Author Topic: New FL18  (Read 3075 times)

PerchBusterSD

New FL18
« on: Nov 01, 2003, 07:10 AM »
bought the new fl18 ultra pac last night and i like the design alot better than the fl18 i had. It has the posts right up front to charge and a cool tackle box holder in the back. the float holder handle is really slick

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:New FL18
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2003, 11:13 AM »
I saw the ultra pack. How does it compare $wise.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2003, 04:19 PM »
The Ultra Pack with dual beam retails for $479.  $439 for 9, 12, or 19 degree transducers...

Panfish2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2003, 10:48 PM »
A bit too many difference of opinions on the Vexilar 8 vs the 18, so I guess I might wait before I make the plunge.

One question for PerchBusterSD though. Did you buy  the 18 because of it's bottom zoom capability because you target yellow perch?

If so, would you please post your findings here, as I also target yellow perch, and I suspect you'll have safe ice long before I will. Thanks

SafeIce

« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2003, 04:52 PM »
Panfish,Don't ponder to long. The Local Gander Mountain sold out of all Vexies with in a week!! Thats 12 units!! I bought the FL-18 Pro Pack Wit the 9/19 ice ducer. One more place you might try for a deal is Vexilars website. If you go to there"Factory Outlet" Store link,They have dealer returns and recondition units. One good thing abot Vex's website "NO SALES TAX" Good Luck

Panfish2

« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2003, 09:01 PM »
Thanks SafeIce. Last I was at Cabela's, they had them stacked 4 foot high. but maybe I'd best get down there before they sell out. Printed out some of the good information from Vexilar's web site, and I've been studying it. Looks like they really have their act together.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2003, 05:38 AM »
Id defintly go with and FL18 over the 8, especially if you fish for perch. The zoom feature spilts the screen, and lets you see what happening on the bottom 6 feet. On the fl 8 in the fish ar dead on the bottom, and you put your lure down there (bottom) you aorta lose what happening as the lure gets mixed in with the bottom. The zoom on the FL-18 will show it (lure) its the main biggest difference compaired to the FL8. Also the Fl18 uses the new bright LED displays, which the newer FL8's have gone to (FL8SE). I think the zoom feature is important for Perch fishing. Most of the perch I iced last year where almost dead to bottom except during early ice. I actually tested my unit (just got it a few weeks ago) on the opne water off the boat yesterday, to get a feel for it, its hard to use on open water because your bait tends to drift out of the cone angle (using the ice ducer). Once I got into a real calm cove I fooled with it, I was impressed how it worked. Id sugggest getting well before season so you can familiarze yourself before ice time, that way youll be a fishing machine on day one!

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2003, 05:39 PM »
Hey FishDeep creek Try this I hung my transduser on a piece of conduit 3 ft. out the side of the boat. If the wind isent blowing you can stay right over the cone, If it's blowing youl have to ancor. But I'am useing a foot controle Elc.moter. Work's real good, allmost like ice fishing. 8) Last week I got several nice Pirch and Slab Crappies. ;D
Always keep your line wet!

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2003, 07:30 PM »
hi folks
i was wondering if anyone had any experience with a
lowrance x67c ice machine ? the only downside i can see
is the warranty . which is only one year . if anyone has a
point of view that would help me decide which one to buy
i would appreciate it . from what i can see the vexilar fl18
pro pack is everyone that has a flashers choice . thanks

Panfish2

« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2003, 10:14 PM »
Thanks for that information FishDeepCreek. I appreciate it very much. Most of the yellow perch I catch are hugging the bottom also, so I guess I'd best go with the FL18.  

BushMaster

« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2003, 08:03 PM »
Well gang, I have been using my clearwater classic ever since it came out on the market. I fish deep water lake trout in the winter as well as shallow water eye's and perch. My clearwater has served me well but it is time to upgrade. I have done my homework and have concluded that the FL18 Ultra Pak Dual Beam is the answer. So, when I get back in town I will be running into my local Gander Mountain and snag one of those bad boys! Thanks PerchBusterSD for getting me cranked up.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2003, 08:27 AM »
i like the ultra pac for its new features, the tackle box gives a guy a good place to store lures when you run and gun

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2003, 09:34 AM »
I didn't realize the ultra pac had a tackle box on it - that's kind of cool.  I have the soft pack with my Fl-18, and one thing I really like about it, besides the protection it affords the unit, is the fact that I can fit two of the little double sided plano jig boxes inside on top of the battery - very slick and handy jig storage for my forays outside the fishtrap!  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.