The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Losing Ice in SC PA  (Read 1037 times)

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
Losing Ice in SC PA
« on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Well folks have seen a local farm pond (near Carlisle) go from fully ice capped back to open water the past couple of days.  I know the water is still cold and would only need a night or two below 20F to freeze it up again.  Just frustrating to see it happen when I thought we were getting close.  Not sure what effect this upcoming snowfall is going to have.  Haven't been by any of the lakes I fish near Hanover lately but will post here when I do.  May fish them in my boat if I have to.  Have 2 weeks of vacation time on my hands and was hoping for safe ice.  Maybe Santa will deliver.  I think I've been extra nice this year.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
Re: Losing Ice in SC PA
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:20 AM »
Everything that was capped with a thin layer of ice over here in SW PA is now open water again as well.  I feel your pain.  Went to Erie for steelhead on Thursday and saw several small ponds along I79 that were still holding some ice.  Even the edges of Wilhem (NW end by bridge over the lake) had a little bit of ice left.  A promising sign of what's to come when we finally get the necessary temps.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Likewise here. Did a SC condition post a week or so ago. What was there is now gone  :( Hopefully this snow will be just that, snow. Get it out of here and bring the cold air back to get the ice going!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Jig Jig thump,

Hopefully this is the year we can meet up on the ice.  I should have some more time to get out then I had in recent yrs, and the fact that "our" lake is back is nice.  Pinchot had ice on the upper end earlier in the week and I went by today and it's open.  Still going to be awhile

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:27 PM »
Jumping the gun!  We don't have a sustained cold temp. yet. Bouncing into the 40's each week is the norm. A few freak storms can't do it. I say it will take to 08 for the South Central.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.