The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Comfortable ice fishing chairs  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Bodie

• IceShanty Rookie
Comfortable ice fishing chairs
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:50 PM »
Evening Fellas,

Just curious what you fellas have ran across for comfortable ice fishing chairs. I've used the trusty old 5 gallon bucket for years, but unfortunately its starting to kill my back on long days. I've also tried various camping chairs, but those damn things are too low slung and a pain in the ass to get out of.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Comfortable ice fishing chairs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:54 PM »
harbor freight directors chair with table. get the 20% off coupon from their website.

add a hunting seat cushion and you are golden.

don't forget to add the rod holders to the arm rests lol!

watch where you put your fingers on these things while opening it, it will cut them off if your not careful.

http://www.harborfreight.com/foldable-aluminum-sports-chair-62314.html

http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom/2013/04/harbor_freight_aluminum_canvas.html

the 3 legged jobs are the pits!

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:57 PM »
I have also heard great things about the directors chairs.
Stay frosty.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Say whaaa?   

You mean there are comfortable chairs for ice fishing?

Best I've found is a folding boat seat, killer nice to lean back in. Ah.    :thumbsup:

Offline ftownfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Action Products Bird and Buck Sport Seat
http://assets.academy.com/mgen/06/10047306.jpg
Just bought 2. Haven't used them yet but can't wait

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:47 PM »
My son and I have tried the bucket, lawn chairs. Our favorite is foldable card table chairs. Good height, ours have a little cushioning, fold up and stow easily on the sled.

Offline wolf777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:20 PM »
I've sat on buckets, lawn chairs, crates with cushions.  I bought an eskimo ice fishing chair two years ago and have been comfortable ever since.  It's taller than other tripod type chairs that you buy for blinds.  It positions me perfectly to sit and jig over the hole.  Is it designed to take a nap in, No.  However, it's been perfect for me and hours in the icehouse don't bug me now.  I used to have to get up and stretch and walk every hour just so my back wouldn't kill me.  It's compact and fits well on the sled.  Probably not for everybody, but totally worth it for me.   

Offline Spear it

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I got a hunting blind chair. It is padded on the back and seat plus it swivels.  Made sitting a lot more comfortable when looking down a spear hole for hours.

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I agree with 3300 about the Harbor Freight director's chair.  I love mine.  My brother also has a director's chair from Sportsman's Warehouse that must be made of steel because it's much heavier.  If you don't mind the extra weight it works great on windy days.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:51 PM »
If you don't mind the extra weight it works great on windy days.

There's the trade-off.  There are darned comfortable seating options available but whatever increased back support they provide can be nullified by the back pain they create by weighing down your sled.  I'm still wrestling with mods to my flip-over shelter to find the balance between comfortable seating and easy pulling.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline 56Supercub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:51 PM »
The best chair I've found are those that have three legs and fold up just like other camp chairs. The seat is the right height and there is a straight back rest. So you sit up straight. The seat is triangle shaped so this puts your knees off to the side and you are more able to get them under you when you go to stand up. I add a thin cushion to add insulation and little more padding for comfort. You can find them at Cabelas, sometimes at Sportsmans, and other places online.  Easy google search three leg camp chair.

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Went to the harbor freight website to check out the directors chair. Made the mistake of going down the internet shopping rabbit hole and wound up buying a new welder. Good grief.

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Went to the harbor freight website to check out the directors chair. Made the mistake of going down the internet shopping rabbit hole and wound up buying a new welder. Good grief.

Hahaha!!! That's awesome!!!  ;D

Offline fish1138

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Ha. Made me chuckle as well. Now you can design and build your own ergonomic ice fishing chair. Look forward to seeing it on the market.

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:42 PM »

LOL

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Been using the director style for a few years. Built well, easy to get out of,  a small table and a rod holder on the side

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:49 PM »

Gees that's funny! But I've done the same. Nice to know I'm not alone in Doofus World.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.