The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: eau claire area lakes  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
eau claire area lakes
« on: Oct 18, 2017, 01:52 PM »
my daughter is in college there any lakes close by worth trying pm any helpful tips thanks

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: eau claire area lakes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:11 AM »
You're better off driving 45 minutes up to chetek if you have the time. Fishing gets good up that way. A couple options in the area though:
Lake Altoona is right in town which has some nice sized panfish, but you're lucky to catch half a dozen (limit is also only 10/person).
I've never fished Lake Wissota, mainly because I never hear of guys doing all that great out there and it is a huge lake that I haven't had the motivation to scout. There are some nice walleye if you can find them though (from what I hear).
Lake Eau Claire is about 40 minutes out of town towards Augusta. It took a hit 2 years ago with Altoona being shut down so this past year wasn't that great, but I've had good luck out there in the past.
Shoot me a PM when you're in the area on the weekends, I'm out as much as I can. I plan to target the Chetek and Spooner area mainly this year.
Da Pack!

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2017, 09:43 AM »
My in-laws have a parkmodel/summer place on Lake Chetac in Birchwood, WI (if Junkie is talking about the same one).  We do pretty well up there in the summer between that lake and Birch (they connect).  Haven't fished it in the winter yet, but make take the UTV up there this season and give it a go. 

As Junkie mentioned though, it's about an hour from Eau Claire.  My BIL used to live in EC and they'd fish Altoona, Halfmoon, Elk Creek, and Wissota when they needed to stick close to town.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2017, 09:53 AM »
thanks for all help from all      hope to fish when visiting my daughter in college sometime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2017, 10:11 AM »
My in-laws have a parkmodel/summer place on Lake Chetac in Birchwood, WI (if Junkie is talking about the same one).  We do pretty well up there in the summer between that lake and Birch (they connect).  Haven't fished it in the winter yet, but make take the UTV up there this season and give it a go. 

As Junkie mentioned though, it's about an hour from Eau Claire.  My BIL used to live in EC and they'd fish Altoona, Halfmoon, Elk Creek, and Wissota when they needed to stick close to town.

I was talking about the Chetek chain of lakes west of Lake Chetac (Lake Chetek, praire lake, 10 mile and Pokegama lake) . I've never fished Big Chetac but I stopped at one of the resorts after fishing up in Hayward last year and talked to some guys that made me want to give it a try for some pike this year. Sounds like there are some monsters out there.
Da Pack!

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2017, 10:30 AM »
I was talking about the Chetek chain of lakes west of Lake Chetac (Lake Chetek, praire lake, 10 mile and Pokegama lake) . I've never fished Big Chetac but I stopped at one of the resorts after fishing up in Hayward last year and talked to some guys that made me want to give it a try for some pike this year. Sounds like there are some monsters out there.

I figured it was a slim chance we were talking about the same one.  And shhhhh..... :-X ;)2

Offline RednckFishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2017, 05:49 PM »
i live 45 mins south of eau just off of i94 tons of cranberry flowages by me and a few lakes that have good muskie/ pike

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2017, 07:34 AM »
i live 45 mins south of eau just off of i94 tons of cranberry flowages by me and a few lakes that have good muskie/ pike

I've been meaning to get down that way to try the cranberry bogs. I had a friend that used to live in Alma who fished them and always had good luck. I heard a lot of them are private though?
Da Pack!

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2017, 08:39 AM »
As mentioned above the chetek chain of lakes is a pretty good bet. I never ice fish lake wissota but do fish it for crappies in the spring and have done pretty well with a lot of fish over 12 inches.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.