New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: South Bay Lake Champlain access  (Read 7243 times)

Offline jlkachina

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: South Bay Lake Champlain access
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2022, 05:34 AM »
Well said. At age 76 I can relate to all of that because that's exactly how I got into ice fishing from an old Ukranian guy. Worked at a gas station in high school and used to pump gas for him. He set me up with everything I needed and took me out a dozen times or more before he passed away. Some of the best fishing I've ever done. Used to almost have to pry the bucket off my frozen ass; no shanty, no electronics, not even a rod and reel.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2022, 06:18 AM »
Stick with me and you might learn a thing or two.

learn how to ruin bites and blow lakes up?

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:21 AM »

Hairybag Pipes seems legitimately  concerned that if left unchecked, the over abundant and abnormally large crappies in brant lake may start eating kids trying to swim in the lake this summer.  It is our duty as sportsman to try to get that population under control before lives are lost.   

I only own a 10 inch auger so I don't dare to try to tangle with those brant lake beasts. Saving all my empty keystone cans in hopes of upgrading to a 16 inch auger for next season to try to help the cause

Tight lines

I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline HairyBagpipes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie make me happy
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2022, 10:16 AM »

I’m more worried that the bait fish population is going to take a huge hit if we don’t get some of the Crappie out of there. The Crappie will do to that baitfish population what the Lake Trout did to it on Lake George “The Queen of American Lakes” as referenced by Thomas Jefferson in a 1791 letter to his ailing Mother in Law.
If you need me, I’ll be ripping Crappie lips on Brant Lake.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #64 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:14 AM »
I’m more worried that the bait fish population is going to take a huge hit if we don’t get some of the Crappie out of there. The Crappie will do to that baitfish population what the Lake Trout did to it on Lake George “The Queen of American Lakes” as referenced by Thomas Jefferson in a 1791 letter to his ailing Mother in Law.

No issues with baitfish in LG lol

Offline HairyBagpipes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie make me happy
« Reply #65 on: Feb 04, 2022, 08:40 PM »
No issues with baitfish in LG lol

Ahhh yes I believe it was Father Isaac Jogues in 1646. He remarked about the bountiful harvest of fatheads. Fatheads so thick you could ride two oxen across their withers.

Offline HairyBagpipes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie make me happy
« Reply #66 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:50 PM »
Heads up folks. For those of us who like not catching fish. The access to South Bay is pretty rutted up. Some whacker in a truck rutted the whole Pike Brook access up. I was going to try to fish but it’s a mess.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:14 PM »
Heads up folks. For those of us who like not catching fish. The access to South Bay is pretty rutted up. Some whacker in a truck rutted the whole Pike Brook access up. I was going to try to fish but it’s a mess.

I've heard the locals are running 20 year old 2wd pickups down there.  Shouldn't be a problem if you know how to drive
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline HairyBagpipes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie make me happy
« Reply #68 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:23 PM »
I've heard the locals are running 20 year old 2wd pickups down there.  Shouldn't be a problem if you know how to drive

Yup, here we go with the local knowledge. I’ve been fishing there on and off for 20 years. I know where Pike Brook comes in to the bay bub.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.