Author Topic: RDIGID 9AMP BATTERY TO 12V ADAPTER  (Read 8284 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
RDIGID 9AMP BATTERY TO 12V ADAPTER
« on: Dec 21, 2019, 04:21 PM »
anyone try a 3d printed plate that works on ridgid batteries so we can add a 18vdc input to 12vdc out put regulator to use with 12 volt electronics?

since we have the battery for our drill, why not? with the lsa, it will be lifetime power source for 18v and 12v.
amazon has both components for about 35$

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: RDIGID 9AMP BATTERY TO 12V ADAPTER
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:32 PM »

Yes, I did this and it works just fine.  One on thingiverse.com labeled “Ridgid 18v battery connector”.  It shows using parts from an electrical socket for the contacts.  Get one of the small step down transformers as you suggested from Amazon, there you go.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2019, 04:37 PM »
I'd personally step down to an actual 14volts, not all the way down to 12volts.   

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2019, 06:39 PM »
i like the idea of repurposing the 3 way outlet thanks for the tip!

which transformer did you use for the 14vdc?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2019, 05:39 PM »
the adapter
https://www.amazon.com/battery-adapter-Ridgid-li-ion-connector/dp/B07V1KDKZ6

still waiting to hear about the 14vdc transformer

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Im getting one
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Here’s just one of many adjustable step down transformers.  Can set it for any output voltage you want/ need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ2GQJF/ref=emc_b_5_mob_t

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:15 PM »
thanks for the link. reading thru the comments about water proof. they say it needs to venalate in or out of a water proof case.

looking to be able to bolt it to adapter and be water resistant. some thing like these but in  14vdc
https://www.amazon.com/Nextrox-Converter-Regulator-Transformer-Waterproof/dp/B00BWKXTUU

this will be fine, but 14vdc  would be best.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2019, 08:05 PM »
still waiting to hear about the 14vdc transformer

Transformers only work with AC! ;D  You'll need a buck converter to drop from battery voltage to your desired load voltage. 

I only suggested a target of 14 vs 12 out of principle, because you'll have a better running sonar at the higher voltage.  Less noise, more efficiency. No need for the display, just wasted electrons.  I'll look and see what I can find specifically for wet conditions.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2019, 08:23 PM »
thank you!

after hearing the model i was able to find it on amazon. i can get both parts from one place now. thanks again.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-DROK-Adjustable-Step-Down-Transformer/dp/B07PBF2TLG

i know 12vdc appliances are designed to run on 14vdc. while working on 2-way radio if we bought 12vdc mini lamps for meter displays they would not last long at all. switched to 14vdc and they lasted much longer.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2019, 09:58 PM »
You could build your own voltage regulator about $5
LM317 variable regulator 1.5v to 37v in/out
2 resistors to set output volts
2 spade logs to connect to battery.
Ebay order usually has free shipping. Detailed build instructions on internet along with a calculator for resistor values. Mold it in non conductive silicone to prevent shots.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2019, 10:10 PM »
I used a Milwaukee power source wired to my Ridgid for that exact purpose, it has a 12V out, and a USB out too..

<°)))>{

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:05 AM »
I used a Milwaukee power source wired to my Ridgid for that exact purpose, it has a 12V out, and a USB out too..

I also use the Milwaukee 12v adapter only I use Milwaukee M18 batteries. Top pics mounted in my DIY under water camera. Bottom pic mounted on the battery. As all ice fishing electronics are 12v and under 1 amp draw (1000ma), my Fule drill batteries supply the 12 volts. Caution do not try to power something greater than 1 amp draw, you will burn out the adapter.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2019, 09:59 AM »
after reading on this site that the milwaukee 12vdc output is dirty and very limited amp output and i want to use ridgids batteries as they are free to replace always when they wear out and now i want 14vdc since it is way better and available, and not use 12vdc is why i am trying to put together the 14vdc ridgid power supply. just getting away from using up the milwaukee will be nice even if i end up building the 12vdc 10 amp or 12vdc 20 amp. at least now we know it's all available.

14vdc 3 amp output is better than what is commercially available now and we can use it on our ridgid batteries. the drok 14vdc unit is adjustable too so it can be used for other applications.

i already have what is commercially available.

after looking at the the outside of the ridgid 5vdc converter it looks like there maybe room inside to use it as an 18vdc tap so you wouldn't need to buy the 3d plate. there's even a screw already in it to hold the belt clip that could hold the drok converter.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Here’s just one of many adjustable step down transformers.  Can set it for any output voltage you want/ need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ2GQJF/ref=emc_b_5_mob_t
That one is pretty much the same one that I used to build mine 2 years ago , I set the output at 13vdc and put it in a waterproof box and modified a adapter for all 20vdc and larger batts and it can put out 5amps if needed

Also picked up a usb adapter for phones and shanty lights. I run my vexilar on 1 batt and my cell phone charger and the drill all on their own batts. I use the adapters all the time all year long one the best things that I use for fishing and camping

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2019, 05:32 PM »
 3300 - I'd just accept the inevitable and go Garmin.  That'd let you tap straight out of your rigid so you can save them buck converter bucks for an lvs32.  :-*

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2019, 06:28 PM »
i hear you about garmin and i will more than likely go that route eventually. i do like their products and own several. i have the money in hand to buy the livescope, but after picking it up in person and feeling the weight and how huge it is and then the limitations and knowing they are working on upgrades, i am waiting for them to downsize their line up.
they just lowered the price of their echo maps 73sv and 93sv because of the newer head that doesn't need the black box for side scan anymore.

one could jump in now, but i have watched electronics for a long time and will wait until it suits me. look at the marcum rt-9 was crazy money and now it's about half price.
garmin is dropping price some now to, but to make room for better heads. maybe a few more years i'll be using one.

i don't need to use my power tool batteries for any thing except power tools and we don't have the ready made option to use them for 12 volt using 18vdc ridgid brand. the most it will be is 35$
i use a lithium shuttle and carry a lithium battery in an ammo box, so i am good for power now. 

having the option to use the ridgid batteries for 12vdc applications is what i am working on as an option that others can enjoy too.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:22 PM »
found a 5amp output with adjustable voltage output for a couple more dollars and water proof.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converter-Adjustable-Transformer-Stabilizer/dp/B07KWX33X5

Offline FishSandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2020, 08:42 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143319115001

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-CONVERTER-24V-DOWN-TO-12V-VOLT-VOLTAGE-5A-BUCK-MODULE-REDUCER-REGULATOR/173974761939?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I ordered both of these and plan to run my helix 7 off of a Ridgid 9ah Lithium battery ( Same as my auger )

This way im spending $100 on a battery I could use for multiple applications rather then just a 12v battery that will only get used during our 1.5 months of PA ice

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2021, 04:30 PM »
I followed this thread for a while, but in the mean time I found another that questioned the need for the DC-DC converter. The electronics in a graph and probably most others runs on much lower than 12V, so the only thing is to see what the range is that the internal voltage converter in your unit can take. Gunflint has checked with Garmin, and they can take 20V. He has used it on his Garmin unit successfully, and I just built a conversion for mine. Fires right up with a 4AH Ridgid 18V tool battery and the adapter 3300 shows below. I pulled out all the guts for the USB power supply and ran a pair of wires out with spade connectors to mimic the SLA battery in my ice kit. Made a wooden stand to hold the adapter to make installing the battery easier, and I am off to fish with it tomorrow. I saves 3 1/2 lb over the SLA battery, and can use the pile of Ridgid batteries I am accumulating.

Offline mediummac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2021, 04:33 PM »
vexilar says there units can take up to 20  volts with no problems run mine on a 18 volt Milwaukee battery no problem no need to step down voltage

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2021, 04:47 PM »
I did not want to speak for other units without checking, but it seems like most of the major brands could possibly work. The problems I have heard of is that your battery gage of course does not work, and there is nothing to keep you from taking the tool battery down to below wha the manufacturer recommends for most recharge cycles.(the sonar will for sure work down to around 9 V), so you need to monitor the charge on your battery and switch before it gets too low.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:11 PM »
vexilar says there units can take up to 20  volts with no problems run mine on a 18 volt Milwaukee battery no problem no need to step down voltage
But what happens if the battery is over 20 Volts?
Be aware that some power tool battery packs fresh out of the charger can be as high as 24 volts or more.
When I spoke to Vex a number of years ago they stated nothing over 16 volts, their instructions state 10.5-16 volts.
I ran into the same thing with Humminbird
I think if it were me I would have "THE" company that quoted you a voltage range to put it in writing!
Electronics are just way to expensive for me to experiment with.
Just saying.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:55 PM »
But what happens if the battery is over 20 Volts?
Be aware that some power tool battery packs fresh out of the charger can be as high as 24 volts or more.
When I spoke to Vex a number of years ago they stated nothing over 16 volts, their instructions state 10.5-16 volts.
I ran into the same thing with Humminbird
I think if it were me I would have "THE" company that quoted you a voltage range to put it in writing!
Electronics are just way to expensive for me to experiment with.
Just saying.

All of my 18v drill batteries of various brands are over 20V fully charged. My humminbird didnt like 20.5, 20.2, or even 19.8v.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2021, 10:31 PM »
For sure check this out and be careful! I looked at what others were doing for a year before I dared try it myself.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2021, 10:30 AM »
I did not want to speak for other units without checking, but it seems like most of the major brands could possibly work. The problems I have heard of is that your battery gage of course does not work, and there is nothing to keep you from taking the tool battery down to below wha the manufacturer recommends for most recharge cycles.(the sonar will for sure work down to around 9 V), so you need to monitor the charge on your battery and switch before it gets too low.

Almost all drill batteries have a controller in them that will shut the battery off when the voltage reaches the minimum setting. The only way to drain it farther is to keep an extremely low load on it that the controller cannot catch. ie leaving a voltage controller hooked to it for a long period of time or after the battery cuts you off. Most flashers are 200+ mah draw and LED strips are way higher, I would think the battery would catch that and shut it off in time but maybe some wont. With the ability to use most batteries in low amp tools/items now (inverters, usb, heated items, lights) they should catch a 200mah draw and not let you over discharge the battery.

Easiest way to check would be to just get a digital voltage output and mount it to your flasher or battery box for lights and keep an eye on it. Maybe use a battery in a tool for a while until it dies and then record the voltage so you know when to stop. But if you are running a normal flasher with low draw, you arent running a 4ah+ drill battery out of charge in one day of fishing. Just recharge when you get home. For lights, it should catch a 1A+ draw easily and not let you hurt the battery. I can run my flasher for 14 hours without using half of my 4ah ryobi drill battery.

Disconnect your battery adapters when not in use and you will be fine.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:05 PM »
Almost all drill batteries have a controller in them that will shut the battery off when the voltage reaches the minimum setting. The only way to drain it farther is to keep an extremely low load on it that the controller cannot catch. ie leaving a voltage controller hooked to it for a long period of time or after the battery cuts you off. Most flashers are 200+ mah draw and LED strips are way higher, I would think the battery would catch that and shut it off in time but maybe some wont. With the ability to use most batteries in low amp tools/items now (inverters, usb, heated items, lights) they should catch a 200mah draw and not let you over discharge the battery.

Easiest way to check would be to just get a digital voltage output and mount it to your flasher or battery box for lights and keep an eye on it. Maybe use a battery in a tool for a while until it dies and then record the voltage so you know when to stop. But if you are running a normal flasher with low draw, you arent running a 4ah+ drill battery out of charge in one day of fishing. Just recharge when you get home. For lights, it should catch a 1A+ draw easily and not let you hurt the battery. I can run my flasher for 14 hours without using half of my 4ah ryobi drill battery.

I have some very old Ridgid batteries- before they even had charge meter lights.   The 73SV uses more current than than your flasher. Manual says 800 mA typical. That would be about 10W, so a 4 AH 18V battery might do 8 hours. It does have battery voltage on the screen, and I set an alarm for 17.5V I also reduced the screen brightness to 60% and it lasted fine.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:06 PM »

Yes "most" power tool batteries have a controller that can shut the battery off when the voltage drops to a certain voltage WHEN it is connected to the tool it was designed for (drill, flashlight etc).
I am not aware of a power tool battery that will "shut" off if the voltage is just taken of the battery when not in a tool, there maybe one but I've not seen it.
As a mater of fact most Makita batteries if drawn down too far will NOT recharge and the battery controller will "set" the battery as bad. The charger thinks that one of the cells is bad, self preservation fire prevention.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:10 PM »
I have some very old Ridgid batteries- before they even had charge meter lights.   The 73SV uses more current than than your flasher. Manual says 800 mA typical. That would be about 10W, so a 4 AH 18V battery might do 8 hours. It does have battery voltage on the screen, and I set an alarm for 17.5V I also reduced the screen brightness to 60% and it lasted fine.

Dont forget with the right converter you get more AH rating by reducing the voltage.. so there is that possibility with drill batteries. But just divide my time by 4 to get yours on MY setup. Everyone's is different. My buddy runs his 73sv off of the fuel battery with their adapter to 12v, and he doesnt even come off full charge reading during a day of fishing. With 5ah battery. He runs brightness maxed and on graph mode.

EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.