The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Why is pa so against letting atv's and snowmobiles on the ice  (Read 17530 times)

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Why is pa so against letting atv's and snowmobiles on the ice
« Reply #60 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:37 PM »
man you would think this topic would still be going on during a winter like last not a winter like this where there is safe ice just about on every water body in the state. get out and fish guys

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #61 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I believe it is because we usually do not have thick enough ice to run an atv on it.  Also there are a lot of idiots out there and cause issues for everyone following the rules.  I would really love to see them open it up to drive the atv's on ice and state ground.  I would even pay alittle more to do this.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:59 AM »
We have enough ice most places now I was on 7" of clear.and everybody has idiots in their state .people here just put up with allot more crap here than in other states .you can make change by getting together they won't listen VOTE them out.but hey when you vote the same senator in for like 40yrs you obviously drink the coolaid .

Offline MikeFLN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:53 AM »
This post explains a lot about why the laws here don't change.  Those of us who grew up in other states DO think it's a big deal.  Maybe if PA had more net immigration from other states the laws would change faster.

Please no.  PA is a good pro-2nd amendment state but already.  Too many idiots from NY and Jersey moving in are trying to change that, we don't need more.  I will gladly display my license if it keeps moon bats out of this state.

Offline BigLig88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:22 PM »
Because Pennsylvania likes bad laws - and Pennsylvanians are too proud to admit that they are bad laws.  It's the same with having to wear licenses on your jacket.  Or not being able to carry an expired license on your person. Or needing an FBI background check to volunteer at your church youth group.  I could go on  >:(

Didn't know you couldn't take them out. Glad I read this post.

Don't forget the alcohol laws too.  I'd still like to know why I can't buy my beer and bourbon in every grocery at the same check out line as my milk and eggs. Seems like PA likes to make things difficult...

Offline Tyler2487

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Because it’s PA and we love our stupid rules about fish and game because change is bad!

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #66 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:01 PM »
@ King:  Those Ice Boats are the only sail powered machine that can go faster than the wind.  When I was a kid we used to see them when we were hard watering @ Glendale.  Dad wanted to build one, We even had the plans.  But, like mice & men; "The best laid plans..."
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Jaggerhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:15 AM »
It's States right on your license must be displayed on outer garment but I don't know about the phone app when I was in issuing agent just a year ago

I have put my licence in my wallet after the first year they started printing them on the yellow heat print because the first year I had them I had it displayed the front page of my licence turned black from being in the sun and we the officer checked my licence was not happy that the way it looked he couldn't read it he told me to keep it somewhere else. Been in my wallet ever since and Beed checked plenty of times and no one has said anything about it being displayed.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:06 AM »
 Maybe you wouldn't get checked so much if you displayed your license  ::)

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Please no.  PA is a good pro-2nd amendment state but already.  Too many idiots from NY and Jersey moving in are trying to change that, we don't need more.  I will gladly display my license if it keeps moon bats out of this state.
....id*ts from ny glad to know im an idiot from ny... At least im not a whiner from pa..sheesh

Offline MikeFLN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:09 AM »
....id*ts from ny glad to know im an idiot from ny... At least im not a whiner from pa..sheesh

Wow a little sensitive are we here?  I didn't call all NY and NY residents idiots but certainly a high percentage of them are and they come to our state and try to change our laws when we have no where near the problems they have.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:47 AM »
I didn't call all NY and NY residents idiots but certainly a high percentage of them are

Out of curiosity, what percentage of NY residents are "idiots"?

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Glad to hear I was not alone, my licence turned almost completely black as well.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:17 AM »

Out of curiosity, what percentage of NY residents are "idiots"?

That is easy.....the NY residents that voted for Clinton are idiots, the others are not idiots. So, you have 59.01% idiots in NY.

Now, PA has 47.5% idiots, so we are not far behind NY. In fact, I think by next year the idiot to non-idiot percentages will be fairly even.

I am not saying those who voted Trump are not idiots as well, just not as big of idiots. That could be a whole different percentage. I am giving PA some additional idiot credits for the 2.4% Johnson vote though. I expected NY to have some Johnson effect, but PA would have been better to vote for Snoopy (or Scooby-Doo).

My tally, NY is 60% idiots, and PA is touching a tick of 50%.

It's not about the fish.................. .

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:31 PM »
I hear NY calling you

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I hear NY calling you

Perfect Mo, good idea........this will help NY lower their population of idiots. We will begin to balance things out. Now we just need to move someone else out of PA...you ever think about living in California  ? They are already at about 99% idiots.....you might help push them over the top.

You dudes are way too serious.

The laws pertain to ATV's and such in PA are not going to change. There isn't enough enforcement officers to police all the dumb crap people will be doing. Drive over to Port Clinton and watch those guys.....talk about some idiots. The bad 10% will always ruin it for the good 90%.

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:39 PM »
A friend and I were fishing on the Pack a couple of years ago. Not that many fishing that day but there were several cowboys racing their snow machines back and forth on the lake. It didn't take long before one of them ran over two of my buddy's tip ups. A real jerk and I haven't liked machines on the ice since.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 17, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Yep I was born in Anaheim California ASSBACK with all the other idiots and now I'm a Pa ice fisherman and I guess I just don't run into nowhere as many idiot Pennsylvanians as you have.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Oh Mo.. Say it ain't so.  ;D

I run into a few here.....and PA isn't my home ground. We are both transplants. I come from a mostly non-ice fishing pace....Indiana and Ohio. Wasn't until recent years that guys got into it. Probably from watching PA idiots walk on ice. lol. If I could go back to childhood I would certainly tame that ice Grandma told me to stay off of.  I loved the early 80's in Ohio....but not much in the way of ice fishing.

I was just jokin' around Mo. I am the biggest idiot I know. TRUST ME  ;D ;D ;D

BTW, I choose NY to be my vacation every year I can.....trolling Ontario. With the ice cover now, I have to troll here !

I am like everyone else....just sitting at home after work dreaming of the ice. If I get a chance to be sarcastic, or a smarta**...I take the opportunity. I very much meant no offence...I am chuckling, but I really didn't mean any offence. I assumed you were from Nebraska the way you talk...... 

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:53 PM »
A friend and I were fishing on the Pack a couple of years ago. Not that many fishing that day but there were several cowboys racing their snow machines back and forth on the lake. It didn't take long before one of them ran over two of my buddy's tip ups. A real jerk and I haven't liked machines on the ice since.

I have no issues with snow machines, but you are right....they can get a bit overwhelming. I am old-school....and getting tired. I like the idea of sleds and 4-wheelers, but they annoy me enough to not fight for them. I enjoy the quiet of the lake, and sometimes I complain about gas augers too. Even though I have used them....and really like them.....and usually bring a friend who has one. I still complain.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:27 PM »
SoCal raised .not my fault✌

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Ok now ppl are idiots on who they vote for....omg lets all just go ice fishing n have...yes atvs and sleds should only be used for getting to point a to point b during the day on ice...night time if they wanna ride so be it...but they should watch out for nite ice fisherman..but 10 out of 1p times we have to watch out for them...

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:53 AM »
THE ONLY ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION IS ITS PA.WE ARE THE ONLY STATE FOR ALOT OF THINGS ITS THE GAME AND FISH COMMISSION LAW MAKERS WHO ARE THE PROBLEM.

Offline bassackwards

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:41 AM »
Ok now ppl are idiots on who they vote for....omg lets all just go ice fishing n have...yes atvs and sleds should only be used for getting to point a to point b during the day on ice...night time if they wanna ride so be it...but they should watch out for nite ice fisherman..but 10 out of 1p times we have to watch out for them...

It was a joke.....I don't even vote. You need to read more post to catch up on things....lol.

Offline addictedangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:36 AM »
 I am not totally against motorized vehicles on ice but why do you need one. Most Americans are over weight. Perhaps a little walking could do most of us some good!  There are some who may be unable to get around and I can see them in need of a motorized device to travel on the ice. Or perhaps  a extremely large lake that is not acceptable by foot. I do not believe Pa has many of those lakes if any at all. Too many times these devices cause trouble. Guys get rip rooting around and then who knows? I go ice fishing for several reasons. One is to catch fish but another is to get away from the rat race and away from undesirables. No not all snowmobile guys are undesirable. Just like dirt bikes. Some are bad apples and can destroy your and my pleasures. Same goes for personal water craft. I am sure many boat owners have seen these guys jumping your wake near congested boating areas. If you think using a snowmobile is the way to go please go to other states that allow them and have fun! I am proud and glad to live in Pa and happy with most of the laws we have.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:18 PM »
From what I understand and know from not seeing motorized vehicles on state owned/controlled lakes is, it came about in the late 90's. I believe and I've either read or have heard it stated by officials from the PA Fish Commission that the Winters are no longer cold enough in PA to allow this practice any longer. Go figure! :tipup: ??? :'( :tipup:
ttt

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Got the idea from a different thread, but what about using a tracked snow blower to pull the sled and just walking behind it. Wouldn't be considered a vehicle if you are not riding it would it?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:40 PM »
From what I understand and know from not seeing motorized vehicles on state owned/controlled lakes is, it came about in the late 90's. I believe and I've either read or have heard it stated by officials from the PA Fish Commission that the Winters are no longer cold enough in PA to allow this practice any longer. Go figure! :tipup: ??? :'( :tipup:

Been icefishing Pa lakes since the 70's - there were no motorized vehicles allowed on state owned property back then either. 

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Chute82

« Reply #88 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:21 PM »

They never allowed veh on the ice on PA state lakes, whoever told you that is full of it...

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Got the idea from a different thread, but what about using a tracked snow blower to pull the sled and just walking behind it. Wouldn't be considered a vehicle if you are not riding it would it?

If I'm not mistaken , it's stated as " motorized vehicle " . Trust me , if the PFC can construe it to be a vehicle , they most certainly will . I understand the ice may not be safe most of the time , but even on Hunting Forums , the guys from other states will tell you , Pennsylvania is YEARS behind the rest of the states in consideration of law changes . Semiautomatic rifles is one good example .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.