Author Topic: Coleman Lantern Mantles!!!  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
Coleman Lantern Mantles!!!
« on: Nov 10, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Are there any way to make these suckers last? I go through two each fishing trip. I am just going to have to buy them in bulk at the beginning of the year. I love the heat and light they put out vs. battery-powered ones but I have constantly messing with the mantles. Is there such a thing as an unbreakable mantle? I did hear some talk about guys replacing the glass with wire mesh to at least stop that from breaking (happened to me last year). Is this something guys are fabricating or can you buy a wire mesh piece to fit the lantern?
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
Re: Coleman Lantern Mantles!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:12 PM »
i only replace mine 2 times a year. and i break them mostly  hen im hiking in to camp. all i can say is to just be gentle with them, dont move the lanteren in a swift motion.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Are you talking about the Mantel (the little thing that burns) or the globe (glass that goes around it)???

Ether way, buy a carrying case....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:17 PM »
the thing that burns i think.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Think mine are at least 4 yrs old, carry spares but rarely need to replace them and it's used 2,3,4+ times a week. Fragile, handle with care and treat with respect, they'll last

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Maybe you aren't tying them on properly?? A fat-fingered guy like me usually takes a solid 20mins to get them tight on the collar. But if you don't tie the on good they will fall right off.

MTA

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2011, 05:53 PM »
If you can get one of the older type ya might be a little better off, as mine have been working fine since '77

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2011, 05:58 PM »
If you can get one of the older type ya might be a little better off, as mine have been working fine since '77
Impossible!!!!!!!  That's older than dust ;)2 ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:19 PM »
everything old works great! to bad everything new isnt the same way. i love coleman laterens!!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:37 PM »
You're older than dust or dirt ;)2 ;D
I resemble that for sure.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I resemble that for sure.
Someone's been playin that twister game again thats been around for CENTURIES :woot: :nono: ;D

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:00 PM »
I think you've just got to be kinda gentle with 'em. I only break them if I throw the lantern in the pop-up and go bouncing down the road! I love the sound of my kerosene lantern. It's one of my favorite thing about them old things!

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Get on Ebay and find the old silk-lite mantels.  They will hold up much better and will be brighter than the newer mantels.  That presents the downside, the old silk-lites were coated with thorium (which is a slightly radioactive element).  They will hold up better and will burn brighter.  Just make sure you don't inhale the smoke from them when you first burn them (just like Bill Clinton....)
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:19 PM »
I don't know if you're a little confused or what, the mantle is the silk "pouch" that burns. If ya replace the glass "globe" with mesh, your mantles WILL be breaking from air movement through the screen. You need to be careful...mine are going on 3 years of constanrt use...Can't beat the old silk ones... I know we used to train and set geiger counters to them, as they'd peg one out pretty good, depending on your setting. Used to freak new people out when they saw they were radioactive!! :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Back in those olden days of the late fifties, we were told to burn 'em off outdoors and to stay up-wind.

I've never been the same since
 and I did not inhale.     :woot:

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Back in those olden days of the late fifties, we were told to burn 'em off outdoors and to stay up-wind.

I've never been the same since
 and I did not inhale.     :woot:
Sounds a lot like Bill Clinton

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2011, 11:00 PM »
I use the mantles that are held on with a spring and rarely break them, usually get a few years out of them before they break. I also have my laterns in cases, they kind of lock into the base which holds them pretty still

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2011, 02:55 AM »
You would probably generate so much heat from a metal-mesh mantel that it would shatter the glass, or blow up. 

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2011, 04:37 AM »
Go buy the coleman propane northstar. It has just one mantle. The mantle has wires so you just clip it on. Takes 5 seconds for a mantle swap, goes on perfect everytime. Its supposed to be colemans brightest lantern too. Puts off loads of heat and is super bright if need be. Just turn knob to ignite. No lighter or match needed. Has a igniter built into the knob. Dropped mine into the lake off the boat once and sank to be lost forever. Went and bought same one the next day.

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2011, 06:10 AM »
I seem to only use one set of mantles a year. The only time they really ever seem to break is when I dont have a spare set with me!
I tried one of the northstar lanterns, it was conveinient but When it developed a problem (making a high pitched whistling noise) there was no fixing it, it had to be scrapped.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:14 AM »
At one time there was a gut up in Oregon or Washington that had worked for Coleman and when the plant where he worked closed down, he bought their whole parts inventory, several years ago I bought 30 pairs of Gold Top mantels from him, look on the net and a person might get lucky and find him with some mantels left.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:16 AM »
I use the new wire clip mantles and only once have l broke them, Whacked the lamp with an overly aggressive hook set and down it came !!  :'(   Made a locking clip for the lantern hanger shortly after ! :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.