Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Central Iowa Ice  (Read 1474 times)

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Central Iowa Ice
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Has anyone punched any holes in central Iowa yet?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: Central Iowa Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:49 AM »
I'm planning on going this weekend possibly. Need to get my shack lighting system rigged up, I'm running behind!

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 01:00 PM »
When I was out plowing snow I saw someone had been out on one of my favorite ponds in West Des Moines and punched a few holes but, not more than 15 feet away there was quite a bit of open water because of the geese!  :o Stay safe out there!

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Thanks Guys Hoping to get out later in the week, but might not be til next week depending on work. Either way i post any info...

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Highs in the forties and lows above freezing with rain possible forecast for a lot of Iowa this Saturday and Sunday.

In other words, if you aren't able to get out on whatever safe ice you may have in your area by Saturday morning, you are probably going to have to drive north or wait a little while longer to get out on the ice.

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Stopped by little wall this afternoon, walked out 30 yards & talked to an old boy who was fishing. Bite was nonexistant but there was 3.5-4 inches of ice on the south end! He did however say he only found 2.5 on the north side by the campground.

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Tried Little Wall once mid winter last year and the water quality was like orange juice. Needless to say, we didnt mark any fish and didnt stick around for very long. Has anyone have any luck out there lately? Few years back you could catch all the little crappie and yellow bass you want, last year was a different story.

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Was out fishing on 3-4 inches of ice today in central Iowa. No bites. I drilled about 20 holes. Came across a spot I wasn't quite sure if it was safe. 2 inches. I bout crap myself. Gonna check it out again next week maybe.

Offline dk_dogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Checked several spots in Ankeny yesterday. 2 inches was the most I came across. Many other places only had an inch.

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:30 AM »
Be careful out there everyone!!  It was this type of year I fell through early in the season!!  Thankfully, was fairly close to shore and the depth wasn't too deep!!  I had punched through 3-4 inches, but it wasn't holding me well, (obviously) heard it crack'n and I started scoot'n!!!  Too late!!  Don't want to read about anyone going through this year!!

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:28 AM »
I fished on 3" in Johnston yesterday
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Fished Rock Creek Jasper Co. today 4-5 inches. I'm glad I checked it out today. Found a big open spot with thousands of geese. Won't be walking that way for a while. Just a tip. Scout your spots early for geese holes like this. ;)

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:09 AM »
Hit a private 20 acre lake 30 min north of Ames today. Found 5 1/2 to 7 inches of ice. Ended up with 56 crappies gills and perch! Great first day ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.