Author Topic: Using a Garmin Fish finder through the ice?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Skookum1

• IceShanty Rookie
Using a Garmin Fish finder through the ice?
« on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:38 PM »
I am pretty new the ice fishing game, having only one winter under my belt and I recently discovered the vexilar units and have read in to them some. I realized my Garmin Fish finder on my boat has a similar feature on it. Has anyone used this? I feel like it could be advantageous being able to flip back and forth to a normal screen as well as marking GPS locations.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Using a Garmin Fish finder through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:09 PM »
I use my Garmin all the time on the ice and I don't use it in "ice fishing mode", the graf screen gives you everything that a Flasher shows but gives you a history of what did happen... It shows it just as fast also... You can get an "ice" transducer or work out a rig to use your "skimmer" transducer. Both will work, but it is easier too with the "ice" transducer to keep it level. Let me know if you need more help using your Garmin, it will do a great job for you!

Offline Skookum1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:34 PM »
I never even thought about it having to be level, although it did come with a bracket and zip ties to mount to a pole of some kind if I remember correctly, I think I might be in business with a short piece of pipe. Thanks for the input!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Not to rehash what is common knowledge but after 10+ years I just love my Garmin 400C graph. Has flasher mode but I never need it. Load battery and screen and transducer all in a Stanley tool box and it travels and sets up great. After ten years I just went out and bought a new battery to replace the original two batteries.  Got a monster of 12V 18ah for $46.
Thread killer

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:03 PM »
I never even thought about it having to be level, although it did come with a bracket and zip ties to mount to a pole of some kind if I remember correctly, I think I might be in business with a short piece of pipe. Thanks for the input!

If it's a newer model the Garmin skimmer is super easy to hang level.  Just clip on the transom mount and rotate it up until rides against the cable just right.  Get a 99 cent piece of pipe insulation and a couple zip ties and make a float. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Judge for yourself which view is more revealing! These screenshots taken within a minute of each other on my Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 53dv with GT8HW-IF ice transducer.

SPLIT ZOOM mode (bottom 5 ft zoom on left, full water column on right):

... and FLASHER mode:

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:40 PM »
If it's a newer model the Garmin skimmer is super easy to hang level.  Just clip on the transom mount and rotate it up until rides against the cable just right.  Get a 99 cent piece of pipe insulation and a couple zip ties and make a float.
I made a nice little frame out of 3/4 pvc pipe that holds the transducer exactly where I line it up on the jig centered for most reception. I never had any luck stabelizing the float thing much at all.
Thread killer

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:00 AM »
This summer I got a new unit for my boat and and I figured what the heck, why not use it on the ice too.  Yesterday was the maiden voyage and it worked great!  I also used the split zoom.  Happy I decided to do this.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:02 AM »
I made a nice little frame out of 3/4 pvc pipe that holds the transducer exactly where I line it up on the jig centered for most reception. I never had any luck stabelizing the float thing much at all.

Think you could send me a photo of this WYIfish? Thinking about doing something along these lines for my Striker4
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:46 AM »
I got a Garmin Striker 4dv last season.  Set up in a Colman 6 pack cooler.  Keeps it safe in the sled.  Clip the display into the mount on top and plug in the battery and transducer ready to use.  Made the mount for the skimmer transducer out of 3/4 PVC the tube keeps the TD level.  Throw a couple hand warmers in the cooler and drop the battery for the ION auger in after the holes are drilled.  Both batteries stay warm and charged longer.  Pictures in the wrong order but get the intent.

Offline Danger16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Very cool! I got my dad the Striker 4 travel pack for Christmas (hopefully he doesn't read this before opening).  I kept going back and forth in spending the extra money but thought it would just be easier for him to have it all in one.  I'm thinking about getting one for myself though and would take your lead and get the unit and DIY the case.  Great idea with the cooler- looks like it'll work perfectly!
Live long and prosper (on ice)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Here is the root I went;

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Brilliant minds think alike! I have a " flat T" on the top of my transducer pipe and a black plastic toolbox for the batteries and screen and extra cables.  I are not so alone after all!
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:31 PM »
This summer I got a new unit for my boat and and I figured what the heck, why not use it on the ice too.  Yesterday was the maiden voyage and it worked great!  I also used the split zoom.  Happy I decided to do this.

I am jealous, my transducer has been on dry land since Feb. 20th.

Thread killer

Offline Skookum1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:00 PM »
I was kinda thinking something towards the  PVC "T" idea. I also like the fact that I don't have to remove the bracket from my boat either.  Once I get it going I'll share. What's everyone use for batteries? I feel like my marine battery is slightly large for this application.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Here is what I made for my striker 4

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Here is what I made for my striker 4

Nice, looks pretty functional.
Thread killer

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Should get the job done

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.