Author Topic: ATV Battery Upgrade  (Read 4343 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
ATV Battery Upgrade
« on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:05 PM »
My ATV is 4 years old now and came with a fairly crappy pile for a battery. Looking to upgrade to a non-lead acid. What are you guys using for decent CCAs?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV Battery Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Check out Odyssey batteries.  Agm, whatever will fit yor machine. Have one in my track sled.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Another vote for Odyssey. I replaced my 3 YO Polaris POS with this - Odyssey PC925L  6.64Lx7.05Wx5.04H and added a battery tender, full time while parked.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2019, 08:48 AM »
take care,
Dave  :>)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Watchout for lithium and cold weather.  They don't generally mix.  The Odyssey is sealed - non-spillable.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2019, 11:44 AM »
So you got sick of yuasa’s lasting 14 months? I did that 4 times and just finally switched to Duracell agm. 2 year free replacement so it can’t be too bad

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:56 PM »
So you got sick of yuasa’s lasting 14 months? I did that 4 times and just finally switched to Duracell agm. 2 year free replacement so it can’t be too bad

My ATV has 525 miles on it and I thought I was lucky getting 300 on that battery. It's garbage. I got a 220CCA Duracell AGM as well. Batteries plus had BOPUS with 10% off.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Kinda wondering what some people are doing to or maybe not doing for their batteries.  2009 Yamaha 550, the first battery lasted 6 years and probably could have made 7.  It was a Yuasa YTX20, 310cca.  When stored it's constantly hooked up to a Noco float charger.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:45 PM »
My ATV has 525 miles on it and I thought I was lucky getting 300 on that battery. It's garbage. I got a 220CCA Duracell AGM as well. Batteries plus had BOPUS with 10% off.

Sounds like you’ve got the exact same thing I just got. Same 220 cca with the 10% off for right on $100 otd after core I’m guessing.

Be curious to see how they stand up side by side. Try to remember that a few years from now. Haha.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Kinda wondering what some people are doing to or maybe not doing for their batteries.
The AGM batteries are great. The biggest problem with them is recharging them. If the charging voltage is too high, over 14 to 14.5 volts, it will fry the battery. The battery should be charged at a rate of .75 to 2 amps on an auto shut off battery charger. If it's a 15 amp hr battery and is dead, it should be charged at 1.5 amps or less for 10 hrs. Put it on a 6 amp charger and it will charge it to fast and kill it.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Kinda wondering what some people are doing to or maybe not doing for their batteries.  2009 Yamaha 550, the first battery lasted 6 years and probably could have made 7.  It was a Yuasa YTX20, 310cca.  When stored it's constantly hooked up to a Noco float charger.

The battery is probably the cheapest one Polaris could find for the 570. It's not an AGM so there's maintenance for it. The way Polaris placed this thing in the machine makes it insanely difficult to do anything to is except charge/jump it. The biggest issues with it are that it's only 85CCA and in winter, when you start the ATV, the batter primes the efi, runs diagnostics and lights the dash before even turning the motor over. The OEM battery may be a good batter, but for this application, it sucks.

Offline WIcrappieguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:56 AM »
Duracell’s from batteries plus, 310cca and a 2yr warranty.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:21 AM »
The battery is probably the cheapest one Polaris could find for the 570. It's not an AGM so there's maintenance for it. The way Polaris placed this thing in the machine makes it insanely difficult to do anything to is except charge/jump it. The biggest issues with it are that it's only 85CCA and in winter, when you start the ATV, the batter primes the efi, runs diagnostics and lights the dash before even turning the motor over. The OEM battery may be a good batter, but for this application, it sucks.

Can't believe Polaris put that cheap POS battery in their machines.. Plus you have to have 3 hands to remove it.. I got so mad at Polaris for this I traded it for a Can am.. I'll never go back
Jig em up!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Can't believe Polaris put that cheap POS battery in their machines.. Plus you have to have 3 hands to remove it.. I got so mad at Polaris for this I traded it for a Can am.. I'll never go back
I just did the very same thing, traded a 2o14  sportsman  570 for a can am outlander 850.. picking it up today.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:02 PM »
I just did the very same thing, traded a 2o14  sportsman  570 for a can am outlander 850.. picking it up today.
Good luck with those CannedHams guys.   :o
Really? A PoPo 570 for an Outty 850 because of a bad battery?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Arctic Cat, Polaris and Canned Hams remind me of Ford Pintos and Chevy Vegas and K cars.  Junk. 

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:35 PM »
Arctic Cat, Polaris and Canned Hams remind me of Ford Pintos and Chevy Vegas and K cars.  Junk.

Just a curious question here.....Could you please provide the years/models of Arctic Cat, Polaris & Can Am you've owned & what problems you encountered with them that qualifies them as junk ?? Would be some good info for me & possibly others to know what to stay away from.....Thanks !!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Just a curious question here.....Could you please provide the years/models of Arctic Cat, Polaris & Can Am you've owned & what problems you encountered with them that qualifies them as junk ?? Would be some good info for me & possibly others to know what to stay away from.....Thanks !!
They are all good machines and they all have, or can have, problems.  Batteries seem to be one of the bigger issues.  Not really a big deal.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:09 PM »

Arctic Cat, had 2 Bearcats (2015) at work, both needed new starters fresh out of the box, both had to have the head unit(speedo unit) replaced after a month, neither would accurately record mileage or speed.  If that's quality new out of the box, I'd hate to see them after a couple years.  Friend has a 2017 Altera 700, electrical problems.  Polaris 570 2012 and up, from members of our local ATV club, mostly electrical problems in winter, refuse to start until place in a warm place,  2017 2 up, brand new, stator shot, had to wait several months for a back ordered stator, finally had to scavenge one from another model. 2015 Polaris 700,  engine quits when warm, not hot or overheating, electric gremlins. Earlier model 570's had to have the rad relocate done to keep from constantly overheating.   2016 Canam 650,  2 up at work.  Brand new, one had electronic transmission problems, took months to fix and promptly broke again.  Other one had engine oil leaks from hose under the right front foot rest area,  diagnosed as faulty oil pump seals, we let it leak, kept adding oil rather than loose it to the mechanics.   Polaris snowmobiles seem to be all right, but ATV's forget it.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:40 PM »
Good info.....Thanks for the reply !!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Not too sure about all that info from Fisherman 1 - Polaris did not produce a 2015 700 for one thing.  No information is given on the riders and what/how they use/maintain their machines.  The rad relocate came from guys riding in mud, plugging the radiators from proper cooling.
The 570s did go through some electrical issues, I believe those have been resolved.

From what I see ibeing used in extreme conditions, Honda seems to be the best overall for dependability.  Even then, there will be cases of issues, ust like any other machine.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:35 AM »
my Polaris OEM AGM batteries have lasted the longest over anything I have bought off the shelf to replace them. I get a good 5-6years out of them. Like I said in my previous post above, you cant charge an AGM battery like you would the others. Its the only downfall, but the AGM batteries are great. If you are not using your machine, make sure battery is getting taken care of correctly. I have never been left stranded or had cold start issues and still dont with my old and abused '04 500. Part of me wonders if the folks having starter issues are because of the bad batteries? A few years ago I needed to replace a battery that finally died in one of my quads, and every battery on the shelf tested bad right out of the box. I had to go to a few stores with my own tester to finally get a good one off the shelf.

I think all makes are models have come a long way in recent years and all are reliable. Its too bad focus is shifting to SxS and atvs are slowly dieing off. I happen to like Polaris just because of how the 4wd system works.  The 4wd actually spins all 4 wheels unlike the 3 wheel wonders the other brands have. No locker or extra levers and buttons to hold down, no slowing down to engage anything just flip the switch on the handlebar regardless of how fast you are going and your set. It also drives in 2wd until the rear tires slip so you don't have to fight locked front end when you don't need it.

Hondas are great quads don't get me wrong and they recently over the last few years have started to offer modern features all the other competitors have been offering for years. But on those older years Hondas the ground clearance was absolutely terrible and I never was impressed with the 4wd system (3wheel wonder). The Honda's even came with drum brakes but people would still buy them because of the wing on the tank.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:36 AM »
This is just my experience, others may vary.  I have a small fleet of ATV's around, the Polaris Sportsman 500 6X6 and a 500 4-wheeler go through batteries at least every couple of years, the Ranger 900 battery has not had to be replaced yet in 4 years (starts great, even in 0 F temps), am not impressed with the starting of the new Polaris 6X6 I bought this spring, will have to see how the battery holds up, the old 2006 Arctic Cat 500 4-wheeler has done well battery-wise (better than the Sportsman).   I put 3 starters in a 2010 Bearcat that I used to have, heard others with the same problem (it was not an isolated case), traded it off for a new 2015 Skid Doo WT Expedition 600 Etec, couldn't be happier, starts great with the original battery.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Not too sure about all that info from Fisherman 1 - Polaris did not produce a 2015 700 for one thing.  No information is given on the riders and what/how they use/maintain their machines.  The rad relocate came from guys riding in mud, plugging the radiators from proper cooling.
The 570s did go through some electrical issues, I believe those have been resolved.

From what I see ibeing used in extreme conditions, Honda seems to be the best overall for dependability.  Even then, there will be cases of issues, ust like any other machine.
Oops may have been a 570 he had.  These riders are definitely not a bunch of nimble nuts that drive and cruise for a bruising, most older guys and gals simply enjoying the trails.   As for the rad relocate thing,  it wasn't mud and crud all the time.  Maybe they should have been located higher up right from the start.  On a winter ride about 4 years ago,  we had 7-8 Poops, 1 Yama, 1 suzuki and 1 honda, only one of the Poops started and that with a car battery as a booster.   The others started right up and this was only -5F temps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.