Author Topic: reel magic  (Read 1055 times)

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
reel magic
« on: Mar 04, 2007, 12:04 AM »
would it be ok to spray my ice fishing poles & reels  with  real magic as i know it works wonders on open water
but ice fishing you dont have all the condishins  like open water
& the fish  are much more harder to get on the ice

thanks i was just wondering
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: reel magic
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2007, 03:44 PM »

any of the heavy duty silicone sprays will help to keep ice from forming on superbraids / rod eyes / plastic dippers, etc. where it it really shines however is when applied to your 'portable sled'.
   A WORD OF CAUTION HERE, if you get silicone spray on a painted or tile floor & you walk around in your stocking feet. YOU WILL FALL DOWN ! !   been there - done that.  fred

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2007, 04:34 PM »
I just used this stuff recently and now everything that hits the ice is sprayed with it no freeze up. Was wondering about using it on the bottom of my sled?   would this work or would just come off the first 100 ft i walked ?

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2007, 08:20 PM »

forgot to mention in my earlier post, if you spray your line ( mono or braid) with silicone, most types of 'bobber stops' seem to slip out of place a bit easier. i've been using it on my summer catfish rods for several years now, haven't noticed the knots slipping YET. it does help to keep scum from building up on the line in the warm summer months.
   attn: some types of paint will not adhere to surfaces coated with silicone. you will need to scrub or sand them.       fred

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity, but how does having any of these lubricants on your line affect the fish? I would think they can smell it, why else would power bait and such be coated with scents and flavors? Just wondering because I would think that it would maybe deter the fish. Maybe I'm wrong tho? :-\ ???

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2007, 05:42 AM »

silicone spray doesn't leave an oily residue like WD 40, it drys clear / odorless in just a few seconds. i think it was also sold under a different name as a cam - wheel spray for archery too, not sure how how that went over tho.     fred

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.