The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First Time, First Ice  (Read 980 times)

Offline joeyfreddy19

• IceShanty Rookie
First Time, First Ice
« on: Dec 09, 2017, 05:46 AM »
Hey guys posted this in the general chat but figured some fellow Wisconsin people maybe able to help me out as well. I'm finally at the point in my life where I have all the gear and time to be able to get out and hit first ice this year.  Besides finding safe ice, does anyone have basic tips on where to locate fish on early ice.  I live in La Crosse, WI so we have many lakes and also live right along the Mississippi River with beautiful backwaters.  Mostly looking to find areas for panfish along with some walleye/tip up fishing.  Any advice on looking at a map to determining areas for early ice would be helpful.  Hopefully will be getting out in the next week.  Guys were out yesterday on an 1 1/2".. A little to early yet for me.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: First Time, First Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2017, 08:15 AM »
The lakes in Trempleau, Third, Round, Mud, and some times Long, and  Second can be good at first ice. I  never looked at a map,  just punched holes and fished.

Lake Marinuka in Galesville can be good also. 

I have not fished any of these lakes in years.  I  also think that getting a map of lake Onalaska would help or follow the crowds.   Also the backwaters in Stoddard and Genoa.

Good luck! 

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: First Time, First Ice
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2017, 04:49 AM »
If you drive down the river road, Stoddard usually has Good ice and big gills along on the river. Just be careful as you know early ice can be dangerous. Wait till you see other guys out and follow their trail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.