Author Topic: my lil' scoutin' trip.  (Read 2811 times)

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
my lil' scoutin' trip.
« on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:11 AM »
social media is abuzz right now about some permsicous women that live around the south park area.   every dude in Colorado with a stiff rod is all up in arms  about it.   me?  i got better things to do than hang out with hoodrats from hartsel that everybody was taking their turn on, so I drove west to see what other lakes looked like.     

2 well known lake trout lakes 80 miles west of denver will be ready for ice fishing probably in about a few days... the single digit temps over the last few days have done its work and capped one about halfway from the inlet all the way to black creek... it sketched me out so i didn't try to chance it.   i was gonna drive up to the bad eyesight lake but the road was a bit dicey... i imagine it was plenty safe though.   

a lake named after a rabid wild canine that drives an american branded vehicle had skim ice all over the west end...

and billy's eating utensil was 80% open with its finger bays all capped out.    i fished billy's spoon today with open water rods.   it was a balmy 5 degrees with lots of steam emanating from the lake.    caught a 22 inch pike off the bottom snapjigging spoons...  and that was it.   probably wait a week or 2 when i can walk on top of it.

went to a lake named after a short elf dude in that 80's fantasy movie....  the lake had 5 inches of safe, hard ice that nobody has visited yet... so unlike that harlot from fairplay,  i took my chances and was well rewarded.   nothing was really big, maybe 14 inches...  but all the fish kept had bright orange meat.     caught my limit real quickly jigging kastys aggressively with cut shiner heads baited on it.

fished granby at rainbow bay, throwing big lures and not even a nibble.   lake is nowhere near ready for ice.

will be back up there tomorrow to fish the arch nemesis of bavmorda's lake and officers gulch.    i love grand county.

id post pics but i cant access my FB.   is there any other pages i can use besides photobucket?

Offline Sarge509

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: my lil' scoutin' trip.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:19 AM »
What about the azure isolated flat-topped hill with steep sides near son-of-a-gun? Has anyone been out to there?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:39 AM »
social media is abuzz right now about some permsicous women that live around the south park area.   every dude in Colorado with a stiff rod is all up in arms  about it.   me?  i got better things to do than hang out with hoodrats from hartsel that everybody was taking their turn on, so I drove west to see what other lakes looked like.     

2 well known lake trout lakes 80 miles west of denver will be ready for ice fishing probably in about a few days... the single digit temps over the last few days have done its work and capped one about halfway from the inlet all the way to black creek... it sketched me out so i didn't try to chance it.   i was gonna drive up to the bad eyesight lake but the road was a bit dicey... i imagine it was plenty safe though.   

a lake named after a rabid wild canine that drives an american branded vehicle had skim ice all over the west end...

and billy's eating utensil was 80% open with its finger bays all capped out.    i fished billy's spoon today with open water rods.   it was a balmy 5 degrees with lots of steam emanating from the lake.    caught a 22 inch pike off the bottom snapjigging spoons...  and that was it.   probably wait a week or 2 when i can walk on top of it.

went to a lake named after a short elf dude in that 80's fantasy movie....  the lake had 5 inches of safe, hard ice that nobody has visited yet... so unlike that harlot from fairplay,  i took my chances and was well rewarded.   nothing was really big, maybe 14 inches...  but all the fish kept had bright orange meat.     caught my limit real quickly jigging kastys aggressively with cut shiner heads baited on it.

fished granby at rainbow bay, throwing big lures and not even a nibble.   lake is nowhere near ready for ice.

will be back up there tomorrow to fish the arch nemesis of bavmorda's lake and officers gulch.    i love grand county.

id post pics but i cant access my FB.   is there any other pages i can use besides photobucket?
try imagepost or imagur both free.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:34 AM »
driving all over heck in frigid temps catching small fish is way better than catching large fish in the warm sun every time- ::) ::)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Great report, way to put in the miles. I just wish I knew which lakes you scouted...  ;D

I caught a mess of Kokanee near Grand County yesterday. It was 1F when we got out of the truck at 6am. Ice will likely be safe most places by Christmas.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Ive had my fill of ice fishing for a few days. Gonna huck some metal for walleyes today! In 65F sun!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for posting this.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:03 PM »
driving all over heck in frigid temps catching small fish is way better than catching large fish in the warm sun every time- ::) ::)

Fishing in crowds is for the birds and so is South Park.    If I want slobs I’ll go north.    Fogel showed me pics of his haul yesterday hucking blades...  if weather stays nice weds I’ll be up that way.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Great report, way to put in the miles. I just wish I knew which lakes you scouted...  ;D

I caught a mess of Kokanee near Grand County yesterday. It was 1F when we got out of the truck at 6am. Ice will likely be safe most places by Christmas.

We should have linked up man.  I was all over grand and summit.   

Pretty much what I’m saying is next week will have a lot more options closer to town.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Nice report Dave,
   Glad you weren't so secretive on the other site, or I'd still be trying to figure some of this out  ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:01 PM »
I went back to willow creek (wanted one more day of solitude... lol.). Bagged some bigger cutbows.    Did they put tiger muskies in the lake?....  because they seem to be getting bigger in there.  Ice grew another inch.

We also fished the evening bite at Officers gulch too.    Vex was lit TF up and fishing was nonstop.    Had 8 Brooks iced in 45 mins.    Ice there was 6 inches... saw a sketchy spot out in the middle so we stayed away from there.      Probably goin’ back next weekend with my son for sledding/ice fishing fun

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Thanks, Dave, for all of your efforts to keep everyone updated.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:49 PM »
What about the azure isolated flat-topped hill with steep sides near son-of-a-gun? Has anyone been out to there?

Lol I just got this one.   I bet Iola is worth looking at.   If not a phone call to gene Taylor’s will answer this question I bet

Offline Sarge509

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Lol I just got this one.   I bet Iola is worth looking at.   If not a phone call to gene Taylor’s will answer this question I bet

Thank you. It's a 3 hour drive each way from the Academy so if I go that way I want to make sure my kids won't be bored.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Thank you. It's a 3 hour drive each way from the Academy so if I go that way I want to make sure my kids won't be bored.
Sarge, a good lake to take your kiddies would be Skaguay Res. outside of Victor. Easy action to get their adrenaline up and you don't need to drive to that town in Egypt to find fish. If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell you how to fish it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:38 AM »

I bet they get bored with a 6-hour drive! :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:30 PM »
This crap wasn't funny on fish explorer and neither is it here.  Too many people from that site on here too.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:06 PM »
This **** wasn't funny on fish explorer and neither is it here.  Too many people from that site on here too.

What are you talking about?     

I haven’t posted on Fxr in almost 7 years and this post is plenty informative.... you don’t need to namedrop names to know where I scouted, it’s pretty obvious.

If you got nothing nice to say, don’t comment.   Just stay in your lane.

Offline Lamar84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:22 AM »
 I really appreciated this post. It got me out on the ice. Thank you.

Offline Sarge509

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:03 PM »

I bet they get bored with a 6-hour drive! :P

We stop a bit along the way and it's the only time I let them play with their gameboys. Usually we'll overnight in Gunnison if I have the next day off.

Offline Sarge509

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Sarge, a good lake to take your kiddies would be Skaguay Res. outside of Victor. Easy action to get their adrenaline up and you don't need to drive to that town in Egypt to find fish. If you're interested, PM me and I'll tell you how to fish it.

Does it have fishable ice on it yet? I didn't know it existed.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Does it have fishable ice on it yet? I didn't know it existed.
It usually freezes about the same time as Tarryall and a week ahead of Elevenmile. I haven't heard reports yet on ice conditions but I'd bet it's not less than 6". Our Board sponsor, Chris at CTP probably knows all. It's put and take so you're not likely to find a trophy but it's steady action to keep the young'uns interested.
  Much prettier lake than Tarryall and on a more human scale than Antero or the Mile.
 Again, PM me if you need the skinny.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2017, 03:36 PM »
What are you talking about?     

I haven’t posted on Fxr in almost 7 years and this post is plenty informative.... you don’t need to namedrop names to know where I scouted, it’s pretty obvious.

If you got nothing nice to say, don’t comment.   Just stay in your lane.
My apologies Lavar Ball. :(

My post was suppose to come off sarcastic, but I've failed. 
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.