Author Topic: Prep of Perch?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Prep of Perch?
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:44 AM »
I'm a complete novice on cleaning and cooking Perch.  What little I've done, results in such difficult eating, it is almost not worth it.  I slice off the fins, clean off the scales, and slice them up the belly and clean out the guts.  Then stuff with lemon, thyme, garlic and olive oil and wrap in tin foil and bake.  One time we put them in the coals of a fire, that was fun and enhanced the taste.  The flavors are good, but the eating is pain-staking - few bites without bones.

I'd love to hear your recipes and ideas on the subject........ :'(

While we're on the subject - how about chain pickerel prep suggestions too  ;D
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

grumpymoe

Re:Prep of Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:48 AM »
geez-how long does it take you to clean one fish ::)--i simply slab them first and skin the filet off and cut out the rib cage like most other fish. some anglers think its alot of work but 50-75 perch doesnt take long-regardless of size.i consider each slab one tasty forkfull.i usually dip mine in original shore lunch and deep fry-----yummmmm >:( >:( >:(

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:52 AM »
I agree with moe. I can fillet about 30 perch an hour and that includes set up, clean up and putting the bags in the freezer/fridge. While I do love the skin on, it's so much easier to fillet than scale and gut.
Pete Lewis

Exudedude

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:54 AM »
I too fillet them out.. It doesnt take long...  I also like them deep fried, but for a nice change up try this...

Fillet out.

Dry fillets..

Coat with mayo

place in pan, salt and pepper then cover with parmisean cheese.(real stuff not stuff for pizza in a can)

Briol for 7 mins or untill golden brown!!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:59 AM »
I never gut the fish or de-scale them.  The best thing is to get yourself an electric fillet knife.  One of the best investments Ii ever bought.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:03 AM »
I knew I was doing something wrong! LOL  :P

Where can I get an electric fillet knife?

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:08 AM »
Yep, fillet with a electric knife.  Good stuff.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:11 AM »
I only use my electric for big walleyes but they can be used for any fish. I suggest not buying one made for filleting as they can be costly. I use and know alot of others that use the regular ones like you carve your turkey with You can generally find them at K-Mart or Wal-Mart for less than $10.
Pete Lewis

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:12 AM »
Ok, just found one at Cabelas - now to email that on my Christmas list  ;D

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:13 AM »
I am with the eyedoc there I use an old GE electric knife that was made for carving the turkey.  It works great even on small perch.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:22 AM »
dogfish-not knocking the electric knife if you like it but i'll put my razor sharp knife up against any others any day of the week. (it doubles out in the wilderness for a dry shave). ;D

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2003, 11:16 AM »
I picked up my electric knife at Wal-Mart. I think it's an American Angler brand. This is a knife that is specifically made to filet fish. It has a bigger motor in it so it doesn't heat up as quick and also has a curved tip which makes the detail work (cutting out the rib cage) much easier. If I remember correctly it was around 20 bucks so not pricey at all. As the guys said, learn to filet using an electric knife and you'll never be sorry.    

bubby

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:08 PM »
I've got the Rapala 4" fillet knife which works well for most small size fish like perch. It came with a handy sharpening tool as well. I like to fillet and fry perch. I aslo use perch in fish chowder.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2003, 03:41 PM »
I've always liked the manual fillet knives,  whats so much better about the electric ones? don't they leave meat on the bones and cut through bones when you don't want them to sometimes.  I don't catch perch, but i do fillet a buch of salmon and other fish, i'm still apprehensive to get one.

grumpymoe

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2003, 03:46 PM »
fishermanjake-i'm with you--my faithful old rapala does the trick. ever see any of the guides up there with the electric ??? ??? ???

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:57 PM »
not in alaska.  i've seen the adds for them, but never been recomended to me by any guides.  I fillet tripple didgets of salmon every summer and my regular fillet knifes to the trick just fine, as well as for the triple didgets of other fish i fillet in the winter

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:07 PM »
My vote goes to the electric knife, nothing like it to clean fish.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2003, 06:45 PM »
Manual knives are good but the electric is faster with no down time for sharpening.My neghbors always ask me to fillet for them cause they can't get the hang of it.YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!
 I like the electric when doing more than 50 of the critters.It only takes a half dozen or so to get the nack for it.

gofish seven

« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2003, 09:01 PM »
Oh man............I don't know what an electric fillet Knife is........it is all a matter of what you know.  And there ain't no only way .........I am old enouth to know that by now........ but heres the thing...........if I had a nickel for every perch I have filleted from Wisconsin to Idaho to Vermont...........I could take the day off.  We all could.  I like my 6"  Rapala Fillet Kniferazor sharp.  I can clean a sink full of fish is a hurry.   But if an electic filllet Knife works for you..........more power to you.  It is the appreciating what you have gotten.  If appreciating the day and knowing how lucky you are.......wherever.... ..you are.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2003, 03:50 AM »
From perch to 22lb bluefish, all you will ever need is a 6" Rapala, if you take the time to learn how to use it. ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2003, 06:27 AM »
I use a electric and I don't really lose anything. I used to use a standard electric carving knife but I did lose meat with that. Didn't like it at all. Blades were to stiff and as walleye1 said the shape of the new knife makes all the difference in the world. Once I got my American Angler I did a much better job. I now have both a 115 v and a 12 v. I also have a few manual filet knives but as gofish seven said its what works for you. I have actually been know to use both depending on the type of fish and its size.  ;) The one thing I think we all agree on is ovidgsd is doing way to much work!! filet filet filet! ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2003, 10:33 AM »
I use a rapale knife to cut down through the back and poultry shears to cut through the ribs and the belly skin take the skin off with the rapala and freeze I cut the ribs out when i cook them makes cleaning quicker and only adds a few minutes work to cooking  ;D

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2003, 11:00 AM »
i've always been happy with my 'manual' filet knife.... then again... ive never used an electric one. I think the biggest key to using either of them is to KEEP THE BLADES sharp!!! i think that way too many people.... around here anyhow...... neglect thier sharpening duties thus making thier cleaning jobs MUCH harder. one time i could not find my filet knife (i was in the middle of moving) so i just used a regular kitchen knife to filet. it worked WONDERFULLY.... but it was VERY sharp!!

Melbs         :'(

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2003, 11:41 AM »
one time i could not find my filet knife (i was in the middle of moving) so i just used a regular kitchen knife to filet. it worked WONDERFULLY.... but it was VERY sharp!!

MOVING? Wife was packing? You were fishing?

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2003, 11:55 AM »
There is about as much question about using standard fillet knives to electrics as there is bucket fishing versus ice huts. Sure you can sit on a bucket with an old wrap line pole and a clip on weight for a depth finder, sitting in old wool clothes wondering if there are even fish down there, and have a great and memorable time. Or you can smoke em with modern technology! Here's to the smokers. But I still use a 4' rapala knife for taking the ribs out of the perch).
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Gillfisher-WI

« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:55 PM »
I too was skeptical about the electric fillet knives, I purchase a new boat this past fall and with the boat came a fishing package that included an electric fillet knife. I was going to sell it but for some unknown reason I decided to throw my inhibitions aside and try it out. The darn thing worked great and fast on the blue gills I filleted out. I could not find any meat left over on the skeletal remains of the fish. I did however switch back to the old manual knife for removing the skins. MY biggest fear in using the electric was that you would be cutting into the entrails, it didnt happen much to my surprise. I'll be using the electric from now on.
 ;) :D :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.