Author Topic: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod  (Read 31008 times)

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod
« Reply #90 on: Nov 09, 2014, 04:15 PM »
My interest is peaked with these Cadillac rods.  Are they really "Cadillacs??"

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Nov 09, 2014, 05:18 PM »
for that price, it's worth it just for the real seat! what's the
 shipping charge?

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I like them.

But you will have to contact pilgrims village on shipping cost, I'm not sure what they charge.

With any luck we will  have safe ice around Thanksgiving. :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I like them.

But you will have to contact pilgrims village on shipping cost, I'm not sure what they charge.

With any luck we will  have safe ice around Thanksgiving. :tipup:

Where the heck you at??  Saskatchewan?!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:34 PM »
I tried a Flat Rod today. The 24in. What little I used it was good. From the boat I would like a longer one.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Nov 10, 2014, 03:02 PM »
They did offer a 32 inch version.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Nov 10, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I tried a Flat Rod today. The 24in. What little I used it was good. From the boat I would like a longer one.

I like the 32 inch the best out of the flat line models.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Lol they look goofy imo. Checked one out today at PTO wasn't impressed I'd use an HT Blue over that tickle me elmo stick any day of the week.

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Nov 10, 2014, 08:28 PM »
I would not recommend the tickle stick to anyone. I went to cabelas and some were broke already and they felt very weak and brittle. So I went with the St. Croix legend silver rod for ten bucks more then the tickle stick. The best decision ever I love it. Just my opinion.  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Nov 11, 2014, 02:42 AM »
In the last couple weeks i have aquired the 27'' tickle stick, 28'' jason mitchell meat stick, and 3 new 32'' custom rods from a buddy who started building his own rods. Not having used any of them yet i will point out that neither the tickle stick or the meat stick hold a candle to the customs, especially the custom noodle rod. The other two even far exceed the capabilities of the two ''store bought" rods. I am a bit leery of the brittleness of the tickle stick but have winched it over and it seems to have enough backbone, not real fond of the end eyelets at all but it is the Ole Ladys rod for when she wants to go with me on a warm day. Anxious to see how it will perform. The jason mitchell meatsick i am actually suprised with, its no custom but after being through nearly every rod on the shelf that cabelas has to offer in the store i would pick it over any of them, but its purely a feel preference for me, nothing more, there are others that i would have to say are better but i dont like the feel of them. Are the tickle stick and meat stick worth the price tag (meat stick was purchased used), no they arent worth it... but they arent worthless either, i feel it will come back to preference and fishing style, they still are very decent rods, but not a custom by no means at all. Looking forward to ice to put the batch of new rods through the paces this winter. Maybe then i can fill in on the performance a little better.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Nov 12, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Mail man just delivered my 23" SUL Ticklestick.  Lines it up with a spinning real and some 2LB Pline Floroclear tied to a size 12 gill pill.  The tip is extremely sensitive more sensitive than most spring bobbers. The tip also loads up nicely with the gill pill on it which will make it easy to see negative bites.  Yes it does have a crazy amount of backbone.  I don't know how I feel about this yet.  Supposively it is supposed to allow for the angler to easily set the hook by just flicking the wrist instead of having to lift the whole rod up in the air.  I guess I won't know until ice hits.  But overall, it is a very nice rod is very well built.  I cannot wait to try it.!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Nov 12, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Interested to see a picture of the rod curve with the line loaded heavily simulating a hookset

Catchin' Fish

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Nov 12, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I've been meaning to do that.  I'll be in the shop tonight, I'll try to get a few pics

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Nov 12, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Here Matzilla:

Load on rod with size 12 gill pill

Load on Rod simulating hookset

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Just held the UL and SUL the other day and wasn't real impressed.  I'd rather have a spring bobber and has the ability to detect bites more easily.  Just didn't see the tip being sensitive enough even if loaded with a tungsten jig.

My $.02
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Thanks for the pictures! That is a more gradual parabolic bend than the Beaver Dam Glass Noodle and Ugly Stik GX2 (light). The load with that gill pill looks similar to both of those rods loaded. I'm ordering a no8 Snitch tomorrow to give it a try on the ice this year

Brink, you'd be surprised how much better it is to fish with a quick tip type rod vs a spring bobber - personally I would never go back. Its all in how that sensitivity is transferred to your hand.

Catchin' Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Nov 13, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Thanks for the pictures! That is a more gradual parabolic bend than the Beaver Dam Glass Noodle and Ugly Stik GX2 (light). The load with that gill pill looks similar to both of those rods loaded. I'm ordering a no8 Snitch tomorrow to give it a try on the ice this year

Brink, you'd be surprised how much better it is to fish with a quick tip type rod vs a spring bobber - personally I would never go back. Its all in how that sensitivity is transferred to your hand.

I agree, spring bobbers are for the birds!!

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Nov 13, 2014, 05:13 PM »
After many days of reading this post, I decided to purchase the flat line rod...I got the 24 incher today in the mail, and I think it may be alright, it seems to have some backbone, we will see how it loads up whenever a fish is on, but for now, it appears to be a decent rod. I had gone thru 2 jsm elite series ms., and I wasn't too happy with their durability, as both of them are broken(didn't have either one very long at al< ..but I was really happy with the feel of the jsm,and the tip (orange) was really sensitive, But I just can't  justify spending my hard earned $$$$ on something that doesn't hold up.. (that's why I haven't ordered a ticklestick yet), So I am gonna give this flat line rod a try this year, hope it works as advertised, and holds up....We will see

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Nov 13, 2014, 05:25 PM »
The 27" lite was stiffer and had more backbone, but i didn't care for the eyelets.  Not to say they don't work better or any different then the standard ones.
The end eyelets just seemed small and looked like they would build up ice.
I just wasn't willing to make the $50 gamble.  Might next year after we hear some reports on how they actually work.
The build quality on the tickle sticks looked excellent.  Didn't notice any aberrations in the shaft, wrapping, eyelets, glue etc between the different tickle sticks I looked at.

Those of you who are getting the Flat Line rods, please report back here with your opinions.

Just and fyi, I tend to gravitate towards rods that have a sensitive tip yet plenty back bone.
If the rod will bend 3/4 the way to the handle its to much of a noodle for me.

I also checked out the Tickle stick and the eyelets looked very small.  I don't shack fish that much so ice buildup would be a concern.  Anyone been on the ice yet with these rods?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:07 PM »
After many days of reading this post, I decided to purchase the flat line rod...I got the 24 incher today in the mail, and I think it may be alright, it seems to have some backbone, we will see how it loads up whenever a fish is on, but for now, it appears to be a decent rod. I had gone thru 2 jsm elite series ms., and I wasn't too happy with their durability, as both of them are broken(didn't have either one very long at al< ..but I was really happy with the feel of the jsm,and the tip (orange) was really sensitive, But I just can't  justify spending my hard earned $$$$ on something that doesn't hold up.. (that's why I haven't ordered a ticklestick yet), So I am gonna give this flat line rod a try this year, hope it works as advertised, and holds up....We will see

I was a little nervous about getting my Meatstick last year because of all the reports of people breaking the tip off.  But, I've had no problem with it.  I was even carrying them in a rod bag which was a tangled up mess.  So, I built a couple of these.  They should do very well protecting the rods.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Oct 07, 2015, 05:04 PM »
I know this is an old thread... I know sorry but I wanted to let guys know who missed out on the flat line last year Sportsmen's Direct has the 24 inch Flat Line back in stock.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Oct 08, 2015, 10:08 AM »
I would be weary of the Flat Line rods. I got two 24" last year, and not only were they way too stiff for the finesse presentations they are designed for, but it seems as though the tip is some sort of spring steel, not machined down graphite like the Tickle Stick. I threw them both in the trash after a few weeks of using them. Will they catch fish? Yes, but it isn't an optimal setup in my opinion. Since then I have purchased 4 Tickle Sticks and am very pleased with how they work, it is much more refined and professional in build quality and their tip is EXTREMELY sensitive. Highly recommended.

Jake

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Oct 08, 2015, 04:53 PM »
I also just purchased a 27"L Tickle stick last night. My fishing partner bought 2 of them last year, and I was skeptical of all the bad reviews, so I held off. He used them all winter without any issues. He did use them outside, but not when it was super cold and iced up the eyes right away. He claims they have just as much feel to them as a sensitive tip. I like to feel the bites rather than watching the rod, so after about 20 minutes of holding and playing with the rod, I bought one last night, and will be pairing it with a Pflueger President spinning reel. Can't wait to try this combo out come first ice! I think it's going to be sweet!

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Oct 09, 2015, 07:18 PM »
So long as you store the Tickle Stick right (like any ice rod, right?), strength isn't an issue. Fished one all last season and loved it, just picked up another - the most sensitive rod I've ever used to be completely honest. For what its worth, 13 Fishing does also have the best Customer Service I've ever experienced (never broke an ice rod but broke an open water rod - new ones was to me in a week, no questions asked). I've seen the same stated by quite a few others, which led me to trying out the Tickle Stick in the first plus.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out the new Widow Maker they released for this year. Picked 2 of the (27" UL) up today as well. Similar to the tickle stick but better blank, better guides. Best feeling ice rod I've ever held, can't wait to use them this year. Essentially a custom rod at a much better price. Saw a video about them on YouTube recently that I'll look for and post if I find it.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Oct 10, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Just realized, the new Tickle Stick (2015 version) has much bigger guides than last year. This should put the guide freezing issue to rest.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:04 AM »
Ok, maybe a dumb question, but is there anyway to know if the tickle sticks are last year's rods vs this year's rod with the new guides? I purchased mine last week at s local store, but guides still are very small. Don't know if I got a 2014 model that was carry over from last year, or if the guides were even smaller on the previous models?

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:09 AM »
perch_stalker - Actually, yes, its pretty easy (if I explain right...).

If the guides are directly attached to the rod, you have a new model. If there is a small wire gap, it's last years.

This years: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/15722/product_image/thm/t700_x3_396d59df07d05bfcbe6a7bb94f27b71d.jpg?1441406528

Last years: https://kabeles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/t700_x1_ba3b579ac1d37d029aa8bfe120cf7875.jpg

Another thing I noticed was this year the rods are in a very nice plastic case at retail, last year they seemed to just be hanging from a tag.

Does this make sense? If not, I'll get a side by side picture of this years vs. last years later on today.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #117 on: Oct 11, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Here Matzilla:

Load on rod with size 12 gill pill

Load on Rod simulating hookset

That has got to be wicked fun with panfish.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:13 PM »
perch_stalker - Actually, yes, its pretty easy (if I explain right...).

If the guides are directly attached to the rod, you have a new model. If there is a small wire gap, it's last years.

This years: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/15722/product_image/thm/t700_x3_396d59df07d05bfcbe6a7bb94f27b71d.jpg?1441406528

Last years: https://kabeles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/t700_x1_ba3b579ac1d37d029aa8bfe120cf7875.jpg

Another thing I noticed was this year the rods are in a very nice plastic case at retail, last year they seemed to just be hanging from a tag.

Does this make sense? If not, I'll get a side by side picture of this years vs. last years later on today.

Ok, so the rod I bought has the guides that aren't right on the blank, they have the wire between the guides and the blank, but it is packaged in the new plastic package. So...is this a 2014 model that just got packaged like that, or is this a 2015 model? I haven't opened it yet thankfully, so if this is the older style rod, I will be returning it for the 2015 model with the bigger guides. Here are some pictures...

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:46 PM »
The rods i saw last year were packaged that way.  The guides def appear to be the old style.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.