Author Topic: First Underwater Camera Questions  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Bygone

• IceShanty Rookie
First Underwater Camera Questions
« on: Nov 07, 2017, 01:36 PM »
First off I'd like to start out by saying this is my first post in the local forum and am excited for the upcoming events that have been posted here.

I have been ice fishing now for about 5 years after many years only fishing open water and the rivers. Some backstory to why I am after an underwater camera to begin with is because 2 years ago I purchased my first Flasher in the form of a Marcum Lx5-i, while it's been a great unit the time since I purchased it have been my least successful fishing trips on the ice. After getting skunked far more times than not last year I decided I was going to add some more tools to the arsenal.

This leads me to want to purchase an underwater camera. I have done a bit of research and think I have narrowed it down to a couple models and was hoping for some insight from more experienced anglers.

I will mostly be fishing in a 3 man shanty for panfish and would like the camera to be able to be set up in a manner we could watch multiple lures simultaneously.
I do not need the ability to record.
All the models I am interested in are available in the $200-$250 range (used/reconditioned).

The two micro units I've considered are the Aqua-vu Micro 5, as well as the Marcum Recon 5.
I like the compact size of these units but am concerned about being able to position the units accurately enough to sight fish with them. A fair amount of feedback I have read on these units is that they are fantastic for jumping hole to hole quickly for scouting but not ideal once you decide to remain stationary.

Another unit I am considering is the Aqua-vu AV715c, this is a larger unit with a 7" screen instead of the 5" of the other two listed. The larger camera seems like it would be easier to control the direction of the camera. The added size is something that doesn't bother me to much, but if the smaller units have about the same performance it just seems more logical.

Hopefully this message isn't to scrambled and makes some sense.

Offline delement87

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: First Underwater Camera Questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2017, 02:04 PM »
go watch uncut angling on youtube. his last ice fishing videos show him using the aqua vu 700i. the unit sells itself.  the videos of him using it are currently 7-8 months old.

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2017, 02:04 PM »
I highly recommend and underwater camera as long as you have good water clarity. I run the Marcum Recon 5 and run it with a Marcum  flasher.  I mainly fish perch through the ice and it is great seeing the fish come in on the sonar, but the camera really comes into play allowing you to target the larger fish and knowing the right time to set the hook. I like 'down viewing' with the cam so you can see more of the water column giving you a birds eye view. I used to run a larger camera but weight is an issue and I like the portability of the Recon. I use their older plastic camera compass to keep it from spinning, but they do now have an electronic one with a remote. One thing to keep in mind no matter what camera you purchase is to drill the camera hole as far as you can from your fishing hole to minimise tangles. Sometimes larger fish will swim into it and get tangled in the cord. My catch rates have greatly improved since using the flasher and the camera together. Good luck

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2017, 02:31 PM »
For controlling the direction of the camera, I like the Aqua-Vu Mo-Pod.  I've been using it for two seasons with my AV Micro Plus DVR and it is now on my list of mandatory equipment for each trip.

So much better than trying to twist the cord by hand.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2017, 04:59 PM »
I use the Marcum Recon 5 and it does a great job, if you can position it... I'm working on fixing that issue this year... Otherwise you spend all your time goofing with the camera... It's fun though... Good luck... J

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.