Author Topic: Ice Fishing = Know Nothing  (Read 1640 times)

Offline awags

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing = Know Nothing
« on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Greetings and Happy New Year!  I've had ice fishing on my bucket list for years and every year I ask for a trip as my holiday gift but I never get it...I did get some great socks however!  So I decided to take matters into my own hands.  With that said, does anyone know of a reasonable outfitter who could show a couple (late 40's) the ropes?  I saw a really cool Eskimo Fatfish insulated pop up and got all excited and then realized I have no idea what I would be doing and could spend thousands and either hate it or fall through the ice and die.  I would love to catch some Walleye, that would be an added bonus.  Thanks in advance even if you're just laughing at me.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishing = Know Nothing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I would love to catch some Walleye.....

That's all I started with^ lol...

Where are you located?

<°)))>{

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Might be nice if you put your location in your profile do we know where you are.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Sounds like ice fishing got a hold of you like the rest of us.  Guess where all your extra $$ will be going.lol :icefish:

Offline awags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:41 PM »
I'm so sorry!  I thought I was on the Utah specific thread.  I live in Salt Lake City, Ut.  Thanks for asking and helping me out.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:12 PM »
awags,
Welcome to the Ice Shanty site. First of all...you started with the right place. This site is full of really great folks willing to share experiences, knowledge, etc.

I'm sure many of of the Utah gang will chime in as well, but here's my 2cents:

1- Don't buy a pop up shelter.....yet. If you find this whole crazy ice-fishing thing is really up your alley, then you can look into a popup or other options later (preferably at the end of the season when everyone starts clearing out their stock at better prices). To be honest, I rarely use mine at all, but that's a personal preference as I really like being out in the open when I can.  If the weather is really bad (wind in particular), then a shelter is fantastic, but I think you should invest in other gear first.
2- Invest your first $$'s in good bibs/coat/boots/etc first. If you already have some, great.
3- All you really need to get started is a sled to carry gear, rods/reels, a hand-auger and a few other basics. Many of which you can get used on KSL.
4- Search through the many threads here on the IS website. I don't think there is a single question you could ask that someone else has already posed and had answered. Note, answers do vary due to the myriad of opinions, but you can glean a ton of great info just reading through previous threads.

All that said, you should really get out with someone that already has gear and is willing to take you out and show you the ropes. That way you can see just where you want to start with the equipment purchasing. I'm likely heading back up to Scofield either Friday or Saturday and you are more than welcome to come along.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 02:26 PM »
No need to pay guides just yet, there are a lot of folks on the site that would be glad to take you out and show you the sport, most of them know what they're doing pretty well too. Guides can fine tune things, but sounds like at this point just going out with a good crew might be the best fit for what you'd like... Clothes and warm boots are probably the number one gear need, plus a good rod and reel combo, but many of us would probably have a spare you could borrow to try it... I'm up in Cache Valley so I'm fishing points northward, but if you are interested I'd be glad to have you and your crew join me, if we can find some good conditions to fish... Reply and let me know when you want to try it... Later J

Offline awags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Wow!  Thanks so much for the advice and invites folks.  I think you are right that we probably need to check it out first before deciding if this is the winter sport for us.  I really had no idea there was such a large crowd in UT and only stumbled upon this forum, so glad I did.  I'll send a private note to the nice folks who opened invites. 

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Awags, hardH20fishin invite would be perfect for you, Scofield  would have been where i would suggest cutting my ice fishing teeth at. We fished scofield last weekend and the fishing was fabulous. Fish were aggressive and very fun to catch. Me and my family had multiple double, triple and even all four of us had a quadruple fish hook up at the same time. If you want more specific questions answered send me a PM, and will gladly answer any questions i can.

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Welcome Awags the crew on here are some good eggs. A little cracked lol but some good eggs. As we start to get better ice conditions there will be more and more opportunities. But to ask to catch Walleye is a tall order. Im not saying it cant be done. You're just going to have to put in your time ( Lots of time ) to catch Walleye. Me I concentrate on catching perch. They eat just like Walleye. They are usually pretty plentiful. And when I do get on them. Im pretty generous with my invitation. All you gotta do is show up. Look for the big guy. Im going scouting talk at ya later. Glen Tight Lines

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Awags, just responded to your PM.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Welcome to the shanty awags, I totally agree with whats been said here. Get your feet a little wet (or cold) before jumping on the big ticket items. Good clothing can make all the difference when its not sun shiny blue sky. Grab a rod/reel combo string it up with some 6lb line and maybe start with a handfull of jigs in white, green and pink. Lots of gear can be had off of ksl for cheap or facebook yardsale page. Dont be afraid to ask people on the ice questions, you will usually know withtin a couple mins if they are nice or not wanting to be bothered. I personally dont have a problem with people coming up and talking. You can punch open not to old holes with a crow bar, hammer or axe. No auger needed YET! Then if its something your liking look into getting geared up. Keep in touch here and let us know how its going
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Awags we are going out again Friday at Echo Reservoir. We park across the street from the storage units on the east side. We walk down the road and come in through the entrance and take a left to the side of the boat ramp. We will be out by the bouy. We are catching small Perch and trout. If you and your partner would like to join us. I have extra poles and I have an ice auger. All you have to bring is something to sit on. The ice is 4-5 inches with no snow on top so it is a little slick. It's good and safe. My name is Glen. You're welcome to join us. We go early...crack of dawn. Fish till noon or so. Be happy to show you the ropes.

Offline Ghansen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:59 PM »
Keep it simple. Whites seem to be my favorite. One thing I love about ice fishing is it can be as expensive OR as inexpensive as you want to make it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.