The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Champlain Valley Ice?  (Read 4946 times)

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Champlain Valley Ice?
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:56 PM »
The ice season is finally upon us it seems. Anyone been on ice in the Champlain Valley? Just checked the Carmi webcam and that is a no go for sure with lots of open water. Anyone been by Monkton Pond or Lake Iroquois yet? Hopefully this cold snap firms everything up nicely. Any information is welcomed. Thanks and be safe! PB
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Champlain Valley Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Monkton was frozen over when I drove past Sunday afternoon. Not sure how much snow they got yesterday, but the temps are right for making some good ice. Was hoping to check it out this Sunday or Monday.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2017, 03:19 PM »
A buddy and I are taking the safety gear out and testing some ice in the area on Saturday morning. Will let you know how it goes.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Thanks guys! Just make sure you take extra precautions before heading out! First ice is always unpredictable. Good luck. 
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:55 PM »
 ;D :tipup:  perchbait,  Good to hear from your.  Looking to see some fish pictures during your
Holiday break!
Dick

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:31 PM »
;D :tipup:  perchbait,  Good to hear from your.  Looking to see some fish pictures during your
Holiday break!
Dick
You betcha Dick! So long as there aren't any drastic changes in the future forecast, then Crayfish2 and I should be on ice before we know it, hopefully with some success. Keep your eyes open for a report in the coming weeks.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I heard Fern Lake skimmed over.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:50 PM »
The ice season is finally upon us it seems. Anyone been on ice in the Champlain Valley? Just checked the Carmi webcam and that is a no go for sure with lots of open water. Anyone been by Monkton Pond or Lake Iroquois yet? Hopefully this cold snap firms everything up nicely. Any information is welcomed. Thanks and be safe! PB

Jacob Arrowhead just locked up last night all the way to the rapids just above the highbridge, only 1-1/2" thick but building.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2017, 04:19 PM »
That's good to hear! I don't seem to catch many fish through the ice there, but some of the perch are monsters. Wormy, but BIG!

Offline Rockin_n_Vermont

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Hoping to hit up Monkton this Sunday as well, if conditions stay cold.

Offline Rockin_n_Vermont

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Just got off the phone with Big River bait and tackle. He got word there's 3"-5" of ice on Monkton. Fish on!

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:01 PM »
South of the Champlain Bridge was locked up yesterday as was Dead Creek when we drove over it in Panton. The lake is still open at Converse/Basin Harbor/Arnold Bay if anyone want's to troll for salmon.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Colchester only had 2-3 today once you get more than 20 feet from shore.  I think I'll wait till next week. 

Offline Honest_John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:43 PM »
I walked out on Monkton this afternoon. There were holes drilled and they were fresh. I found about 4" of good lookin ice in all of them.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Thanks for the updates guys! Sounds like we are getting close to having fishable ice on most of the inland ponds. Hopefully the rain in the forecast doesn't change that!   :(    Tight lines.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:39 AM »
Checked northern islands yesterday......cary bay 1.5"-2" dillenbeck 2.5"-3" guys out on missisquoi by church rd and by isle lamotte bridge area. Hope it helps....be safe!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline carmi-icefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Carmi had 3 guys fishing off state park boat launch and couple guys off dewing shore yesterday afternoon. They all were aways out there.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Shelburne Bay has ice near the South end but it doesn't go very far out and isn't solid yet.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Kelly bay had a group of guys on it. End of maquam had people on it in the shallow end. Lake is trying to freeze near popasquatch today, not sure how it will hold but it skimmed over last night.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I have a duck blind on Shelburne Bay and hunted it the last two days. The ice on shore is over 9" thick, but its also a foot of water. I think with the wind and incoming rain, that bay will be open water for a while.

I fished dillionback for a few hours today. Had 5" in 6 feet of water, and there was guys all the way out in 20 feet of water. Very slow bite.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:28 PM »
I heard someone lost an auger through the ice at Colchester Pond.  Glad they are ok.  Careful out there everyone.  The ice may be thick enough under you, but you never know where there is a bubble that didn't freeze or a spring that is keeping the ice thin in one spot.

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I heard someone lost an auger through the ice at Colchester Pond.  Glad they are ok.  Careful out there everyone.  The ice may be thick enough under you, but you never know where there is a bubble that didn't freeze or a spring that is keeping the ice thin in one spot.

Thats crazy! I was thinking about heading out there tomorrow morning. Thought there would be at least 4" by now :/  Any idea where this happened??  Thanks for the heads up!

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:24 PM »
How is the ice on Colchester?
Fish on

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:07 PM »
There's ice near the Mallets Bay access, but it does not go out very far.

Randy

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Thats crazy! I was thinking about heading out there tomorrow morning. Thought there would be at least 4" by now :/  Any idea where this happened??  Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know much more. I heard this second hand. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Might be out in the boat on Champlain next week, as long as the shore ice isn't too heavy. I don't trust any of the ice I've seen just yet.

Randy

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2017, 12:14 PM »
We are locked up here on Northern Champlain, but not enough to give me warm fuzzies about. Theres been a few brave souls out there but not this guy, especially after the rain and wind we got yesterday. Cold weather from here on out should help as along as we dont get alot of snow to insulate the ice, should be good by the weekend. I'll take a drive around tomorrow and do some measurments.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:16 PM »
There was a guy on one of the Facebook forums fishing on 5-6" of black ice today, on St. Albans Bay.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:01 AM »
There was a guy on one of the Facebook forums fishing on 5-6" of black ice today, on St. Albans Bay.

5-6 in facebook inches is like 2-3 in regular inches.  ;)

Randy

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:40 PM »
fished mccuens/10 acres area a couple times with very little to show for it. 4-5 inches good ice. should have gone farther south.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.