Author Topic: Garmin Striker Plus 5cv is wonderful!  (Read 4303 times)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Garmin Striker Plus 5cv is wonderful!
« on: Feb 19, 2021, 04:55 PM »
I've used a Marcum VX-1 Pro for several years and am absolutely satisfied with it.  I just replaced the 6-year-old battery and that's the first thing I've had to do to that flasher.

I decided to pick up a second sonar (one is none; two is one) so I'll have a back-up and a second machine for bringing friends fishing.  I'm super-pleased with the Garmin Echomap 93sv I have on my boat, so I decided to try a Garmin for the ice.

After trying the the old Marcum and the new Garmin side-by-side, I prefer the Garmin.  And I did really try them side-by-side... they were in holes that weren't even a foot apart and both machines worked perfectly with no interference.  That was a nice surprise!

Marcum VX-1P pros:   
Super quick and easy to put into action.
Seems to show better target separation at the bottom.
Instantaneous response.
Adjust depth range and gain with a simple twist of the knobs.

Marcum VX-1P cons:
Makes a droning, humming sound that gets old after a few hours in a small flip-over.  (But not really even noticeable out in the open.)
It's a one-trick pony; it's a flasher, period.  No other functions.
No customizable features.

Garmin Striker Plus 5cv pros:
Options for viewing a conventional fish finder screen as well as a flasher, and multiple view combinations are available.
Plenty of customs options for all aspects of the unit's operation makes it easy to use for whatever your preferences are.
GPS to mark your hot spots or hazardous areas or map routes to get you there and back in the dark, snow squalls, etc.
Mapping option so you can take it out in your boat in the warmer months and map the bottom contours for display on the unit when you ice fish.
Absolutely dead quiet operation.
Clock, calendar, sunrise/sunset times, GPS position coordinates, battery voltage, etc. all easily displayed.
...and probably other pros I'm forgetting.

Garmin Striker Plus 5cv cons:
A little less convenient to set up (annoying clip to hold back rolled-up front cover instead of quick-and-easy Velcro).
Adusting gain or zoom requires navigating away from the sonar screen and going through menus/button pushing.
Slight delay between moving your jig and seeing movement on the display.
Not as easy to see in bright sunshine (although the Marcum can be a challenge sometimes too).

On paper, the Garmin has so many more features and capabilities, it would seem to be a no-brainer to choose it.  I still appreciate the old-school flasher for its convenience and simplicity, though and was surprised how much I still appreciate it after using the Garmin.  The Garmin can do so much more, it's way more bang for the buck and a much more capable tool.  I'm glad I bought it.

I would be content using either.  It's a joy to have both!    :)

Bob

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Garmin Striker Plus 5cv is wonderful!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:36 PM »
I have one and didnt notice much lag on ultra scroll.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:05 AM »
I have one and didnt notice much lag on ultra scroll.

I haven't tried setting it at Ultrascroll since the instructions said it was for use when moving at higher speeds and gives "reduced image quality."  I'll have to give a try.

As it is, the lag isn't enough to bother me at all.  But there is a bit of it, especially compared to my old-school flasher.  I've had a chance to use the Garmin a few more times.  I really like it!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:27 AM »
I haven't tried setting it at Ultrascroll since the instructions said it was for use when moving at higher speeds and gives "reduced image quality."  I'll have to give a try.

As it is, the lag isn't enough to bother me at all.  But there is a bit of it, especially compared to my old-school flasher.  I've had a chance to use the Garmin a few more times.  I really like it!
for icefishing it makes it  be a real time sonar.good luck.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:29 AM »
for icefishing it makes it  be a real time sonar.good luck.

I attempted to use it when I was on the ice last, but it wasn't one of the selections offered on that page of the menu.

While I was looking at some things on the Garmin site recently, I noticed a .pdf file of ice fishing instructions for the Striker Plus 5cv.  These were in addition to the standard instructions; a separate file.

They recommend using the Ultrascroll setting for ice fishing use.  The instructions also recommended the frequency setting of "Dual Frequency 200/50 kHz".  I had been using "CHIRP".  That was why I was unable to select "Ultrascroll" and also why I was getting a huge 60˚ cone from the GT8HW-IF ice transducer (as evidenced by the cone coverage readout on the A-scope).

I've been completely pleased with the performance of the 5cv so far and I'm anxious to use it with the recommended ice fishing settings.  I didn't go out today due to a high wind advisory.  It might be a couple of days before I get on the ice again.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:21 AM »
I fished with mine all day on Saturday.i like it but it makes my eyes hurt looking at it when the sun came out.im making a sunscreen for it out of a small trash basket from the dollar store i saw on YouTube.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:49 PM »

They recommend using the Ultrascroll setting for ice fishing use.  The instructions also recommended the frequency setting of "Dual Frequency 200/50 kHz".  I had been using "CHIRP".  That was why I was unable to select "Ultrascroll" and also why I was getting a huge 60˚ cone from the GT8HW-IF ice transducer (as evidenced by the cone coverage readout on the A-scope).

None of that makes any sense. At all.  The GT8HW is not a "Duel Frequency 200/50kHz" unit it is variable between 145 and 255kHz, it does not have anything close to a 60deg cone, and what you set it to as far as beam width/frequency has no effect on scroll.  If the A-scope is saying 60deg then I'd be willing to bet you've got the wrong transducer selected.

Somewhere in the settings (I think it's in the Vessel tab) there is a list of compatible transducers.  Double check that and make sure that you've actually got GT8 selected and not the CV transducer that came with it.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:18 PM »
My gt8 is 16 to 24 degrees and doesnt have cone angles status in the ascope.i use chirp and have ultrascoll in my menu.i have a garmin striker 5 plus cv in the ice pack.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:31 PM »
I also have the Striker Plus 5cv Ice Bundle.  I just looked at all the settings this afternoon.  I do have the proper (GT8HW) transducer selected.  When I had the frequency set as "CHIRP" and no specific cone angle selected, my cone reading at the base of the A-Scope was 121' when I was fishing in 91 feet of water.  Do the math.  That's darn close to 60˚.

But I think that reading may be incorrect.  Today, I changed my cone angle setting to 16˚ and had a depth of about six feet and an A-scope reading of the cone size at five feet.  At 16˚ I'm thinking that should have read something more like a little more than two feet.

I may have been mistaken on the part about not being able to select "Ultrascroll" but I do know I tried to change that setting after Dr.Speckler recommended it and only saw a choice of "Fast" and "Slow".  Otherwise, I would have changed it.

Here's a link to the ice bundle instructions so you can see them for yourself:
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Striker_Plus_Ice%20FIshing_Manual_EN-US.pdf

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:35 PM »
My gt8 is 16 to 24 degrees and doesnt have cone angles status in the ascope.i use chirp and have ultrascoll in my menu.i have a garmin striker 5 plus cv in the ice pack.

The Plus 4 doesn't show the cone angle on the A-scope either, just frequency in the lower left corner. 

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:43 PM »
I also have the Striker Plus 5cv Ice Bundle.  I just looked at all the settings this afternoon.  I do have the proper (GT8HW) transducer selected.  When I had the frequency set as "CHIRP" and no specific cone angle selected, my cone reading at the base of the A-Scope was 121' when I was fishing in 91 feet of water.  Do the math.  That's darn close to 60˚.

But I think that reading may be incorrect.  Today, I changed my cone angle setting to 16˚ and had a depth of about six feet and an A-scope reading of the cone size at five feet.  At 16˚ I'm thinking that should have read something more like a little more than two feet.

Ok mine does list the feet on the A-Scope I was confused by the way you worded it.  That number is not cone width, it's cone area.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:52 PM »
My Striker Plus 5cv Ice Bundle unit, purchased in February, does show the cone diameter in the A-Scope, according to the instructions.  But it does not offer the choice of selecting 200kHz/50kHz as a frequency for the GT8HW as the instructions also plainly state.  BTW... those instructions are dated July 2020. 

I really think the cone diameter reading in the A-Scope is incorrect.  When I was fishing this week, I was working my way off a steep drop-off that went from a small island down to 92'.  As I drilled my way out towards deep water, my depth reading changed from 86' at one hole to 91' at the next hole, which was less than ten yards away.  If my sonar cone was truly 121' wide, I should have still be reading 86' at that last hole, right?  It seems as though a 121' wide cone would have still been covering that area.

Anyway, it's all moot.  I will get more familiar with the unit as I use it more.  I have a Garmin echoMap 93cv in my boat, a Garmin automotive unit in my car and two Garmin hand-held hiking units.  I use a lot of fairly complicated electronic stuff (two different high-end digital SLR cameras, R/C transmitters, have an FCC amateur radio operator's license, etc.) and love to read instruction manuals, so I never have much trouble getting the most out of these kind of devices.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:57 PM »
The instructions say the read-out at the bottom of the A-Scope is the "Diameter of the sonar cone at the present depth."  But if it was the area, as you say, that would make my 121' reading just about right for area of a 24˚ cone at 91' depth.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:44 PM »
The instructions say the read-out at the bottom of the A-Scope is the "Diameter of the sonar cone at the present depth."  But if it was the area, as you say, that would make my 121' reading just about right for area of a 24˚ cone at 91' depth.

No, not even remotely close...  ???

Area of a Circle = Pi*r^2  but Circumference of a Circle = Pi*D (or Pi*r*2)

To figure out the area, take the given cone angle and divide it by two. (Answer only works correctly for a right triangle, so you can't use the full angle, you have to project the cone into 2-D space, and then cut the triangle in half to get a right triangle. Multiply the answer by two the get the other half.)  Take the Tangent of that half-angle, and then multiply by the depth to get the radius of the viewing circle on the bottom.  Take that answer, square it, and multiply by Pi to get the area on the bottom.

In your case, Tan 12º = 0.21256
0.21256*91' = 19.343' radius
Pi*19.343'^2 = 1,175.39 ft^2 area

HOWEVER...

Diameter = 19.343'*2 = 38.685' <--This is the size circle you're seeing on the bottom at 24º in 91 FOW.

Take the diameter and multiply it by Pi to get circumference.

38.685'*Pi = 121.53'

It seems REALLY odd that the sonar would read out the Circumference of a circle...  :wacko: :cookoo:

ETA - For what it's worth, it takes a 53.13º cone angle to see a diameter on the bottom exactly equal to the depth of the water column.  A 28.07º cone views a circle on the bottom equal to exactly half of your depth.
Tight lines!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:54 PM »
Thanks Dinky!  Holy cow... I'm really embarrassed by my mathematics and won't even tell you how I came up with my incorrect figures. ::) 

It's been more than a few years since I scored 98% on the NY Regents Geometry exam.  I better get some remedial tutoring before I attempt any further computations! 

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Thanks Dinky!  Holy cow... I'm really embarrassed by my mathematics and won't even tell you how I came up with my incorrect figures. ::) 

It's been more than a few years since I scored 98% on the NY Regents Geometry exam.  I better get some remedial tutoring before I attempt any further computations!

No problem!  ;) lol

The readout number was really baffling me, and I had to try to figure out what it was...  Seems Circumference is the answer based off the math, but that is just strange.  Diameter would make SO much more sense. :shrug:
Tight lines!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:41 PM »
Ok, so it turns out I'm smart enough to find and use an online circle calculator but not enough to notice I was looking at circumference and not area.

I really think the cone diameter reading in the A-Scope is incorrect.  When I was fishing this week, I was working my way off a steep drop-off that went from a small island down to 92'.  As I drilled my way out towards deep water, my depth reading changed from 86' at one hole to 91' at the next hole, which was less than ten yards away.  If my sonar cone was truly 121' wide, I should have still be reading 86' at that last hole, right?  It seems as though a 121' wide cone would have still been covering that area.

Anyway, it's all moot.

Even a straight wall you will see a depth increase as you move further away because the distance from the transducer to given depth is farther at the edge of the cone then it is at the center.  That is why fish make hook shaped marks when you pass over them in a boat.

I literally never pay any attention to that number on the A-scope, I forgot it was even there.  It's not a piece of data that matters really. I adjust my settings to whatever works best at the time. 

You should try the 93cv on the ice sometime.  I know it's overkill but I bet it would be easy on the eyes.  Is that one of the ones that has like Netflix and stuff on it too?

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Ok, so it turns out I'm smart enough to find and use an online circle calculator but not enough to notice I was looking at circumference and not area.

Even a straight wall you will see a depth increase as you move further away because the distance from the transducer to given depth is farther at the edge of the cone then it is at the center.  That is why fish make hook shaped marks when you pass over them in a boat.

I literally never pay any attention to that number on the A-scope, I forgot it was even there.  It's not a piece of data that matters really. I adjust my settings to whatever works best at the time. 

You should try the 93cv on the ice sometime.  I know it's overkill but I bet it would be easy on the eyes.  Is that one of the ones that has like Netflix and stuff on it too?

I do realize that targets further out in the cone will read deeper... this darn thread has me so messed up I don't think straight when I post!   ::)

I guess the cone size read-out on the A-Scope really is no concern or use to me, but it is interesting.  And it's an advertised feature so I would expect it to work properly.

I did look into getting an ice kit for my 93cv but the price is ridiculous compared to the other Garmin ice kits... about $300.  That's why I decided to buy another unit to use on the ice instead.  I'll buy an open water transducer for the Striker Plus and mount it on the front of my boat during the warm weather months.  My 93cv is mounted at a the helm.   No... my echoMap 93cv doesn't have Netflix.  Yet.  ;) 

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:32 PM »
One last note regarding the Striker Plus 5cv:

Gain setting... 

I normally fish in around 35 feet of water in a very clear/clean lake.  I have been using the "AUTO LOW" gain setting.  On a recent outing, I drilled some holes and started taking a look with the sonar.  At first, the screen was nearly all red from top to bottom.  Shortly after, the screen got kind of empty and the depth number was flashing.  Something was not right.

It turns out that when huge schools of smelt or ciscos were filling the screen, the unit's software kept reducing the gain until it couldn't even get a bottom signal. When the schools of bait had gone past, I set the gain to manual, adjusted it until the noise was gone, and that solved the problem from then on.

This was not an issue previously but, as Spring gets closer, the schools of smelt start to get bigger and denser in the bays that have spawning streams.  I guess that was enough to fool the unit into thinking the top-to-bottom return was from excessive gain.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2021, 10:24 PM »
Oh man auto-gain is the worst, it never works well for me.  I always tune it manually to the conditions but even doing it that way bait can still mess it up if you have auto range on and the return is enough to trigger it.  Have you tried out the Time Variable Gain settings?  It's not good for tiny jigs in shallow water but in deeper water I like it.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2021, 05:07 AM »
Oh man auto-gain is the worst, it never works well for me.  I always tune it manually to the conditions but even doing it that way bait can still mess it up if you have auto range on and the return is enough to trigger it.  Have you tried out the Time Variable Gain settings?  It's not good for tiny jigs in shallow water but in deeper water I like it.

I agree about using the auto range... a big school of bait will have it ranging up and down.  It will make you nauseous looking at the screen.    :(

I have not done any experimenting with TVG.  The manual briefly mentions it as a way to reduce surface noise but some research shows that's not really the goal of TVG.  Thanks for bringing it up or I might not have ever learned about it!  I think mine is currently set to LOW or OFF.

The real goal of TVG is to compensate for signal loss at greater depths to insure that similarly-sized targets show a similar response regardless of being at different depths.

Transmission loss is two-way and is due to acoustic beam spreading and absorption in the acoustic medium. Signal compensation is applied by the echosounder or by receiver electronics through analog or digital signal processing. The desired result is that targets of the same size produce echoes of the same size, regardless of target range.

I frequently fish for lake trout in water up to 100 feet.  I'll have to experiment with the TVG.  Thanks!

Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.