Author Topic: deadsticking for bluegills  (Read 4051 times)

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
deadsticking for bluegills
« on: Dec 27, 2021, 03:43 PM »
Might try a dead stick or two.  whilst i’m jigging on my regular bluegill pole

any tips for:

1. dead stick bait or lure?
2 dead stick hook size?
3. bobber or not?
4. indicator or not ?

other tips.  thanks

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: deadsticking for bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2021, 04:11 PM »
I've not had success deadsticking bluegills.  Seems like they take a peck and it's just pure luck if they keep it long enough to set on them.  In my opinion, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.  If I was to try, I'd go with a tiny tungsten with a single spike.  Maybe it would be small enough for them to keep it in the mouth for a second or two.

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2021, 04:30 PM »
I would use a jig rod with a ul spring bobber small tungsten with mousies
FISH ON!🎣

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2021, 04:36 PM »
A tip down would be a better choice .. scaling down with a small hook and a wax worm or minnow ..or a a rod ..small jig head and small minnow on a tip down rod holder

I will be mounting this version on my bucket this season

https://htent.com/catalog/item.php

This one works in my flip over and I have used it on my bucket as well

https://www.amazon.com/Hawkeye-MF02-Portable-Multi-Flex-Holder/dp/B003WV3PGA/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B003WV3PGA&psc=1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2021, 06:06 PM »
I've not had success deadsticking bluegills.  Seems like they take a peck and it's just pure luck if they keep it long enough to set on them.  In my opinion, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.  If I was to try, I'd go with a tiny tungsten with a single spike.  Maybe it would be small enough for them to keep it in the mouth for a second or two.

Yes.     Perhaps the goal should be  is for them to swallow the bait. eg like 2 spikes on a 14 bare hook within a split shot 6” above.  ??

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2021, 06:29 PM »
Not sure why you're wanting to dead stick Bluegill but why not just drill 2 holes side by side. Jig out of one and put the other in a rod holder and let it sit?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2021, 12:23 AM »
i grew up deadsticking, it's not the most effective technique for bluegills, but it does work, and is a great way to increase your odds while you jig.

first off, rigging; i always use at least 2 hooks (where legal) to cover a bit more of the water column.
i seldom use bobbers on the rods i set further from me nowadays i'll set those in a jawjacker, but i'll also just use a rodholder that's larger than my holes, and tether the rod to it to prevent lost gear. a bobber stop helps me mark depth so i can reset or adjust my depth quick and easy.
i always set a dead rod in a hole next to the hole i'm jigging in, and that rod will always be rigged with a slip bobber. this lets me keep an eye for bites and gives me extra reaction time; a brightly colored bobber is a lot easier to keep an eye on than a rod tip, and the bobber lets me leave some slack in the line, so when it gets bit i have time to set my jigging rod down to reach over and grab the deadstick.

my go-to deadsticking lures are either small spoons like the lindy frostee spoon, or small teardrop jigs. i also like the football jigs from jammin jigs. weight doesn't matter a ton for me, i'm not gonna be moving this at all, and live minnows aren't legal in idaho, so i'm trying to make a small, low effort, high protein offering. a plain hook tipped with a piece of worm, some maggots, or a waxworm would all probably work as well, but i have more confidence in the jigs and spoons.

lastly; if you're on fish, but the deadsticks just aren't working, mess with the depth. i've found that if i'm getting a lot of fish that come up and peck at the lure but never commit, i can set the lures up higher above where the fish are coming through, and this seems to make them want to swim up and grab it before darting back down towards their comfort zone. conversely, if i'm noticing a lot of fish either looking at the deadstick lures from a distance, or swimming right on past, then dropping the lures almost to the bottom, and even sometimes resting on the bottom, i can get a few more bites.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.