Author Topic: Last Mountain Success?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline WalleyeSpoon

• IceShanty Rookie
Last Mountain Success?
« on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:47 AM »
Where is best on Last Mountain traditionally through January and February?  Any hot spots for perch working out there right now?
Spoon
Spoon<br />Saskatchewan Lake Lover

Offline WalleyeSpoon

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Last Mountain Success?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:27 AM »
Anyone having luck on Last Mountain?

teatot

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:25 AM »
Anyone having luck on Last Mountain?
[

/quote]

We were having some luck at the south tip of the Island for walleye about two weeks ago but since it has shut down.Alice Beach was another good spot around the new year but since has been quiet.Perch seem to be non-exsistent in that lake,any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:11 PM »

I was at Etter's Beach on Sunday and caught nothing.  Saw a few whites on the camera but they were not interested in anything we had.  Anyone else out there fishing near Etter's?

Offline nighttime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:24 PM »
was out today with a buddy we caught 9 decent perch and it only took 8 hours. we were at collingwood
anybody know were they are biting?
Forced to work born to PLAY

Offline Fish Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Was out at Collingwood today as well. Caught 4 real nice perch, about a 3 pound walleye and a nice burbot. Actually I'm not too sure on what is a decent size for a burbot as this was the first one I've ever caught. Putup a hell of a fight though so I was pretty happy to get it. I ended up releasing it but I got a couple pics so I'll post them up as soon as I get them back so hopefully someone can give me some feedback on how big it really is.
   But yeah it was a good day. The bite was slow but when they hit they hit hard so hopefully its a sign of things to come.

teatot

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Heading out on Saturday to Glen Harbour and possibly Collingwood later in the day,going to be quite a crew of us so hopefully someone finds something and I'll have some good new to report next week.Until then good luck and be safe out there.Teatot

Offline WalleyeSpoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Any luck Teapot?

teatot

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Well Walleyespoon I'm sorry to report that the dead sea is still just that "DEAD".Never did get to Collingwood,learnt that it's slow there to so we stayed away.Fished infront of Grandview Beach and then moved to the stone barn,there was 7 of us and honest to god not a fish was caught in 8-9 hours of fishing,extremely disappointing.Has anyone got anything else to report? Any luck anywhere on that lake? Later-Teapot

Offline Fish Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2006, 03:39 PM »
I'd have to say collingwood is the place to go. When we were there the bite was somewhat slow but between two of us we still managed to pull out 12 fish in about 4-5 hours. On top of that we lost at least that many near the hole and had several more bites where we missed the hook set.

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2006, 04:22 PM »
How far is Colingwood from Saskatoon and how would u get there from Saskatoon?

Offline Fish Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2006, 12:43 PM »
I've got it figured to 243km from the outskirts of saskatoon right to the road onto the ice at collingwood. Now I"ve tried 2 routes there so far but the fastest seems to be just taking highway 16 east until you get to Lanigan, then turn south on #20 and take that all the way down until you turn west at Bulyea. The turn-off here is marked as Rowan's Ravine Provincial Park but when your coming down this road you'll see a sign that says Collingwood Estates you take that north until another collingwood sign takes you west. By this time you'll be able to see te shanty town on the ice. Note that the last time I was there te road onto the ice was completely snowed in. So unless you've got a dedicated 4x4 and are willing to dig yourself out a couple times(which will almost certainly happen), you'll be walkig out.

Offline Fish Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Heading out to Collingwood tommorow, anyone know if the road onto the ice has been cleared since last week or should I be taking out my sled?

Offline WalleyeSpoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:12 AM »
Any luck Fish Master at Collingwood?

Offline JIG MASTER77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:24 AM »
no luck at the dead sea for a couple weeks ex: the stone barn so slowwwww and alice beach is slow moving over to the fort for a couple weeks

Offline Fish Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Just got back actually. It was definetly the slowest day I've had out there (getting the truck stuck right off the bat didn't help either). I managed 4 perch and two walleye. One of the eye's might as well have been used as bait, but at least its nice to see theres some smaller fish coming up in the lake. The real problem there right now is the ice. I ended up moving with a guy that was out there over to the main shanty village of Collingwood and just as we were at the first shack there it felt like the truck went through the ice. we suddenly dropped about a foot down and I was sure we were going through. We ended up making it through it and got out to look and there had to have been about 5-8 inches of water that had filled up the spot. We checked out the tire ruts where we had dropped down and the ice seemed solid but again the water was seeping out and flooding the area. Actually there were a number of spots in the area that looked like normal dry snow over the ice, when in fact they were actually hiding about 3-5 inches of slush and water. When you drilled your holes too it seemed like the water was coming up out of the hole in places and spreading. Any thoughts on what causes this, or if this is a real dangerous phenomena?  I've been ice fishing for quite a number of years and have never seen this anywhere. Any input would be great.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:25 PM »
"I ended up moving with a guy that was out there over to the main shanty village of Collingwood and just as we were at the first shack there it felt like the truck went through the ice. we suddenly dropped about a foot down and I was sure we were going through."

Well FM!!--That would have certainly got my heart going...glad to hear you got out of it ok.  I have to admit I am a little apprehensive driving on the ice this year....just not the thickness I am used to at the end of Jan. I fish the lower lakes on the chain(Mission, Katepwa) and they have really slowed down lately(at least for me). I am hoping you get a response to your question--did this area flood and then freeze over again?

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:14 AM »
 I went out to Last Mountain yesterday and today and didn't even get one hit! I only have a car at my disposal, I have winter tires but no ground clearance, so I'm limited to where I can go. I got on at Saskatchewan Beach and drove down to Regina Beach. I knew it was a waste of time but I thought I might as well try hard just to see if I could make something bite. I tapped holes in a T- shape off a point, starting in about 6' of water and about 8-10' apart until I found an estimated 15-17' of water. Then I drilled holes out on each side at that depth and a few more random ones scattered around the area. My brother and I alternated holes for about 2 hours and then moved back down the lake and did the same. Not one hit all day. From what I gather nobody's been catching anything other than Cisco( Small ones at that) and the odd small Pike. Not to mention 8 out of 10 people on skidoos are morons and feel it necessary to rip by within 20 yards of where your fishing so the fish are probably so stressed the won't eat.
 I am nervous about venturing any farther down the lake in a car or truck without 4wd. Can anyone give us the driving conditions for the main lake arm ( from the noth side of Pelican Point to Collingwood )?
 Also, is the lake easier to negotiate on the east side ( Grandview/ Alice ) or the west (Glen Harbour/ Rowan's )
 What are the best ways onto the ice up in that region?
 I'd hate to drive all the way to Grandview or Glen Harbour and find out I can't get on the ice. Thanks.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:39 PM »
The last time I went ice fishing the water came up 2 inches above the hole in the ice. The ice was 2 feet and fairly strong. I think it may have been caused by the immense pressure of the snow on the ice. The lake I was on had a foot and a half to two feet of snow.
:blink:

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.