Author Topic: Look what happens with FireLine Micro Ice  (Read 5442 times)

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
Look what happens with FireLine Micro Ice
« on: Mar 02, 2007, 03:09 PM »
We are all looking for the best fishing line...and when my partner decided to re-load his reel for fishing lakers, he decided that
Fireline would do the trick...it is advertised as smooth running, little stretch, and no memory.  Perfect for jigging those 100-150 foot
depths for the big ones.  Mind you, we fish in the open, and today it was -22 when we hit the lake for the big ones.  The aggravation
is that the line ices up, and then doesn't unspool properly to let the jig down.  This is what it looked like after fishing for half an hour.

And this is what it looked like after he pulled in a 66 cm, 3.5 kg beauty.  Good thing it was a keeper, cause it was obvious that
we were through for the day.

I don't know if any of you have had this problem...and as I report this, he is out picking up some new line!!
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Look what happens with FireLine Micro Ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Wow thanks for showing  those pics. Those are pretty extreme temps I guess I wont be loading my rods up with that stuff.
We are all looking for the best fishing line...and when my partner decided to re-load his reel for fishing lakers, he decided that
Fireline would do the trick...it is advertised as smooth running, little stretch, and no memory.  Perfect for jigging those 100-150 foot
depths for the big ones.  Mind you, we fish in the open, and today it was -22 when we hit the lake for the big ones.  The aggravation
is that the line ices up, and then doesn't unspool properly to let the jig down.  This is what it looked like after fishing for half an hour.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

And this is what it looked like after he pulled in a 66 cm, 3.5 kg beauty.  Good thing it was a keeper, cause it was obvious that
(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

I don't know if any of you have had this problem...and as I report this, he is out picking up some new line!!

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Wow thanks for showing  those pics. Those are pretty extreme temps I guess I wont be loading my rods up with that stuff.
That's the problem...these aren't extreme temperatures for up here...it is almost spring, for heaven's sake.  Extreme was
fishing at -35 with a 20 kmph breeze!  For us, those are normal temps, but the Fireline MicroIce is made in Iowa!

flockshot

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2007, 03:53 PM »
yeah the super lines dont shed the water like mono...and even though mono does freeze like the pics above..it usually pulls apart a little easier. ive had the problem you show with super lines..but its rarely that cold so its never a "problem" so to speak.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Looks to me that you need a nice warm ice shanty with a heater to make that line work properly.  I had the same problem when using it on the bucket!

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2007, 04:35 PM »
I have not had much success with Fireline.  >:( Crystal stands out underwater, like wearing a new white tee shirt on a bright sunny day. Smoke is OK but after a couple of uses the color comes off. All I use Fireline for are snelling hooks for pike or muskies. I find that it is too stiff on a reel and that moisture beads on the line causing the freezing just as you have experienced. The line that I had the least amount of problems with freeze-up was a Yo-zuri Hybrid, a fluorocarbon/ nylon blend, and the Silverthread  AN40. ;)
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:03 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

I had that problem once...I talked w/ a Old Fart once and he said if I would spray Vegetable Oil on the line before I fished, that would never happen again...I did it and he was right..

The Oldies seem to know more tricks of the trade than we think.

Stan

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:10 PM »
I've never had that happen, and I've fished some pretty cold days, and Im a huge fan of micro ice. I wounder what you guys are doing different. I have fished in some pretty cold negatives and havn't had that happen. thats weird.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:32 PM »
I've never had that happen, and I've fished some pretty cold days, and Im a huge fan of micro ice. I wounder what you guys are doing different. I have fished in some pretty cold negatives and havn't had that happen. thats weird.

~Neal
I think it could be the depth....we are fishing very deep, and bring the line up quite a bit..fishing in 100 - 130 feet....and crank it up to 50..drop it back down..so it gets a lot of moisture.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:42 PM »
the key is to spray it with some reel and line magic that helps shed ice pretty well
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Bought some Fireline. What a disappointment compared to Cajun red at a third the price. In the clear water I fish it stands out like a sore thumb and isn't near as limp as the Cajun. The 4# Fireline looks like curley fries clear down to the jig. Plus even in +20 weather it ices up.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Bought some Fireline. What a disappointment compared to Cajun red at a third the price. In the clear water I fish it stands out like a sore thumb and isn't near as limp as the Cajun. The 4# Fireline looks like curley fries clear down to the jig. Plus even in +20 weather it ices up.
We're definitely re-spooling line in the very near future...will look at the Cajun red...hope it is available north of the border!!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:56 PM »
We're definitely re-spooling line in the very near future...will look at the Cajun red...hope it is available north of the border!!
Littlelady have you given Vanish a try yet?  Might be better for that deep of water.  Less stretch.  I also have Cajun and like it a lot.  Good fishing

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:16 PM »
I also love the Cajun, never had a problem with it, although in Western NY double-didgit negatives are pretty rare. I  suprised at how well the cajun worked.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Littlelady have you given Vanish a try yet?  Might be better for that deep of water.  Less stretch.  I also have Cajun and like it a lot.  Good fishing
Thanks...Sweetie says its a toss up between the Vanish and the Cajun red...we just have to see what is available.  Cold Lake isn't really
the end of the world.....but we can see it from here!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:37 PM »
Same story here. I love superline, but NOT on the ice!

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Someone should engineer ice-fishing "water strippers" that snugly fit in the eyes of your pole - some sort of compressive sponge the line rides through that is water/freezeproof and keeps the moisture off the reel as you jig at varying depths.

I already anticipate the comments on "strippers" so don't bother :) 

The oil trick is probably as old as the good book and does a pretty good job.  Just not sure of its impacts on line strenth/quality in the long run.
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:25 PM »
I have both the crystal fireline and the black thread type fireline. I have had problems with the crystal, but not the black thread type. The black thread type was $6 a spool at Gander Mntn, and the crystal was $1.99 at the Berkley outlet in Spirit Lake. I am going to switch the crystal out with the Cajun, that's for sure.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2007, 09:38 PM »
Littleoldlady, Cabelas has Cajun Red in all different poundage.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:07 PM »
We use vanish, on all our rods, and tip up reel leaders.

Offline miranick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2007, 06:09 PM »
I have used cajun red right next to other lines and the fish always go for the red. They claim that it dissappears after 9 feet, I'm a believer. Also user red hooks.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2007, 06:19 PM »
I have used cajun red right next to other lines and the fish always go for the red. They claim that it dissappears after 9 feet, I'm a believer. Also user red hooks.

Here's a question, why do some people use red hooks to give that "wounded or bleeding" appearance to bait, but use red line because it's the first color claimed to disappear in the water column??  Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2007, 11:58 PM »
I would go with pline
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2007, 05:42 PM »
Here's a question, why do some people use red hooks to give that "wounded or bleeding" appearance to bait, but use red line because it's the first color claimed to disappear in the water column??  Esox

Because red is pretty. ::) ;D

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:47 PM »
ya that happens to me when i use my ultra light outside but its nice line inside a shack or on warmer days but when its cold its crap :'(

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I use 20 pound power pro....never had a problem......coat the last 4 FOL with smelly jelly or vasoline  :tipup:

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2007, 09:11 PM »
I regularly fish in 100 to 400 feet of water with 20 lb test Fireline on a regular spinning reel on the trolling reels (Penn 209 etc) with 20 lb test mono 40 lb test Tuf Line Plus.  The mono and Tuf Line Plus work great but the mono does have a lot of stretch.  The Tuf Line Plus has been really nice to use....even in very cold windy weather.  My buddy uses Spiderwire Stealth on a regular spinning reel and loves his line.  I found that my 20 lb test Fireline does have coils in it but that is probably due to the small size of the spool.  Also, the line is new so is still quite stiff.  I use a fluorocarbon leader with the micro lines via a swivel in order to reduce any line twist to a minimum.  I am slowly phasing out the mono completely...too elastic.

A buddy of mine did a bunch of elasticity tests on wide variety of lines.  All the monos and fluorocarbons have a lot of elasticity.  The fluorocarbon lines were as elastic as the mono lines.  But the elasticity tests were not done to the breaking point of the lines.  Just a certain weight was tied to the lines and the results were measured.  Maybe the fluorocarbon lines quit stretching when they approach their breaking point but they were all similar to the monos during the tests he tried.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2007, 05:58 AM »
That is a good question. Like to know myself.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Quote from: esox slayer on March 03, 2007, 17:19:23
That is a good question. Like to know myself.

One word: Marketing!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:31 AM »
I would go with pline
yep.  p-line fluorocarbon, littleoldlady.  it's what i use...  btw, where are the pics of the fish??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.