Author Topic: Perching Video... Jumbo on the Jacker  (Read 609 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Perching Video... Jumbo on the Jacker
« on: Jan 15, 2024, 04:24 AM »
eature=shared

YELLOW PERCH are a favorite species to catch ICE FISHING in ALBERTA and this is how you can catch some using your Jaw Jacker or Jigging.

Seems like people are always after perch. Especially since they are one of the only fish you can actually regularly retain for dinner in Alberta.

Turns out they taste amazing, too. Such small morsels of tasty white, flaky, firm meat. It's hard to beat for freshwater eating in these parts.

They are a little tedious to fillet, but certainly worth the efforts.

Many lakes in Alberta hold perch. Some have populations of mostly small fish. Others have some larger fish. The trick is locating them and then catching them.

Their diet in the lakes seems to dictate their behavior and where they like to live.

Some perch feast on aquatic insects like shrimp, blood worms, and water boatmen. These perch swim slow and grow fast. Usually, they're pretty docile and hard to convince to bite. Since they're used to eating insects, they have lot's of time to examine their meal. To make sure it looks just right before they bite.

For these perch, you better be using 3 to 5 mm tungsten jigs or some other tiny presentation.

These fish tend to roam wherever the food is. Can be shallow feeding on scuds and bugs or down deep in the basin eating blood worms.

Then there are the perch that tackle larger, faster food items. These perch are chasing minnows, crayfish, and other larger insects like dragonfly nymphs. Since these food sources require a more aggressive approach for the perch to catch these fish respond well to larger flashy presentations. Spoons work excellent. These fish are often found around structure and act more like walleye.

You will find them around humps, drop offs, points, rocks. Even in very shallow where they use the ice and bottom to trap their prey.

Two styles of perch that inhabit lakes in Alberta. Figure out what you're dealing with, and it will help you choose the right presentation.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perching Video... Jumbo on the Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2024, 12:19 PM »
Fun watch! Thanks for sharing!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:01 AM »
Great video!  Learned a few things!

Love my Jawjackers!
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2024, 12:05 PM »
Thanks for watching guys, glad you found it interesting.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2024, 11:51 AM »
Nice video. Big perch on every bite.  :)
Master Laker taker.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:31 PM »
I have a few jaw jackets, but don’t use them a whole lot. Good action and some nice size. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.