Author Topic: Flasher  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Flags up

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher
« on: Sep 29, 2009, 02:28 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a flasher. Does anyone know if it's worth using one for jigging for lakers at winni? Or should I buy an under water camera. I hear that the camera can spook fish away instead of  helping me catch more fish. If  you recommend a flasher, what type and vice versa for the camera. Thanks for your help.

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
Re: Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2009, 02:46 PM »
by all means go with a flasher they will show your jig and how fish respond to it it will take a bit of practice but it really is easy.  cameras are a pain to set up and take way too long to wind up and move iff you want too just my 2 cents :tipup: :tipup:

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a flasher. Does anyone know if it's worth using one for jigging for lakers at winni? Or should I buy an under water camera. I hear that the camera can spook fish away instead of  helping me catch more fish. If  you recommend a flasher, what type and vice versa for the camera. Thanks for your help.
fishing on sebago for lakers with a friend with a camera, i didnt find it scaring the lakers, what i found was that i was getting 20 or so hits before actually feeling a hit. im getting a camera this year. ;D you can set up three holes and have three people fishing them and have them all on the screen and the extra jigging in the area draws more fish in imho. we were timing the hooksets instead of waiting to feel a bite. dont think it would work for suspended fish though, only the bottom huggers

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I think the camera is more fun. You can learn a lot by watching fish behavior.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Just remember that the flasher will show the whole water column, where as the camera will only show you a small segment. Also, I think camera's are nearly worthless below 50' of water. I only use mine down to 20'. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ken                                          

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Flagsup I have both I never leave home with out the flasher. I can't say the same for the camera but it is a lot of fun

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:39 PM »
The camera is a great tool for searching for structure, identifying fish, and don't get me wrong it is fun to watch but as stated earlier it only gives you a small picture of whats going on and it is a pain at times when you want to be mobile. When you put the transdeucer in your hole you know your depth, you see everything from the surface to the bottom, you see your bait, and you can tell if there are fish present before you even drop your jig. For me the camera is a search tool or something fun to play with when we're hanging around on the ice with the kids cooking out and such, when I want to fish the flasher is a must. If I forget the camera no big deal, if I forget the flasher I turn around and drive 50 miles to get it.

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2009, 01:04 PM »
get a VEXILAR!  ;)

Catch A Buzz

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Get a flasher first, and then if needed get a camera to go along with it

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2009, 03:07 PM »
get a VEXILAR!  ;)

Yep, need a vex!!!

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2009, 05:42 PM »
like bean says...they both have a use ..but they both have limitations too identification of species with a vex is not garanteed but will definatly help you catch more fish and eliminate wasted time fishing non productive waters ..the cam will help with fish identifacation and structure ..but with a little practice you'll also be able to identify bottom density with a vex i love my vex ..and every time somone comes over when i'm using it they are amazed at how well they work once they understand what they are seeing ..also if you go with a vex make sure you get the one that will show the whole water columb as mine loses contact with my jig about a foot from the bottom .and we all know that foot is the one you really need when targeting lakers !!!!!

Offline Flags up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Thanks for all your great advice. I have just purchased the aqua vu 4x4 7" camera. 

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for all your great advice. I have just purchased the aqua vu 4x4 7" camera. 
You bought a camera before a flasher? ???

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2009, 08:41 PM »
In my opinion, a flasher is essential if you want to do well on the ice. A camera is a fun toy that is a pain in the butt to lug around.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2009, 08:50 PM »
In my opinion, a flasher is essential if you want to do well on the ice. A camera is a fun toy that is a pain in the butt to lug around.
Yes, a flasher is essential. But I wouldn't call a camera a "toy". Its a great learning tool for learning unfamiliar waters and finding green weeds and such, but ya, a pain to lug around.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 01, 2009, 09:00 PM »
That's why we purchased a camera for my brother in law for his birthday.  We have two flashers, so he can use one and he can tote around his camera and "we" can use it. :)

Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.