Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 176021 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #150 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Guessing thats double that at least, my HDS unit says 30,000 on the box laying here.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #151 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:40 PM »
I own a humminbird 35C & it is everything I will ever need. It shows clear and most importantly it shows fish! I think they all do the same general thing (some a little better than others... of course). You really cant go wrong with any of these brands. :tipup:

Offline tjkpopup

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TjK
« Reply #152 on: Jan 12, 2011, 02:44 AM »
Whats the Best Cheap Handheld? like 150? maybe or will that not happen
 :tipup:
Ice Fishin Computer Tech

Offline brandbll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Vexilar is the only company i have ever run into in all of my life that offers a service for people that are colorblind.  I have worked at one of the highest established eye hospitals in the country, and not a single doctor here gives a crap about color blindness.  Vexilar took a step up in my book with that.

Like South33 said though, you really can't go wrong, especially with the big 3.  Only thing i haven't heard a lot about is Hummingbird's customer service.  I've heard Marcum's is good, and i've dealt now personally with Vexilars.  You can call over to Vexilar and the tech there will talk your ear off.  He told me a bunch of things to test and look out for in buying a used Vexy, was a lot of help. 

They all have something special to offer.  I really like the adjustable zoom Marcum has and is the reason i was going to get one over Vexilar.  But, Vexilar had the color adjustment to fix my colorblind woes, so, they got my business.  Also, i like the flat screens.  Marcum should start making those.  I was fishing last night in some heaevy snow and it's a pain blowing that snow out of the screen, gets all ver your face.

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:03 PM »
why isnt Lowrance x-67c on here?
Dont be Skunked

Offline Quinteman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I fished with a Micronar FL 8 (anyone remember that machine) and still have it...it worked great for years and still does, except for the fact that you couldn't see the screen in the middle of the day.  I switched to a Lowrance M68C but didn't like the slight delay of the LCD..and now I have a Vex 22HD and am very satisfied..no problems..remember, any unit is 100% better than no unit at all..good fishing!!

Offline coldtoekid85

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't ask me I'm just the kicker
« Reply #156 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:59 AM »
hummingbird 565 sonar unit... my father and i have been using our lcr units out of the boat instead of spending the money on a seperate system. it works exactly the same as a flasher as it is instantaneous response and it gives me a great display. plus the 565 is a dual beam so i get a nice wide view of whats goin on below me... slight upgrade from the 535 dad uses. and at $150 regular price its a nice break for the wallet

so if you dont want to spend the money on a seperate system look into trying your boats sonar unit... it beats spending 500 for a flasher you are generally going to use just for hardwater

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:47 AM »
hummingbird 565 sonar unit... my father and i have been using our lcr units out of the boat instead of spending the money on a seperate system. it works exactly the same as a flasher as it is instantaneous response and it gives me a great display. plus the 565 is a dual beam so i get a nice wide view of whats goin on below me... slight upgrade from the 535 dad uses. and at $150 regular price its a nice break for the wallet

so if you dont want to spend the money on a seperate system look into trying your boats sonar unit... it beats spending 500 for a flasher you are generally going to use just for hardwater

I agree! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dont be Skunked

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:21 AM »
There are some updates that need to be made, what all of them are I'm not certain but when I was looking for a new unit this year, I noticed that there are a few things that aren't accurate.
The Vex FL18 is wired for the charger, and it's included in the pack.  No attaching clips anymore, and it is a step charger that you can leave connected indefinitely.  (AFAIK, they're shipping everything that way now.)
Target ID of 1/2"
There were a couple of other things there, I can't remember them now.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #159 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Chevy= Marcum
Ford=Vex
Dodge=HB
Yota= ummmmmmmmm 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote

The only differnce is that "vex"  didnt take a MASSIVE government bailouts of tax payer funds and getting HUGE tax breaks on the tax payers also...... >:(
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:29 PM »
LOL true, but  Vex aren't made in the US anyway let the Japanese goverment bail them out  ;D

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Feb 10, 2011, 11:45 AM »
toyota= Lowrance = ol faithful
Dont be Skunked

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:33 PM »
toyota= Lowrance = ol faithful

Unless your in deep snow then they are stuck LOL

Offline Boxer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Feb 26, 2011, 12:54 PM »
This is just like asking a group of old lady's whose grandchild is the cutest LOL

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #164 on: Mar 02, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I`m a satisfied fl-18 user but I`ve never tried a marcum or ever seen one on the ice for that matter. I was wonderind about the interferance control on the marcum as the vexilar has a pattented interference control built into the gain knob.  You can use several of these unit really close together. I`m always trying to keep with what what companys are doing as an upgrade is always inthe works, I strive to collect the best without going broke.

Yep...Most people haven't seen a Marcum working on the ice. Nor have most Ice Fishermen Seen the Icegator ever cutting holes through the ice. I like Quality, and after I used my Marcum, I knew hands down this Fish Finder was the Best!..As for being Quiet cutting through the ice, instead of Turning through 18" or more of hard ice, I really like the Icegator. If I want noise, I'll bring my Getto Blaster on the ice and turn it on Full Blast..
Just my opinion  :P

Oh...As for Interference? Well, I only have to push the IR button 1 time..ONCE..all Interference will be GONE!!!...

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #165 on: Mar 05, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Wow,  I do not know anything :P about this stuff but am going to talk myself into buying one.  I saw this fellow on the ice the other day he had a Vex and I asked him about it, he said he would never fish without it.

Now I read all the stuff that was posted on this and I am now really confused.  a couple questions:

I don't think I need "zoom" as i see about  200$ change in  price without it. 

All I want is to see bottom (depth) my lure and where the fish is in the water column.

Is there a basic model that can just give me that ?  I saw a Vex in the 1st post that was about 289$ and I think that was what I am looking for.  Any opinions on this.  I would be mostly chasing Walleye with this.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Mar 05, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Wow,  I do not know anything :P about this stuff but am going to talk myself into buying one.  I saw this fellow on the ice the other day he had a Vex and I asked him about it, he said he would never fish without it.

Now I read all the stuff that was posted on this and I am now really confused.  a couple questions:

All I want is to see bottom (depth) my lure and where the fish is in the water column.

Is there a basic model that can just give me that ?  I saw a Vex in the 1st post that was about 289$ and I think that was what I am looking for.  Any opinions on this.  I would be mostly chasing Walleye with this.

Get a lowrance x 67c ice machine.

Low price (290 bucks plus free shipping on e-bay)

Both graph and "wheel" (vex/masrcum type display screens) on this unit.

2x and 4 x zoom.

Night modes, sensitivity adjustments, full color options (you set up the colors that work best for YOU, not what is given to you and have to deal with.)
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #167 on: Mar 11, 2011, 02:28 PM »

If you are after Walleyes, i'd get the Auto Zoom feature.

I have a Vexilar FL 18 Genz Pack. I got it for $360 on ebay this winter, free shipping as well. I can not tell you how key the zoom is when chasing 'eyes. Lots of time you may not be able to see if there is activity on the bottom in normal mode. Then flup on the zoom and you can then see in better detail if it's weeds, or fish, or just nothing. The price jump is a bit steep, but for sure worth it. It's not some gimmick feature that is useless.

So what you can do is get the low end Marcum vx-1 I think it is. My friend bought that one. Virtually identical feature wise to the FL 18. His was only $280 or so. Marcums look a bit different, but you get more bang for the buck feature wise. I love my Fl 18 and he loves his marcum. I spent $80 more dollars, so you be the judge.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline carcus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:49 AM »
If you are after Walleyes, i'd get the Auto Zoom feature.

I have a Vexilar FL 18 Genz Pack. I got it for $360 on ebay this winter, free shipping as well. I can not tell you how key the zoom is when chasing 'eyes. Lots of time you may not be able to see if there is activity on the bottom in normal mode. Then flup on the zoom and you can then see in better detail if it's weeds, or fish, or just nothing. The price jump is a bit steep, but for sure worth it. It's not some gimmick feature that is useless.

So what you can do is get the low end Marcum vx-1 I think it is. My friend bought that one. Virtually identical feature wise to the FL 18. His was only $280 or so. Marcums look a bit different, but you get more bang for the buck feature wise. I love my Fl 18 and he loves his marcum. I spent $80 more dollars, so you be the judge.
$80 is nothing, that vex is worth it, I have a 4 year old fl20 and just got a LX3, there is no comparing the 2, the vex is just that much better, the display is way to small on the marcum I don't know if it is any larger on the LX5, if it isnt, nobody on this planet could say the marcum is better than a vex, I have both, they would be talking poop, and I loose my lure all the time with the marcum and have to turn gain way up to find it, and then I get a huge amt of clutter?  Nice case though, sorry don't mean to offend just speaking the truth.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #169 on: Mar 31, 2011, 10:31 AM »

haha
Forget what everybody else said; Get a Humminbird!  ;D

I have the ICE 35 & 45 & they are great! They are very affordable & work flawlessly. The ICE models all come with zoom & I feel if you are going to get a flasher you would want the zoom, I use it all the time for jigging, & for salmon fishing. What ever you choose you will be happy with it. Good Luck!

-South

Offline carcus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Apr 02, 2011, 06:02 AM »
Humminbirds are the best value, the 35 is awesome, only problem you better not fish anywhere near another humminbird, never in the same shelter, the interference is aweful and cant be cleared by IR, they do work well with Vex's Marcums and showdowns.  I would have bought a 35, as a second unit but I have a couple buddies who have them and when I saw the all the interference I bought the showdown(mistake) traded it for a LX3 which is much better.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #171 on: Apr 02, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Humminbirds are the best value, the 35 is awesome, only problem you better not fish anywhere near another humminbird, never in the same shelter, the interference is aweful and cant be cleared by IR, they do work well with Vex's Marcums and showdowns.  I would have bought a 35, as a second unit but I have a couple buddies who have them and when I saw the all the interference I bought the showdown(mistake) traded it for a LX3 which is much better.

If there are only 2 'Birds than you can cancel out the interference by being on different beams, and playing with the interference levels.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #172 on: Aug 10, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Let's not forget to update this list when the LX-7 gets released.  ;D

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Aug 16, 2011, 04:48 PM »
If there are only 2 'Birds than you can cancel out the interference by being on different beams, and playing with the interference levels.
You can cancell out the interference by going on 2x for one bird and 4x for the other.....different frequencies!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #174 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:40 PM »
I'm going to pull the trigger on a flasher my budget is 3~400.
I have been looking at all my options and this is where I have questions.
I fish shallow 99 % of the time 8 to 30 ft.
I just need a unit that can see fish and my jig.
I'm torn between the Vex FL8SE the Marcum VX1 PRO and the Lowrance X67
Leaning towards the Lowrance X67 because it has the graph or flasher mode and split screen.
How does the X67 LCD screen perform in cold weather after hours of fishing with out a shack.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #175 on: Sep 28, 2011, 05:23 PM »
i have a fl 18 and a 67c love the vex but it now stays home , i have never had a problem with the 67 fished it in -20 in a flip over  but i would suggest a little stronger battery it does tend to use more juice than the hip no wheels , but i can get 10 hours out of it that is an average day fishing , being an ol buzzard i don't fish without a shack ,only first and last ice ,but I'm thinking of up grading to a hd5 ,i have Lowrance's on the boat and i couldn't be happier with their product ,just do some research they all work you just need the one the best suits your needs ,lots of time before ice - tite lines

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #176 on: Sep 30, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Buy the Marcum LX  5    , I have owned them all , My last buy is the Vex FL 22   . The LX 5 is a great all around unit , very brite display , the only dislike is the display is smaller than the Vex FL 20 or 22. Don't drive yourself mad thinking all about them like I do, Buy from my experience or what your pocket will allow . they all will help you catch more fish.....Buy a vex or marcum!!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #177 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Buy the Marcum LX  5    , I have owned them all , My last buy is the Vex FL 22   . The LX 5 is a great all around unit , very brite display , the only dislike is the display is smaller than the Vex FL 20 or 22. Don't drive yourself mad thinking all about them like I do, Buy from my experience or what your pocket will allow . they all will help you catch more fish.....Buy a vex or marcum!!!!!

you didn't mention Lowrance way cheaper and a lot more features and have been with all types including paper graphs now we are talking about all electronics not just the hip-no wheels, and from ice to boat ,and i have a fl 18 deep nice unit but the Lowrance out performs it i hate to say ,think i might just up grade to a hd 5 and that is structure scan capability, and can zoom any where in the water column ,just an ol buzzards .02 do the home work bro and by what suits your needs 

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:14 AM »
So, i am hoping to make my first purchase of a flasher. What do i get? or do?

should i buy a crazy old one off someone (kijiji) seen a old Egale 60 for $40 or spend $300 for what one

Marcum VX1 /  Showdown Troller / or FL-8

i cant find much stuff (reviews) on debating what has what and best for money.
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #179 on: Oct 16, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Check out the Lowrance 67c that's what I'm getting after 2 years of research.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.