easily. is what i am talking about there just kind of not well thought out for toughness in blade design on the nils   as far as i am concerned. so if looking at the nil's weight the cost of the auger versus the lazer augers is my best advise...if your up in Canada mite want to consider reliability and durability of the augers ...     

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Well, it's got to be a Chevy - I like NILs and FinBore, both.   ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2014, 02:45 PM »
As I have said before;
I have used both the Nils and the Fine Bore side by side and both cut great/the same! Now if something happens to the blades of the Fine Bore I can reach into a back pocket and get another set, for less money (easier to swap out also). Nils makes a great auger, but I will use the one that cuts just as well, is cheaper, is not as "Delicate", easier to find blade covers for, MUCH cheaper to have sharpened and I can carry multiple set of blades easier than the one Nils Head. The Fine Bore. It may not have the "Cult" following of the NIls, but that is OK by me. The NORMARK FIN-BORE, is harder to find (mostly Canada) but worth the effort in the long run.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Its not necessarily the type of auger But the type of handle. Offset handle is what you want rather it be nills, finbore or lazer that's what makes the most difference. Like the other have said replacement blades versus heads its your choice.  Best performance versus cost look for a fin bore III

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Hand augers I have had are Jiffy, Nils, Strikemaster and Finbore III. Out of them I kept 2 - Finbore III augers and 1 - Strikemaster Lazer. All 3 have the offset handles.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2014, 01:48 PM »
I have a 8 & 6 inch lazers and the 8 by far is harder on the arms. The 6 is quite easy and many holes can be drilled before my arms feel numb. I do want to get a 8 inchs nills some day as I keep hearing how nice they are.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Hoping Finbores will be actually available? I go thru a pair of $30+ 6" Lazer blades each season. Adds up over the years... Time to have some blades exchanged/sharpened.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2014, 12:05 PM »
This may be opening a whole ford / chevy can-o-worms, but what's the best hand auger?  I'm looking for a 5" or 6" - 2 piece (I'll attach a drill, but need the handle when batteries die)
thoughts?

I'm pretty tickled with my 6" Strikemaster Lazer.  It cuts easy by hand and now I'm using it with my old 18v n-cad drill on a Clam drill plate.  It cuts like a hot knife through butter.  We has 2' -3'+ of ice all through last winter and I was still getting 20 to 30 holes per battery.  I bring an extra battery just in case and keep it in my lunchbox with my PB&J and coffee thermos.  This year I bought the Clam 4"-16" extension rod so that I won't have to finish my holes on my knees.  The whole rig only weighs about 13 pounds.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2014, 12:57 PM »
 i use the 5in lazer,most times i only use the hand[up to about 40 holes
if i need more holes than that i use the battery on it
but that is just me,i drill till i find the fish
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Well.......I'm not sure you really need any more replies, but I absolutely love my Nils.  It's by far the sharpest, smoothest, and fastest auger I've used.  I used it to drill by hand through 3 feet of ice with no problem.  One of the best ice fishing purchases I've ever made.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Hey I really appreciate all the info! Still not sure which auger will make the team, but tryouts will be coming up soon!   ::)

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2014, 12:08 PM »
As I have said before;
I have used both the Nils and the Fine Bore side by side and both cut great/the same! Now if something happens to the blades of the Fine Bore I can reach into a back pocket and get another set, for less money (easier to swap out also). Nils makes a great auger, but I will use the one that cuts just as well, is cheaper, is not as "Delicate", easier to find blade covers for, MUCH cheaper to have sharpened and I can carry multiple set of blades easier than the one Nils Head. The Fine Bore. It may not have the "Cult" following of the NIls, but that is OK by me. The NORMARK FIN-BORE, is harder to find (mostly Canada) but worth the effort in the long run.

Fish307.com - a sponsor here ... That's where I got mine. The only difference I see between the two Fin-Bore/Nils - is the price !

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Nils 6" with a cordless drill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.