The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Green River reservoir ice  (Read 2293 times)

Offline zmaxfield

• IceShanty Rookie
Green River reservoir ice
« on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Anyone know ice conditions on green river?

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
Re: Green River reservoir ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2018, 06:18 AM »
Dont hear too much about that body of water on here. I have never ice fished it, but do have it on my list of places to try. Would like to hear from those that fish it as to how it is in winter.

If it is still safe I could meet someone to fish next week?

Thanks......wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Be carefull they do draw from it in the winter
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2018, 08:57 AM »
You occasionally see a post on here from someone that has gotten some decent perch out of there, and once in a great while they'll get a northern from Green reservoir. I'm not sure what else is in there.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Fished it once in a canoe and only caught dink perch.

Just looks like a good place to ice fish.....thanks gor the info.....especially on the water draw!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2018, 09:25 AM »
I had a really fun canoe fishing trip there maybe 8 years ago. Got nice smallies with dropshot rigs along the western shore of the main lake and caught a bunch of pike around the small islands at the northern end right before it narrows up to the old channel. The pike were all long and skinny but fought hard. One of the few places I've actually had good luck with frog poppers.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2018, 09:43 AM »
I fished it years ago out of a canoe too. I remember getting some nice bass. I used to like to fish the brook that runs out of it into the Lamoille in the late spring. Did well on trout. I remember the water was real cold. ;D
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline septageguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Be careful! I know a guy that drilled through solid ice on Marshfield and the water was several feet below the ice......

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Be careful! I know a guy that drilled through solid ice on Marshfield and the water was several feet below the ice......

No, thats impossible.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2018, 10:44 AM »
No, thats impossible.
Happened to me on Waterbury Reservoir. Went out from blush hill and headed towards the bedrock cliff to the left, drilled a hole maybe 10' from the cliff and there was at least a foot of air to the water. We could see that there was a slight dip in the ice out towards the center, where the ice had settled down to the water level.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Makes sense to me although it is something I haven't seen. I seldom fish small ponds though where that condition could develop.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:01 AM »
ive heard the same about green river one reason why I won’t set foot on it in the winter
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline septageguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Probably the same situation as Light Liner said, one foot or ten, scared the heck out of my friend.

Offline septageguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Sorry, meant shivering joe.....

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Happened to me on Waterbury Reservoir. Went out from blush hill and headed towards the bedrock cliff to the left, drilled a hole maybe 10' from the cliff and there was at least a foot of air to the water. We could see that there was a slight dip in the ice out towards the center, where the ice had settled down to the water level.

Happened at Waterbury Blush Hill to me too.
Also happened to me at Arrowhead Lake.
Scary, not something I want to do again...never know how good ice is without the buoyancy of the water holding it on the underside.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2018, 12:06 PM »
I know I have seen the ice sag but it was late season on a very warm day. Had a large load of flat fish sitting in buckets on my sled and went to get it at the end of the day and it was sitting in a sag about 6" down. All the weight must have worked on that bad ice causing it to bend. I hated to even walk up to it. I was off the ice for the season after that.

Offline megaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2018, 02:01 PM »
happens on moore reservoir  all the time you will be looking down at the hole your drilling and when you break threw a gush of air and ice crystal hits you in the face and then the water come gushing up out of the hole sometimes 3ft above the ice
can keep gushing for up to 5 minutes before you can fish the hole happened to me once on marshfield dam but was frequent
on moore reservoir have not fished there since i found women of child bearing age were not supposed to eat any fish out of it

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Huh, i was wrong.
Grew up fishing the waterbury reservoir never seen it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2018, 02:51 PM »
No, thats impossible.

No it's not impossible it happened to me and my father couple years ago on Marshfield res, we drilled a hole and the water was literally 3-4' beneath the ice. Didn't take us long to get off the ice lol.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I have never heard about that happening before today and I have been around awhile. That would be very dangerous and an ice collapse would probably be really bad. Nothing left to pull yourself out on. I'll take this occasion to urge all you north country ice anglers to think about getting a flotation ice suit for next year if you don't already have one. The ones now on the market are full of pockets, cut the wind and are warm. Trust me it is money well spent. 

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2018, 06:59 PM »
A flotation suit was my xmas present to myself this year. Money well spent.

Offline zmaxfield

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2018, 06:10 AM »
I fished it earlier this year. I drill a hole to check the water level a few times on the way out . Its nice because you can sometimes have the lake to your self that could be a bad thing this time of year. There are perch and chain pickerel. I heard there are pike there but cant confirm. I fish it for bass alot in the summer.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2018, 08:42 AM »
There are some huge pike in there

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Fished Waterbury 2 times, 1st time was about 30 inches of slush, was surprised when the auger just ripped thru and never hit a layer of hard ice. Outside temp was around 0. Looked on the side of the cliffs and could see where the ice used to be. Appeared to be 10ft lower. Quickly walked off the hardened slush. 2Nd time I was fishing for smelt, drilled thru 6 inches of ice and broke thru, no water came up, looked down the hole and saw water a foot below..... Scary.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.