The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Rockwood conditions  (Read 950 times)

Offline 8orach

• IceShanty Rookie
Rockwood conditions
« on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Hopefully looking to plan a trip to Moosehead with a buddy during our Spring break for two days, (15th and 16th). Never had the chance to fish the big lake before but would plan to go off Rockwood for togue, cusk and possibly salmon. How are the ice conditions and will it be solid in a week? Is there any pressure ridges, open holes, etc to be aware of? Wheeler or snowmobile? Looks like a storms suppose to come in Thursday this week also.

Offline Izzi11

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rockwood conditions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:25 PM »
We just got back fom Rockwood last night, here is my report for ya:

Plenty of ice, most around about 30", once we couldn't punch through by the moody islands there was to much ice but moved out a couple feet from shore and we were fine.

Pretty much glare ice but after this weeks storm should be all snow.

No pressure ridges I could see but a few open spots in the normal spots around basically the buoys and some rocks.

Fishing was a bit slow but still managed some nice fish.

Good luck!
IzzI

Offline 8orach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:42 PM »
That's great news to hear! I'm use to togue fishing on Sebago right in my backyard and have had most of my success in deep water (100+ feet) as most do nowadays. I know that's not typical lake trout depth ranges for Northern Lakes, should we be focusing in and around the 40-60' range?

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2018, 03:46 AM »
Same report here, we were in rockwood fishing Moosehead from last Wend to Sunday by Tomhegan and plenty of ice and conditions were perfect.
Caught a lot of salmon and brook trout with a few lake trout as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.