The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Any ice....  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Any ice....
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:23 AM »
...in Barry/Allegan county? I may try and do a little scouting Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Gotta be some somewhere.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Wollypog

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Any ice....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Hi Everyone
we've got a lot of snow in Allegan but coming home this morning my car temp read minus two actual on 222. About three days ago I heard someone got on a channel on some lake in Orangeville, I've seen a few small lakes that were covered but not sure about the ice. Wish we hadn't gotten all this snow before the cold temps, good fishing everyone let us know if you find ice, I might look around this weekend Did Kalamazoo and further south get as much snow as we did?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:39 AM »
I'm not even spudding this weekend.too much snow on thin ice ,like every year.dont get me wromg I want to go but I'm getting older and wiser every season and those fish cant go anywhere...well I guess they can go home in another guys bucket but idc..my pond has been locked up for 9 days.first 3 days it started making nice clear ice then its snowed a bit and the ice is weak.good luck and be safe in out there.bring the spud!!!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2017, 08:43 AM »
i see ice and no snow. i don't recommend scouting either. if you do, please use safety gear and a buddy system.
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

a post of a dog that didn't make it off the ice.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349869.msg3729169#msg3729169

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:15 PM »

I got my life jacket and queen size air mattress ready to go for Saturday night .

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I walked on water an hour ago and in two days ill definitely be fishing ;D

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:28 PM »
I will be ice fishing this weekend.... ;D

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:33 PM »
  I got my life jacket and queen size air mattress ready to go for Saturday night .
what.... you dont have a striker suit >:(

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:38 PM »
I will be ice fishing this weekend.... ;D
this snow might allow us to keep the little ice we have locked up after the RAIN in the forecast for Sunday, as well as next week 1 day ::)

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 12:53 AM »

No I don't have a striker suit but I have some whiskey and determination .  if the ice breaks below me then it just means I wont have to use my auger . 

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:06 AM »
No I don't have a striker suit but I have some whiskey and determination .  if the ice breaks below me then it just means I wont have to use my auger .
15 bottles of whiskey and you have a striker suit. And thats if you buy the small bottle ;D. Whiskey or determination neither will keep you topside.

Offline edwards8300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:21 AM »
I checked fine lake yesterday after work. There was three or four inches at the launch, somebody had drilled a couple holes. I didn't have A spud so I didn't walk to far out, maybe 50 yards or so.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Got on a pond today with about 3"...nuttin' but a bunch of  littles and a 12" bass. But ...my ice fishing season is officially open. :thumbsup:

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:29 AM »
I'm going to check  today
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline edwards8300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Anybody out in Barry county? Most lakes I have checked are still locked up, just wondering if anybody is getting out? Two long weekends off of work coming up, would like to get out somewhere.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Anybody out in Barry county? Most lakes I have checked are still locked up, just wondering if anybody is getting out? Two long weekends off of work coming up, would like to get out somewhere.

There will be a couple fishables this weekend but erring on the side of caution is a must, BUT, with the cold temps coming in the next week and little snow, it could be a very Happy New Year!

Offline edwards8300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2017, 05:36 AM »
I moved to Delton two years ago. I have no experience ice fishing any of these local lakes, last winter sucked. I'm still trying to figure out which ones freeze up fisrt.  I did get out a couple times last year, but for the most part I have not fished any lakes around here. I'm dying for ice.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:51 PM »
I checked 3 lakes today..2 were not ready yet but close, one will be ready soon after the cold weather comes.close enough for me to run and get some bait  tho.lol

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Ok...time for a report. Got out this morning and this is what I found:

Selkirk Lake...3" of good ice...marked a few fish but not a bite.
Lake 16...little bit of shore ice but open water rest of the way.
Baker Lake...2" of good ice. 2 guys fishing but not doing much so I didn't stay.
Duncan Lake...3" of good ice in the bay. Stayed about an hour:marked a few but again, nothing to bring home. 2 other guys with same results.
"Unnamed" Lake (the one I really wanted to get at) 1" at best...turned around and went home.

That's it...if you go out,be safe. Next weekend we should be getting on just about everywhere. Merry Christmas everyone! :thumbsup:

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:40 PM »
I stopped by L:ake Missaukee this afternoon and they were fishing by the town pump and here are several perm shanties out on the north end. I did not walk out there as I did not have the spud but I heard Fri of someone catchiong a very large pike on a tipup. I did not go around to Green Road. Be Safe

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Ok...time for a report. Got out this morning and this is what I found:

Selkirk Lake...3" of good ice...marked a few fish but not a bite.
Lake 16...little bit of shore ice but open water rest of the way.
Baker Lake...2" of good ice. 2 guys fishing but not doing much so I didn't stay.
Duncan Lake...3" of good ice in the bay. Stayed about an hour:marked a few but again, nothing to bring home. 2 other guys with same results.
"Unnamed" Lake (the one I really wanted to get at) 1" at best...turned around and went home.

That's it...if you go out,be safe. Next weekend we should be getting on just about everywhere. Merry Christmas everyone! :thumbsup:
I was at Selkirk yesterday morning and almost went swimming in 15 ft of water..its not all 3".lol.water was coming up thru my holes.i weigh 285 tho.lol.be very careful..it must of made a half inch to 3/4 over night.i caught 1 dink gill.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2017, 08:56 PM »
I was at Selkirk yesterday morning and almost went swimming in 15 ft of water..its not all 3".lol.water was coming up thru my holes.i weigh 285 tho.lol.be very careful..it must of made a half inch to 3/4 over night.i caught 1 dink gill.

That'd be about right Doc ...tried to kick open a couple of holes from day before and couldn't bust 'em (couple must have been yours). Somebody was there earlier than I was this morning. BTW... I come in at about 165# so I can risk a little more  ;) LOL.   

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:06 PM »
That'd be about right Doc ...tried to kick open a couple of holes from day before and couldn't bust 'em (couple must have been yours). Somebody was there earlier than I was this morning. BTW... I come in at about 165# so I can risk a little more  ;) LOL.   
yeah It must of made ice for sure then. I haven't seen a soul out there yet I was 1st to drill a hole in the lake.i did talk to a few guys at the launch  Friday but didn't fish it till Saturday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.