Author Topic: Garmin Striker 4  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Garmin Striker 4
« on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:40 AM »
I have a friend who is thinking about getting one to use on his kayak and next fall buying the ice transducer. I'm not familiar with them so I would like hear from those that have one. And please don't tell me he should look at this or that. He and I are only interested in this particular unit. TIA

Offline bottomrock

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Garmin Striker 4
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2022, 07:52 AM »
We run the striker 4cv portable bundle with ice transducer for winter and a clearvu transducer for summer.  Our model also has built in maps.  Some basic models don't, although those still allow waypoints.

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:03 PM »
I can't speak to the winter use, but I had a Striker 4cv I used on my kayak.  Worked great.  I think it's a nice little unit for the money.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:08 PM »
he should look at a bigger boat. ha ha lol

Offline robert.d12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:27 PM »
Mine works great. Been using it a few years. I use the normal transducer in the winter as well. The ice transducer me be better but I haven’t spent the money to get one yet, because I haven’t seen a need.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:47 PM »
I use a striker 5 on my kayak in the summer and in my shanty in the winter. The ice transducer is worth getting.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline 79rac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2022, 03:24 PM »
I have moved my striker 4 back and forth between my kayak, boat, and ice fishing kit.  It worked awesome for each application.  I am sick of moving in and re-rigging it.  I think I will just buy another one for the boat, based on how affordable they are.

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2022, 07:32 PM »
I have both a Striker 4 and a Striker 5. I like them both equally. The 5 is a little nicer because I can have the graph and the flasher on the screen at the same time, but the 4 running graph mode with the A-Scope turned on pretty much covers it all. The A-scope is basically a flasher in a vertical bar. The ice-ducer is nice to have, but there are ways to make the normal transducer hang straight and work on the ice, it just isn't as convenient.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2022, 11:21 AM »
I agree with all that has been said by others.  I have the portable model and later added the ice transducer.  I use it a lot ice fishing.  If you only ice fish once in a while Id stick with the regular transducer.  It works fine ice fishing, just a little less convenient.  If your a hard core fishermen, Id spend the money and get the ice transducer too.  I think the Striker 4 works great and is the best deal out there for the money.

Offline rpmilius

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2022, 03:44 PM »
I have the Striker Plus 4cv and it works well in open water. I bought the the GT8HW-IF transducer for ice fishing. Again, works well for that. Great bang for the buck.

One thing you should be aware of is that there's no way to share/store maps you create on it, if that's important to you. There are obscure ways to save/share waypoints, but not maps. Mine didn't have any maps installed. If you ever upgrade to another unit, you have to start over with mapping. I welcome to be shown otherwise! Also, since there's no data port or sd card, you can't update the firmware. What you have is what you get.

But for the price, it's a great little unit.

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2022, 02:15 PM »
I bought the Ice package this winter because the Hummingbird Helix's were unavailable . Was worried that it was too small but could see it fine . It replaced a Marcum LX 5 because the head end fried . I'm impressed with this unit and its so much lower in cost .

Offline brad3324

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2022, 05:03 PM »
I can't say enough good things about these  units. I made a Pvc set up for ice because I'm cheap. The ice transducer would be better. I was warned about seeing tiny jigs but they showed up great in 13 feet of water. My girlfriend loves it so I think I'll be buying another in the fall.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Was worried that it was too small but could see it fine.

For jigging in graph mode screens like the Striker 4 and Elite 4 are better than the Striker 5 or Helix 5 because they are taller.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline raindaddy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2022, 08:45 PM »
I can't say enough good things about these  units. I made a Pvc set up for ice because I'm cheap. The ice transducer would be better. I was warned about seeing tiny jigs but they showed up great in 13 feet of water. My girlfriend loves it so I think I'll be buying another in the fall.

you have pictures of the pvc by chance?
Man
I
Love
Fishing

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2022, 07:34 AM »
For jigging in graph mode screens like the Striker 4 and Elite 4 are better than the Striker 5 or Helix 5 because they are taller.

I have both the 4 and the 5. I like the 5, since I can use both the graph and the flasher at the same time, but I usually just watch the A-Scope anyway.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.