Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 73066 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #90 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:02 PM »
Prosty41, one of the reasons it was easy to sleep is that I hadn't gotten any from Friday morning until 9:30 Saturday night.  Between work, loading the gear and a desire to get bait at 6am there was no time for sleep Friday night.  We left at 130 and took the 4.5 hr drive up.  I drank 8 gallons of redbull...

Pics soon, photobucket app sucks...

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:10 PM »
No no I get it. I just mean our trip will be without sleep on purpose. One thing I wonder.. Why is everyone concerned about proper ventilation at night while running a propane heater but not during the day? I always keep my shanty cents open anyway

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #92 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:42 PM »

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #93 on: Jan 27, 2016, 02:31 AM »
Lowaccord66 glad you had a safe trip thank you for posting the photos. I have a question for you what is the purpose of using a car type battery wired to a power inverter and the inverter wired to the flasher. Due you get a longer run time on the flasher using this system then you would using the battery that comes with your flasher.
  Here is a link to a web site for people who winter camp. Most of the people on this site use the hot tent method with a small wood burning stove in the tent. You may find some useful information on this web site. Also congratulations on catching the yellow perch and pike.
Steve               
                       www.wintertrekking.com

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #94 on: Jan 27, 2016, 04:54 AM »
We used the battery to charge multiple electrical items.

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:22 AM »
I've been wanting to camp out on the ice for a couple years now. 

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to hang a hammock on the ice? ;D

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:23 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to hang a hammock on the ice? ;D

Dude, lots of hammock stands out there, both commercial and DIY.  Many of them would fit in a larger hut...
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:34 PM »
I've been wanting to camp out on the ice for a couple years now. 

Might be a good stand alone thread ?
Bud

Offline POLARCAP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:29 PM »
For those that put a floor down overnight: is there a problem with the floor freezing to the ice? or is the insulation sufficient despite splashing water and condensation. Thanks.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:27 PM »
For those that put a floor down overnight: is there a problem with the floor freezing to the ice? or is the insulation sufficient despite splashing water and condensation. Thanks.

We didn't cover the entire floor, only a section in front of the bunks where we changed clothes or warmed toes.  No freezing problems for us.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline POLARCAP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:59 PM »
We didn't cover the entire floor, only a section in front of the bunks where we changed clothes or warmed toes.  No freezing problems for us.

Thanks. When we had a rubber mat and a little overflow it froze solid.  It took forever to liberate with the blade of a snow shovel. I'd like to try the foam pad.  :tipup:

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:42 AM »
I highly recommend the Polar Bird shelters for this.  We bought two this year and plan on using them in place of our old double hub.  These have a floor and seem to bridge the gap for us.  We camp on the ice in hub shelters to save money on lodging.  Its extremely effective when done safely.  The Polar Bird shelters have a small port hole near the bottom for venting all the bad gases, plus you can run your generator cord and propane hose through it.  They are a sponsor on this site and seem to be very responsive.  I would check them out. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #102 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Got to saw, the interlocking foam mats worked great in conjunction with my cabelas popup...I personally have no need to investigate another shelter!

(We are going to do this trip again)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #103 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:05 PM »
we used to winter camp.  didnt mess with heaters in the tents though.  just get in your bag and remove cloths.  put cloths on before you get out of the bag in morning. its not really that bad till it gets in the teens. i wouldnt do it these days though. lol a lot wimpier now than i was in my 20s.  fun times fun times

your best buddy at night is an empty 2 liter with a cap. ;D  amazing how warm a bottle of used beer is in a sleeping bag.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:07 PM »
we used to winter camp.  didnt mess with heaters in the tents though.  just get in your bag and remove cloths.  put cloths on before you get out of the bag in morning. its not really that bad till it gets in the teens. i wouldnt do it these days though. lol a lot wimpier now than i was in my 20s.  fun times fun times

your best buddy at night is an empty 2 liter with a cap. ;D  amazing how warm a bottle of used beer is in a sleeping bag.

hahaha, just dont spill any.   ::)

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #105 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:17 PM »

So ducking true however Gatorade bottles have a little more room to dispense in.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:04 AM »
+1, what he said.  ;)

Offline ZachariahB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:41 PM »
I got a polar bird 3 T with an insulated floor.  It makes camping on ice totally comfortable.  It also has vents so heater stays on.  Add an air mattress and a zero degree bag, and I was totally comfortable.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #108 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I got a polar bird 3 T with an insulated floor.  It makes camping on ice totally comfortable.  It also has vents so heater stays on.  Add an air mattress and a zero degree bag, and I was totally comfortable.

My cleats would destroy that floor in a few steps...the interlocking garage mats are a life saver...and I didnt have to buy a new shanty either!  Pull up one or two to jig and then back in place when done
...works perfect!

Ill be camping on ice again in 2 weeks or so...

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #109 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Go buy a CO2 detector and put it in your sleeping quarters...   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:19 AM »

I have the 3T and now the 4T and typically camp on the ice when i can to save $ on lodging when traveling the state for ice.  I love all the features of the polar birds and i dont have to haul heavy mats in my sled anymore.  I use a zero gravity cot and a military ECWS sleeping bag.  i run my quiet honda generator for charging things and led lights then a big buddy heater for warmth with extension cord and propane lines running through the little port in the bottom of the tent so i dont have to leave the door/zipper open and then i vent the windows at the top.  Its perfect!  when sleeping i run two tip ups with alarms inside the shelter so i can keep fishing.  ;)  Works great for me, but im sure each person has their own preference of products and what not. 

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:22 AM »
My cleats would destroy that floor in a few steps...the interlocking garage mats are a life saver...and I didnt have to buy a new shanty either!  Pull up one or two to jig and then back in place when done
...works perfect!

Ill be camping on ice again in 2 weeks or so...

I have not had an issue with the cleats i use, but im sure if people prefer the aggressive style cleats then that would most certainly damage the floor.  I have guys in and out of my shelter with various styles of cleats, but i dont stop them to look.  I have no tears or rips to date...  The mats worked great for me for many years, but i was ready for a new shelter and i liked the weight trade off with the direction i went. 

Its good to hear more guys are staying out on the ice, im typically the only one on the lakes i fish.  we should really have our own club.  :)

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #112 on: Feb 10, 2016, 05:57 PM »
I just got back from an overnight stay out on the ice.  I was in my new Polar Bird 4T hub style shanty.  2 guys fishing, plan was to stay up all night and give 'er heck.  Well, I couldn't take it any more, and crashed around 2am.  I used a thermarest pad, my so-so sleeping bag, some base layers from Cabelas, and a pillow.  We had a Mr. Heater in the shack with us, kept it on low.  The wind was blowing a good 15-20 mph the whole time we were there, and the temps started at 20° and ended at 7° when the sun came up.   The Polar Bird did an amazing job of keeping us warm and out of the wind.  The only problem we had was bringing new snow into the tent after checking the tip ups.  Next time I will bring a beach towel to keep the floor dry.  These were about as bad of conditions I ever want to be in, but it worked out well.  I did buy a CO detector as well, and it never went off.  Picture of the morning sun.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #113 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:20 PM »
I stayed on Champlain last weekend as well.  Saturday night into Sunday.  I made adjustments...and I slept hard!  I had trouble getting up Sunday to get more bait.  Low of 27 was much easier to handle than -6.  So I used no heat which worked fine.  I can't wait to get a multi night trip in during last ice.  That should be awesome.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:42 PM »
I just got back from an overnight stay out on the ice.  I was in my new Polar Bird 4T hub style shanty.  2 guys fishing, plan was to stay up all night and give 'er heck.  Well, I couldn't take it any more, and crashed around 2am.  I used a thermarest pad, my so-so sleeping bag, some base layers from Cabelas, and a pillow.  We had a Mr. Heater in the shack with us, kept it on low.  The wind was blowing a good 15-20 mph the whole time we were there, and the temps started at 20° and ended at 7° when the sun came up.   The Polar Bird did an amazing job of keeping us warm and out of the wind.  The only problem we had was bringing new snow into the tent after checking the tip ups.  Next time I will bring a beach towel to keep the floor dry.  These were about as bad of conditions I ever want to be in, but it worked out well.  I did buy a CO detector as well, and it never went off.  Picture of the morning sun.

Just use a cot if you can spare the extra weight.  Keeps you off the floor.  The floor can get wet, naturally, but it beats the ice any day!  I will be staying on the ice this weekend.  Cant wait! 

I stayed on Champlain last weekend as well.  Saturday night into Sunday.  I made adjustments...and I slept hard!  I had trouble getting up Sunday to get more bait.  Low of 27 was much easier to handle than -6.  So I used no heat which worked fine.  I can't wait to get a multi night trip in during last ice.  That should be awesome.

I too want a multiple night trip before ice out.  I seem to sleep better out there.  lol

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Nov 17, 2016, 11:52 PM »

Wow, Great post and cool story.  Thank you for sharing and for the pics.  :)
The Polar Bird Team

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #116 on: Nov 21, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I have a buddy that does this every year in January at the derby we go to. He Has a wall tent that doesn't have a floor. He just uses ice screws to anchor it down. Then he whips out the wood stove and lights a fire in it. His wall tent is super warm and by the end of the night he has a nice little stream running out of his tent haha. The ice is about 3-4 feet deep. He gets the cots out and then wraps his fishing line around his finger so if a fish bites he doesn't miss it.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Nov 23, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I have a buddy that does this every year in January at the derby we go to. He Has a wall tent that doesn't have a floor. He just uses ice screws to anchor it down. Then he whips out the wood stove and lights a fire in it. His wall tent is super warm and by the end of the night he has a nice little stream running out of his tent haha. The ice is about 3-4 feet deep. He gets the cots out and then wraps his fishing line around his finger so if a fish bites he doesn't miss it.

Its always great to hear about people camping on the ice. Especially when the memories and stories come with it! 
The Polar Bird Team

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Nov 23, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Its always great to hear about people camping on the ice. Especially when the memories and stories come with it!

ditto.  what he said 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #119 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Tell ya what.

In northern WI I feel a lot more comfortable into the dark or overnight with an "insurance policy" in my pocket. Been eyeballed by wolves more than once.

Just sayin'...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.