The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Green Lake  (Read 1132 times)

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
Green Lake
« on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:00 PM »
My buddies and I are looking at making a trip to Green Lake (near bago). Does anyone do any good there? Would you have any other suggestions for lakes to fish. We’d like to be 2-3 hours north of the Illinois border.

Thanks!!
I'm what you would call an ice fishing freak.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Green Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:06 PM »
I grew up near there.  It is deep so I don't think a lot of it freezes solid.  I also grew up hunting ducks on west end of Lake Poygan (20 Miles North) one of the up river lakes for bago.  That usually caps very well and often earlier than others.  Maybe give that a thought.  Plenty of vids and posts about that water.  Stop in Borth for beers if the fishing is slow.

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:56 PM »
I grew up near there.  It is deep so I don't think a lot of it freezes solid.  I also grew up hunting ducks on west end of Lake Poygan (20 Miles North) one of the up river lakes for bago.  That usually caps very well and often earlier than others.  Maybe give that a thought.  Plenty of vids and posts about that water.  Stop in Borth for beers if the fishing is slow.

Thanks, have fished poygan a couple times with little luck. Could just be me haha.

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Ever ice fish the lakes around Oconomowoc?

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Green is fun for something different (lake trout), but takes some research to be ready.  It usually isn’t solid until at least early to mid January, and takes specialized gear to go for them like lots of braided line and a vexilar that goes beyond 120.  Cisco are there too if you are interested.  Little Green I heard is a good lake for panniers, and gets a fair amount of pressure.  Another lake near there is Puckaway, which is more like a shallow expansion of a river.  Can be good for pike and eyes, but must spread out in the featureless system.  My opinion of Oconomowoc Lakes is that they are overfished.  Not that there aren’t some jewels in the area, but most suburban Mke Lakes will have fish 1/2 inch below legal all day long.  Bags, Poygan, and the ones I mentioned above would be better choices for quality fish.
My $.02.  Good luck
FS

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2017, 01:16 PM »
Green is fun for something different (lake trout), but takes some research to be ready.  It usually isn’t solid until at least early to mid January, and takes specialized gear to go for them like lots of braided line and a vexilar that goes beyond 120.  Cisco are there too if you are interested.  Little Green I heard is a good lake for panniers, and gets a fair amount of pressure.  Another lake near there is Puckaway, which is more like a shallow expansion of a river.  Can be good for pike and eyes, but must spread out in the featureless system.  My opinion of Oconomowoc Lakes is that they are overfished.  Not that there aren’t some jewels in the area, but most suburban Mke Lakes will have fish 1/2 inch below legal all day long.  Bags, Poygan, and the ones I mentioned above would be better choices for quality fish.
My $.02.  Good luck
FS
Thanks, I think we are thinking about backwaters around Prairie du Chien now since I am very familiar with the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.