Author Topic: Dedicated GPS mounted on snowmobile/ATV  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dedicated GPS mounted on snowmobile/ATV
« Reply #30 on: Sep 09, 2022, 06:02 AM »
Question though.  For wiring this on the sled, is going straight to the main battery good enough or is there anything I need to do that I'm not thinking of?  I've never installed a fish finder on anything, so this will be my first.  I only plan on running the unit when the sled is running, so draining the battery "shouldnt" be an issue.

Thanks guys

I would wire it so the unit shuts off when the machine is shut off.  More than likely you will forget to turn off the Garmin at some point in time resulting in a dead battery if you don't.  I have a couple of Garmin 93's which are the same as your 73, just a bigger screen, they are easy to operate

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 09, 2022, 09:59 AM »
I would wire it so the unit shuts off when the machine is shut off.  More than likely you will forget to turn off the Garmin at some point in time resulting in a dead battery if you don't.  I have a couple of Garmin 93's which are the same as your 73, just a bigger screen, they are easy to operate

Awesome, thank u!  What’s the best way to wire it this way? 

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Sep 09, 2022, 12:27 PM »
Awesome, thank u!  What’s the best way to wire it this way?

Either come up with a wiring schematic, or do what I would, use a meter or test light and find out which wire is hot when running and dead when the machine is shut off.  Depending on your particular machine there may even be an accessory plug not being used that might be available.  A good question for your dealer if you have not had a need to do much wiring in the past.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Sep 09, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Either come up with a wiring schematic, or do what I would, use a meter or test light and find out which wire is hot when running and dead when the machine is shut off.  Depending on your particular machine there may even be an accessory plug not being used that might be available.  A good question for your dealer if you have not had a need to do much wiring in the past.

Appreciate it man. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #34 on: Oct 08, 2022, 08:55 AM »
I have a Helix 7 that I'm going to mount to my sled, and use in the shanty. Don't know which mount to use. Handle bar mounts seem to be like rear view mirrors, you have to turn your head to look at it. I'm thinking about mounting a ram mount on the dash, or the cowl right in front of where I'm sitting, then take the 7 off and attach it to my power box in the shanty.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 08, 2022, 02:13 PM »
I have a Ram Mount for a 5 on my handlebar.  Smaller unit but its pretty much in my field of view when I'm riding out.  Maybe more like "at a glance" or a "heads up display".  I don't have to turn my head to navigate.  I don't use the flasher function. 

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 28, 2022, 09:54 AM »
I use a dedicated Helix 7 on my ATV for GPS. I love it no more dealing with pulling out my phone while deciding where I’m going to setup. Helix 7 and lakemaster chip was a game changer for me.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Oct 28, 2022, 02:10 PM »
No regrets with my 5 either.  Navigating the larger reservoirs is considerably easier without stopping to pull out the hh gps every 100 yards.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2022, 08:13 PM »
Appreciate the replies guys.  Been super busy lately, but my plan soon is to find a way to mount my EchoMAP 73sv to my sled.  I was going to do a handlebar mount but want it front and center.  Trying to figure a way to do it with how my sled is setup.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 05, 2022, 09:14 PM »
I run my Garmin hard mounted to the handlebars on my Can Am using a Ram mount. 

I have it wired to an accessory battery so there never a worry about killing the starting battery on the quad.  This way I can leave the Garmin on while I hole hop to jig with the quad off.

I tend to be getting on and off the ice in the dark so it's  nice to have tracks on the Garmin to help you navigate when you can't  see beyond your headlights. 

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 20, 2022, 11:01 AM »
As per a previous post, I attached the circular base mount for my Garmin echoMAP 53dv via wood screws to a small piece of plywood inserted within the box structure of my snowmobile's handlebar riser. (Note: I detached the sonar mount stem & head unit from the base mount for the photos below.) A larger sonar model might require an additional RAM mount between the riser and sonar mount.

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 20, 2022, 12:07 PM »
My handlebar is slightly different on my Indy, but I am going to try hard to use that concept.  I dont have the circular mount, just the normal mount.  I really appreciate you posting that.  Helps a lot!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.