Author Topic: Ice helix 5  (Read 1233 times)

Offline mdshiner

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice helix 5
« on: Mar 21, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Just wondering  how the ice helix5 is .is the screen  to small  too see   and how the battery run time  like to get one for next year 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice helix 5
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2021, 02:51 PM »

I have an older helix 5 without GPS , I run the back light at 5 in my flip no problem at 64 seeing the screen , I put a 12v 10amp lithium battery in it and I get 30 hours think I could get 40 but never chanced it

Offline mdshiner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Thanks  I like to get one this fall .I fish  in a shankty  .so I hoping the 5 inch    screen  will be big enough

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2021, 07:38 PM »
I just bought the Helix 5 for ice fishing and for my boat.  The screen is fine, especially in the ice shanty.  I have not been able to see it well in the daylight.    I think it will be fine for my boat too as I plan to mount it right in front of me in my tiller boat.  It will be less than 3 feet away, close than in my shanty.  I need to fiddle around with the screen colors so I can see it in daylight.  I looked at the 7, but thought it was just to big to haul around all the time.
I swapped out the battery to a Lithium Ion and the longevity was amazing!

Offline mdshiner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2021, 06:09 PM »
Thanks .will be looking  to get soon 

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2021, 08:13 AM »
Ive got a helix 5 for my kayak that i rigged up on a plastic ammo box for ice fishing this year. Screen was plenty big enough for me. I run flasher on the left and regular scrolling sonar on the right. Running either just sonar or split screen sonar/GPS in the summer i haven't had a problem with size or brightness of the screen.

Run time will depend on the battery you are running it on. That is up to you and how much money you want to drop on a battery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.