Author Topic: How much line on my artic tip up  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
How much line on my artic tip up
« on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:26 PM »
OK guys I bought the last of my tip ups and starting to rig them up for walleye , I want to use 30# test mason braided line ,8lb leader ,split shot and maybe a #8 treble hook, does this sound correct to you all ? also how much line should/could I put on ?  :-\  any thoughts I'm open to try anything as long as its legal in Wisconsin and catches me a walleye  thanks a lot guys!!  :bow:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: How much line on my artic tip up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Fill the spool to within a 1/4" of the end. The more line that is on there the better as it is a larger diameter and it takes less preassure for th fish to pull line off of it. You ca accually go down to 6lb on the mono if they are finicky But your set up soundss spot on for eyes. Best Wishes!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:07 PM »
I load mine with only enough to work the water depth and a little extra.  If you are working 10 feet of water, there is no reason to have 200 feet of line on.  Plenty of reasons not to.  Tie a barrel swivel on the end and you can adjust your all-important leader to the specific situation.

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:12 PM »
I load mine with only enough to work the water depth and a little extra.  If you are working 10 feet of water, there is no reason to have 200 feet of line on.  Plenty of reasons not to.  Tie a barrel swivel on the end and you can adjust your all-important leader to the specific situation.

im sorry I should of been more specific , I meant how much of the Mason line 30 pound , 50 yds or more?

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:13 PM »
The split shot rig is falling out of favor with me.  I feel that a slip sinker will offer less resistance weather offered suspended or on bottom.  My latest idea is to go with a slip sinker on bottom with a floating jig on the leader to get it up in the strike zone. If you use a swivel then you can rig up some pre-made leaders in all of the popular line sizes and with different hooks or jigs.  This type of preparation can give you more time to fish out there if you spend less time rigging.   The same leaders can be used for your other rigs as well.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:19 PM »
im sorry I should of been more specific , I meant how much of the Mason line 30 pound , 50 yds or more?

I am in agreement that the spool should be filled to capacity to facilitate it's smooth operation and it is worth the effort to do so.

One trick i know for getting the exact amount of backing on the spool is to fill another identical reel in reverse.   tie your leader to your dacron and then wrap it onto the other spool leader first until the backing is within 1/8 inch of the spool.  Then you wrap it back onto the tip up to have it be  the perfect length without any guessing. 

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:22 PM »
The split shot rig is falling out of favor with me.  I feel that a slip sinker will offer less resistance weather offered suspended or on bottom.  My latest idea is to go with a slip sinker on bottom with a floating jig on the leader to get it up in the strike zone. If you use a swivel then you can rig up some pre-made leaders in all of the popular line sizes and with different hooks or jigs.  This type of preparation can give you more time to fish out there if you spend less time rigging.   The same leaders can be used for your other rigs as well.
Physics says that a slip sinker on bottom will double the resistances or more to trip the flag unless your tip up is set up for the right half resistance settting to the weight on the bottom. I think?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:27 PM »

mono backer makes the spool spin smoother, (added weight) then i add 50 yards of dacron  on, then a 3-5 foot leader of momo or floro.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:45 PM »
I like to use vinyl coated line instead of nylon. Not sure what your opinion on that is, but either way, I would fill the spool. Good tip up line lasts for such a long time. Some of mine haven't had new line in 15 years. I think about 50 yards is about the maximum an average spool holds. You could lower that to 30 yards and be fine.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:35 PM »
OK guys I bought the last of my tip ups and starting to rig them up for walleye , I want to use 30# test mason braided line ,8lb leader ,split shot and maybe a #8 treble hook, does this sound correct to you all ? also how much line should/could I put on ?  :-\  any thoughts I'm open to try anything as long as its legal in Wisconsin and catches me a walleye  thanks a lot guys!!  :bow:

Arctic Tip-up?  As in Arctic Fisherman?  Beaver Dam Tip-up?

Anyway, if it is a BD, 50 yds is all you can comfortably fit on there, and most of those nylon braids come in 50 yd spools.......  And that way, it's still plenty of line for running pike too!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2009, 06:38 AM »
How come alot of the tip-up lines have only 25yds on their spools in the local stores where I live, I still need to put line on my 2 homemade traps that I built tis summer, I will not fish over 25ft of water, and most of the time probably 10ft, 25yds enough for me? Will mainly be pike fishing. Any help, well appreciated for this new tip-up user. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:20 AM »
How come alot of the tip-up lines have only 25yds on their spools in the local stores where I live, I still need to put line on my 2 homemade traps that I built tis summer, I will not fish over 25ft of water, and most of the time probably 10ft, 25yds enough for me? Will mainly be pike fishing. Any help, well appreciated for this new tip-up user. Smitty

I've had pike take more than 25 yds on me in 5' of water before, it all depends on how far that pike wants to run with it once they get hold of it.  If you only put 25 yds on, make sure you're on top of those flags when they pop, otherwise you could get spooled.  It doesn't take long for a pike to swim 25 yds.

More often than not, I might only get 15 yds off the spool when I set the hook, but there's always some runners out there that will take a lot of line, I'd go 50 to be safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.