Author Topic: Umbaggog  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
Umbaggog
« on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:37 PM »
who fishes umbaggog and with what results

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Umbaggog
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2007, 08:20 AM »
From what I understand.....umbagog is the new upcoming smallie fishery.  Emerson Outdoor Outfitters held a bass tounrey there a few weeks ago.  There are some 4+ pound smallies being consistantley caught up there.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007, 01:04 PM »
DD I hear it has some strange rules being a border lake. Maybe I should a licence in both states but that means registering the Quad too where does it all end!!!!! Art

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Last I herd ,  umbaggog was suspect to a pike intro. MDIFW.list of suspected pike introductions.  ???
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I fish umbagog all winter and the fishing is usually good.  Not much trout though.  Mostly Pickeral, Perch, and Bass.  You dont need a Maine license unless you fish the Maine side.  Acess is best at boat launch just east of Errol on route 26.  Usually there is a plowed road as there is a "round year" resident on an island. 

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2007, 03:54 PM »
umbagog is an up and coming smallmouth fishery. however, do not get carried away with the 4 pounders. the androscoggin river and the malgalloway river hold the bigger fish. it is an untapped resource. i just read an article on the place and in the 1870's the place was loaded with brook trout in the ten pound range. when they put in the errol dam it pushed backwater into that area creating lake umbagog. the men that were running the logs down the river were catching brook trout by the barrel full. there is one story when two guys speared 100 trout with the combined weight over 600 pounds. it sounds outragous but pickeral boy could give you the name of the book. the trout were so aboundant that you could almost cross the backs of the fish to get to the other side of the androscoggin during the spawn. the trout are long gone due to the infestation of pickeral and bass. i guess there a still a few caught, but they are few and far between. the book also reported two giant pike floating dead and then retreived by two men. chris roy found one in 1994 that weighed 26 pounds and the other was reported in 2003 that weighed 22 pounds. reports also show a few largies caught. there has been no reports of pike or largies being caught since. the book is all about how fishing started in nh and how grover cleveland and daniel webster enjoyed the outdoors. they talk about the first stocked ponds for bass and how it orginated. i will get  pickeral boy to give us the name. it would be an incrediable christmas gift. i was only able to browse through it, because he still has his nose in it. hurry up.
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:09 PM »
Last I herd ,  umbaggog was suspect to a pike intro. MDIFW.list of suspected pike introductions.  ???

The NHFish&Game website also lists pike in Umbagog.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:30 PM »
Jibbs ThanksI would like to know the name of that book sound like great reading Art

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007, 07:22 AM »
art, its an incrediable book. the way they introduce winni and the other big ponds in the state is cool. they talk about starting newfound, sunapee, the importance of wickwas and waukewan, rust pond and how it was the first smallmouth fishery. like i said in the earlier post.......i only browsed through, but did read the chapter on lake umbagog.......consider ing i grew up in that  neck of the woods. more later
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Jibbs   I want that book for Christmas   Art

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:36 AM »
Have we found out the name of it yet?

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:25 AM »
nope and i am suprised, because pickeral boy usually checks this site out every night. i will give him a call.

Offline pickeral boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:35 PM »
The books name is "The Bassing of New Hampshire"  by Jack Noon. He's from Sutton NH.
Halfway through book. Pretty interesting. I bought it at the Toadstool bookshop in Milford, NH. I think you can order it from MooseCountry.com, but not sure.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Thanks Man

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Just left Moose Country and the book is in the mail. Jack Noon also has a second book out  ART

Offline pickeral boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Yeah,  it sounds like a kids book.

Offline Bucktale

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2007, 12:18 PM »
Hey there Chiefbush..  I spend a lot of time from Errol to Wilsons Mills in the warm months paddling on the Rivers and enjoying the country up there....what a great place.  Did you ever ice fish on Sturtevant Pond, that looks like some nice bass water with all the rocks and natural structure it offers?  In your previous post did you mean they plow a road right up the river to the lake by the eagles nesting site?
My worst day fishing is better'n my bext day at work.

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Hi bucktale..  No, never fished sturdivant pond, not much of a bass fisherman, however would be willing to try it.  It is definitely some beautiful, unspoiled country up there.  The road I was talking about was on the boat launch.  Someone lives year round on the island about a mile from launch.  He plows a large road across the ice from the boat launch to his island.  Makes it nice to put a shanty on.  Do you make it up there in the winter?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.