New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Leprechaun  (Read 784 times)

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Leprechaun
« on: Mar 17, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Found a new use for one of my homemade auto fishermen. I've been designing and building Leprechaun traps with my girls for the past 7 years and this is what we came up with this year (it was the 10 year old's idea). We set the hooksetter up over the edge of our upstairs loft. Then we tied a gold bell to the line and laid it in the middle of a mesh net that had a second piece of mono woven around the edges so it would cinch up like a bag when lifted. Tied the other end of that mono directly to the rod tip and used the gold bell as the trigger line for the trap. Looks like we caught the little bugger but he cut the net and made off with the gold. He always manages to turn the toilets and sinks green, open all my kitchen cabinets, write notes in green dry erase marker on the bathroom mirrors, and leave bowls of Lucky Charms out for the kids that magically turn the milk green when it's added to the bowl. He's a pesky little thing but the kids always get real excited when he comes. I just hate the green and gold glitter he leaves all over the floors! One of these years we're going to catch him! Happy St. Patty's Day!

The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Leprechaun
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Is he related to the Bad Elf that comes around at Christmas time? Don't have any younguns myself but a coworker used to tell me of the bad elf's capers. He would make a mess all over the house.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Maybe. The Elf on the Shelf hasn't ventured to my house yet. If he ever does I'll just put out a rat trap for him! He causes mischief every day for 25 days before Christmas. At least the leprechaun only comes once each year. Plus, if you catch the leprechaun he has to take you to his pot of gold, so we take care to try catching him without hurting him. No good comes from the elf that I know of!  ;D

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Ahhh  now I remember how it goes. I heard tell of him smearing tooth paste all over the bathroom, swinging from the ceiling fan until the blade broke off, and all sorts of other mischief. Hope he stays away and you find that golden booty.       Funny the things we discuss when there is no ice left.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2018, 08:39 AM »
That's for sure! The good news is that the hooksetter functioned as intended! Worked good for walleye this year also!  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.