Author Topic: Flasher Powered by RYOBI Battery HOW TO  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Flasher Powered by RYOBI Battery HOW TO
« on: Dec 24, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Today' project... Powering a flasher with ryobi 18v battery. I used a battery adapter with male spade connector to easily attach the battery. And then i used a DC to DC step down voltage converter to adjust the voltage down to 13.1v, its adjustable to whatever you need. (Probably should have fuse on other end of the converter incase of short). Running some tests now, I am expecting longer run time on 4ah ryobi than the SLA, but all i need is 10-12 hours.. according to spec i should get 20+ hours. Easily recharged when i get home, just clip it in with the rest and grab a fresh one. Could even carry a spare and still be less weight. /

Couple notes-
Humminbirds have over voltage protection if something was to malfunction, i dont know if other units do or not.
I tried straight from the battery and none of my units (3 flashers and two graphs) would run at 20.5V (actual output of these batteries).
All parts can be found on ebay, total cost for my build was $18.
It does fit back in my bag with PLENTY of room to spare, as you can see I used the largest project box I thought would fit comfortably so it wouldnt overheat (the converter does produce heat!!). I have this flasher in a lowrance bag, which is tighter than a humminbird. With the humminbird and the other knockoff bag I have there was even more room. No issues with fitting at all.

Weight of 9ah SLA- 5.65lb.
Weight of 4ah Ryobi- 1.6lb.

Obviously its not economical to buy all of this and a battery, you are better off buying a 12v lithium from dakota or amped. But if you already have the batteries like I do, well you can do this and save some money vs buying the battery and charger.

Dewalt and milwaukee offer a converter that outputs 12v already.. ryobi does not.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Flasher Powered by RYOBI Battery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2020, 02:27 PM »
Nice! 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Using a 4ah lithium+ (not the hp) i got 14.5 hours of run time and the battery was still at 2 out of 4 bars. That is PLENTY for me.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline buzz1670

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Can you give more info on the step down converter?Thanks Buzz

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Can you give more info on the step down converter?Thanks Buzz

Sure, I used this one (I do not mfg nor sell these) https://www.ebay.com/itm/XL4015-5A-DC-Buck-Step-down-Adjustable-Voltage-Power-Converter-w-LED-Voltmeter/142968844998?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It will have a voltage IN side in which you would hook up the wires from the battery of choice (the exposed part of wire just goes in a little clamp and is screwed down)
Then there will be a voltage OUT side which you will hook to your flasher (I used a plug system because I use my flasher on another setup as well)

There is a little part on the very top part of the voltage regulator that looks like a blue rectangle with a brass screw head on top. Once your board is hooked up to power, you will turn that screw with a small screwdriver to adjust the output voltage to whatever you want it to be (I chose 13v, anything from 11-14 should work well).

Then you are good to go. Might want to screw the board down to a project box or small container of some kind, they cant get wet.

Also these draw a tiny bit of current when hooked to the battery and flasher is off (16mah to be exact), so best to leave unhooked when you arent going fishing.

I used this to hook up my battery. Seems to be good quality, looks like its 3D printed and really thick, comes with a pair of spade connectors https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Adapter-Socket-For-Ryobi-18V-Battery-Output-Connector-For-Quick-Terminal/224181870587?hash=item343247dffb:g:n8AAAOSw-wJfex0L

All you need to rig up your flasher is the regulator, a battery adapter, two pieces of wire, and a project box or container of some kind.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2020, 10:07 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work versus just the regular batteries or the litiums.

I have never had an issue with battery run time.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2020, 12:25 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work versus just the regular batteries or the litiums.

I have never had an issue with battery run time.

It took me less than 5 minutes to assemble. If that is too much work then it's probably best to stick to buying things.

$70 for amped battery and charger. Vs $18 for this and use the battery you already have.

Plus you cut FOUR POUNDS of weight over lead batteries, really has nothing to do with run time or SLA not working.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Flasher Powered by RYOBI Battery HOW TO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:57 PM »
No issues at all with this rig on the ice. So far the longest my battery has taken to recharge after a day of fishing was 15 minutes and I have not been lower than 3 our of 4 bars on the battery.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Nice job. I always appreciate another DIY type mindset.

Offline mediummac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2021, 06:14 PM »
if your using a vexilar there's no need to step down your amperage

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:49 PM »
if your using a vexilar there's no need to step down your amperage

Good to know, thanks for the input!!!!
EYECONICFISHING