The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: shelters  (Read 1785 times)

Offline knelson

• IceShanty Rookie
shelters
« on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:39 PM »
What is your favorite shelter? What are some of the best economical ones? What are the pros and cons of some of them?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: shelters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:44 PM »
I use a portable one-man flip with a thermal cap from Clam. It is large enough to hold my gear and power auger, and light enough to get in and out of the truck with ease. This season I picked up a Jason Mitchell 5000 Thermal which is super nice, and use it when I take some friends and their kids along.

Other than that, the Ice Armor suit I wear is generally warm enough, and I stay fairly mobile and move quite often, I hardly ever sit inside my flip for very long. The suit is like a shelter unto itself.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Wifes folly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:06 PM »
I use a 2-man Clam Voyager TXC.  It is self contained in it's own sled which can be hitched to a snowmobile or 4-wheeler, yet can also be pulled by hand if its not too far.  Advantages are roomy (27 sq. ft. fishable area), can stand up in it, thermal cap, swivel boat seats to sit on , it is well-made, and goes up and down quickly.  Disadvantage is it is more costly than other popular brands, and fairly heavy for a 2-man portable at 110 pounds.  I can load it alone by picking up the front end and then pushing on the back, but it fills a pickup bed or a suburban fairly well all by itself.

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I've gotten to use almost every kind of shelter except a hard side permi and will say each has its own pros and cons. I prefer a sled based clam style, I personally have a Dave genz fish trap 2 man, it's a little heavy but has tons of room inside stays warm and gets me out of the wind, carries all of my gear and fits in the back of my truck
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline transmontanus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:14 PM »
I have the Qwikfish 2.  It is simple to put up and has plenty of room for two people with their gear.  The bag it comes in has shoulder straps so you can carry it like a back pack.  It retains heat well.  I have had a pole snap when it has been below zero and the sides pop in when you get a good wind gust but all in all I like it.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I just wear arctic armour and fish out side
Don

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:38 PM »

9x7 hut I built
olefish

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:12 PM »

+1
A good suit is usually what you need. It fits for my prefered run 'n' gun style fishing.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline culinarypunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:45 PM »
I have a killzone 4 man. It's more like a two man and its good to block the wind.
The windows do not like cold weather! But its a good first hut for us.

Offline rorr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:04 PM »
I've got a Frabill 3 man and it works great. Windows aren't the greatest but no complaints.

Offline Phezhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:24 AM »
I got the Clam 4000T, easy for one guy to set it up, plenty of room.  I had read some complaints with the zippers breaking, but have had no problems with them.  I am more than happy with it, but I will say I don't have much too compare it to as it is my first shelter.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:32 AM »
I have a 6x6 hub & I like it.  Its lightweight, easy to put up & has plenty of room.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I fish out of a Eskimo Fatfish 767 and love it!  It can handle any Wy wind!  Well made and easy to use.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Regardless of the shelter that you may choose, plan to get some good screw in ice anchors.  I learned the hard way that you put out 1 anchor first to throw your tow ropes over.  I went on a wild chase for some of my gear on one of my ice sleds when a wind gust came up and got the sled moving across the lake. :o   The best that I have found is the Clam ice anchors.  If you have a cordless drill and a extra long 3/16 inch drill bit to predrill the hole for the anchor, it will make life a lot easier.  Then a 1/4 inch eyebolt that has been put in the vise and sprung sideways enough to let the ice anchor handle into the eye of the eyebolt.  Put the threaded portion of the eyebolt into your cordless drill and it will work well to turn the screw anchor into the predrilled hole.  The predrilled hole also helps keep the ice from cracking and spalling out when you screw the anchor in.  ;)     Happy trails !  ;D

Offline blue grouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:47 PM »
a buddy and I had been using a eskimo fatfish, but this year we bought a 4.5ft X 7ft wooden shipping container from a moving and storage company for 25 bucks.  We have been working on it night and finally used it for the first time this week.  It is great, has 4 holes and 2 windows, flexible rod holders, sliding bench seats on each end, and storage for rods and tip ups.  We are into it for like $100 dollars, using materials that we had laying around.  It does require a trailer that we already had.  It has been a project that has been fun to work on. We love it.  I will put pictures up once we get it painted.  We are going with brown paint and will have the Wyoming Cowboys logo in yellow painted on it.  if you can find a wooden shipping container I would recommend it. 

Blue Grouse

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:59 PM »
great idea !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:08 PM »

Yes a real true ICE FISHERMAN like myself only use my flip if its real cold and windy.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline ratfink1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep some, eat some, and let some go!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:16 AM »
nice hut ole I wish I had the time to make one like that

Offline jritten

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2014, 10:17 AM »
I also normally don't feel the need for a hut (in fact I've never owned one until this year), but the wife said 'it would be a good idea to have one' if I was going to take my 2 year old out.  I just got a Cabelas "Ice Team 2000TC'.  7.5 feet by 7.5 feet square pop up, and I can stand up in it (I'm 6'4").  I haven't had it on the ice yet, but it seems well built, and has an insulated top.  And, all the paperwork says it is made by clam.  They're on sale for just about $230 right now. Not a bad buy.  I've set it up in the back yard a few times.  Goes up and down really quick.  I'll let you know how it works on the ice after I get it out (probably next weekend).

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:25 PM »
I've been using an Eskimo fatfish for 3 years, and had no real problems with it.  When something did break, Eskimo has been wonderful with free replacement parts.  Strapped and pegged down correctly, it can withstand 50 mph winds.  My only problem has been if I am unhappy with my spot on the lake.  It is too tough to tear down and move around. 

So last week the little woman let me buy a Frabill Trekker for 2.  I've only used it twice, but once was high wind, and it much easier to set up. And I can tear down and move in about 5 minutes.   And being black, even in 20 degree weather with sun, I didn't need Mr. Buddy heater.  I am still keeping the fatfish for larger numbers of fishermen, but I'm currently hooked on the flip. 
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Most of the time I'm just in my blue clam ice suit however if it's windy out or really really cold and too hard to jig outside I'm in my clam bigfoot xl 2000 which is a pop-up style and goes up and down quickly just make sure you anchor it down correctly and it will withstand a lot

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.