Author Topic: Minimum battery size?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Minimum battery size?
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:58 PM »
I have a 1st gen Helix 5 dI gps and have been running a 7a battery.  Is that enough or should I go bigger?  Thx

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Minimum battery size?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:03 PM »
Is this a trick question? You say you've been running it. So you should know how long it lasts, right? If it's not lasting as long as you need it to, then go bigger.

If I was buying new and had the money, I'd just get a lithium and be done with it. A 12 volt 10 amp hour would be my choice.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:07 PM »
No trick question.  It’s from my Vexilar 8 and was thinking of selling the vex.  So I would need a new battery for the Helix

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:52 PM »
No trick question.  It’s from my Vexilar 8 and was thinking of selling the vex.  So I would need a new battery for the Helix

Ok. I get it now. I think you should go bigger then. But also depends on if your only going out for a couple hours at a time.

If your like me and go out for 5 hours or more at a time then 9 anp hour lead acid would get you by. Lithium if you plan to fish all day or plan on going for two days without charging.

I have the 7 but I haven't had it out on the ice yet. Still waiting for the Humminbird kit to come in. I read that you need to turn the brightness down to about half way to get better battery life. The Helix uses a good amount of battery.

I just got a lithium 12 volt 10 amp hour to run with my Helix 7. That way I know I won't run out of juice on a long day of fishing. Now I just need my transducer and other parts to show up. I hope this helps.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:25 PM »
I had a 9 aHr SLA battery on my first gen Helix 5 before I sold it and I fished for over 10 hrs and didn't dent it....

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:23 AM »
I just bought a new battery for my backup unit (Lowrance x67c) and it's pretty good on battery use.

They had a 4Ah at ADI and i seriously considered it but went with the 7Ah. I do think the 4 would have been fine since it never goes below 70%
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.