The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Clutch question  (Read 985 times)

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster Clutch question
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Strikemaster Mag2000 auger with the Tecumseh TC300-31xx engine on it. The engine runs great, but it seems to take quite a bit of downward pressure to get the auger to cut well. I changed the blades out for new, same issue. I just had it into the local SM service Center to check the pitch and they said it was good. They indicated that it was likely an issue with my clutch.

I took the auger apart and got down to the clutch, but to be honest nothing looks to bad in there to me. I thought I would post a picture to see if anyone here can comment on whether it’s worn or not.  The drum is smooth and the springs are not broken.

I would consider just replacing it anyway, but the local shop wants $85 CAD for the clutch (plus taxes and a week of ship time) so I’d rather not spend the money if it won’t fix anything.

Appreciate any responses.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Re: Strikemaster Clutch question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:45 PM »
   Check for a bent flight where the bit hooks up. Clutch is ok I think. You shouldn't have to apply a lot of pressure if your bit is good.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:38 AM »
  The clutch locks in when the engine hits its high RPMs.  A slipping clutch usually means the engine isn't hitting the RPMs to lock in the clutch.   The most common solution is the carbs high speed mixture screw needs to be adjusted or a carb cleaning.  As you lean that mixture the RPMs increase. Go too far and the RPMs fall.  The sweet spot is coming from a rich mixture and the RPMs climb to peak as you lean it.  Now richen it back before the RPMs drop.  Leaning =clockwise. Richen= counter clockwise.   Its rare that an auger clutch need replacement.

If the clutch isn't slipping then that isn't the problem why your auger isn't cutting or poor drill rate.  Dull blades or the mount is bent.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Thanks guys. I didn’t figure it was the clutch but the SM service centre guy was pretty emphatic (without actually having the complete auger there). They told me that the pitch looked good, but it didn’t seem like they had a jig or anything to check it with.  Just eyeballed it.

I got a SM 40v Lithium and figure I will try the new flighting on the Mag 2000 engine. That should help narrow it down.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Dull edges on center tip blade ?
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.