Author Topic: Fishing Newfound?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing Newfound?
« on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:27 AM »
Hi Newfounders.  I was in the process of researching building a shanty when I found this site.
Love this site and icefishing.  I got a place on Newfound 1 1/2 ago and started icefishing last year for the first time.  My dad gave up ice fishing many yrs ago, but I bought some equipment and got him back out on the ice to teach my kids and I how to icefish .  We had a great time last year on Winnisquam and Newfound.  My 9 yr old son, who isn't the outdoor type, absolutely can't wait to hit the lake again to icefish.  I know where we mark fish in the summer while trolling, and I've seen from last year where most bobhouses get put up.  We'll probably be fishing Newfound exclusively this year.  We did OK last yr in 40-50' of water just in front of the Newfound river outlet(some lakers and bows, nothing over 21" though). 
I'd like to try some other spots.  I'll be putting out cusk lines this year(didn't last year) in front of our cottage, but I'd like to fish another part of the lake with the new iceshanty.  I know from summer trolling where we mark fish.(almost everywhere).  I know from last year many shantys line infront of westshore boat launch and other groups in Hebron Bay and off Wellington.  However, I'm thinking of fishing the channel between Pikes Point and Mayhew, south or north side of Pike Point, or the bay NorthEast of Wittimore Point in front of Newfound Inn.  I see quite a few brooks flow into the bay infront of Newfound Inn.  I personally would rather catch Bows over small Lakers(better tasting).  But, would also like that wall hangin Laker.(wouldn't we all)  Anyone have luck in the areas mentioned?  As far as shanty, I'm toying with designing a 8x12.  4' floor, with 2' seats over pontoons.  Pontoons so we can nap or sleep without ever worrying about sinking or pile in a bunch of beer drinker for card night.  Should also drag easily across the ice.  Can also use it in the Summer as a house boat (just kidding)  Good luck this year, and stay safe.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing Newfound?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:37 AM »
Be careful about building a shack that is too big.  It is very hard to move big shacks when they get frozen in!  The state record laker came off the east side of the island across from the state launch.  The bottom is sandy over there and is a good place to start for lakers.

For bows, I have a buddy that has his house in front of the Inn all winter.  Fish any incoming brooks with a sandy or rocky bottom and you should do fine!

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:18 AM »
Thank you DD.  I was wondering where that Monster was caught.  My dad use to icefish that area off the Island in the 60's and 70's, and my Neighbor and I always mark fish over there in the summer and have good luck catching laker, salmon, and bows over there.  I don't have a sled yet, so difficult to get to with my boy.  Again, thanks for that info.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2007, 04:10 PM »
Be careful fishing in that channel between Pike's and Mayhew.  It takes a long time for it to freeze and there is usually a pretty strong current there as well.  I usually fish right in the bay on the north side of the point and have pretty good luck in 40-60 FOW.  As far as bows tastin' better than lakers, try cutting out the bloodline on the skin side of the fillet on lakers.  That really seems to help.  I'll see you out there soon!  Shoot me a PM if you want!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:37 AM »
thank you for warning me about that area.  I was hoping to catch em in an ambush.  It would seem easy to catch all kinds of fish in that channel, but not at the expense of safety.  I'll definately send you a PM when ice is in.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:58 PM »
I learned about building too big of a shack the hard way, two days of my weekend and jettin my jeep stuck a couple of times in the waist deep slush in ellacoya

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:09 AM »
yah, I guess you all are right!  6x8? My cousin built his really heavy and kinda big.  You may have seen him out on Pine Point, Winnisquam off the park-n-ride.
He had the big green shack with the American Flag waving all Winter.  Sure was comfortable in the cold, and a God send the day I went with my Son.
I bought a portable 3000 series 4x6 just to keep my son out of the wind, but it wasn't long before he found his way into my cousins shanty for the rest of the day.  With that said, I wasn't around when my cousin had to take it off the ice.  I'm sure it wasn't fun.
The weekend after the Newfound derby we had that windy blizzard on Newfound and being the Rookie I am, I took my portable out on Bristol Bay.  I didn't anchor the corners down to anything, and soon found my self inside this thing jiggin sideways. 
I'd like to make myself something alittle more ridged and comfortable.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:50 PM »
I just built a 4x8 by 6ft tall and it sould work nicley with my small wood stove. But it does load on to the trail nice and easy and its not too heavy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.