The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Not Icefishing, but looking for info  (Read 940 times)

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Not Icefishing, but looking for info
« on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Sorry to post this on the ice fishing boards, but Iceshanty members seem to give better info.  I'm looking for a resort and or guide service in Wisconsin for open water fishing.  Prefer to target walleyes, perch, crappie, and bluegills, not necessarily in that order.  Would prefer inland lake as opposed to Great Lakes fishing.  I will do my own research, but wanted some input from the locals who know these places and people.  Thanks in advance!!!!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Not Icefishing, but looking for info
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Tough question, it's a big state.  Are you guys going to go under lake Michigan through the ghetto and come up from the south, or take the scenic route over the bridge and come in through the UP?  If you're coming by the southern route you could take a look at Castle Rock or Petenwell they are known for walleye and crappie, have resorts and guides, and aren't too far from the Dells if you're bringing kids and wives with you.  If you're coming via the northern route then you have too many choices to list, Eagle River, Tomahawk, Hayward and many other places.  The Chippewa Flowage is a beautiful place with tons of water to cover and plenty of resorts and amenities for tourists but I haven't fished it in decades so I can't speak to how that's been lately.  One thing to keep in mind if you're looking for eyes is there are special regulations on a lot of lakes in the northern part of the state due to Native spearing and on some of them you can only keep 2 walleye per person.  Another decent place to find info is the "fishing reports" section on lakelink.com, there is a thread for any water body of consequence and some of them go back years and can at least give you a general idea of things. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2017, 06:23 AM »
I'll echo RapShack here. We need to know a little more to be helpful. Cut the state into 6ths: North, South and Central 3rds and then split those in half East and West. That'll help narrow the suggestions down a bit. Also when you're thinking about coming could make a difference as well.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Ok. It will be just the wife and I.  Most likely mid summer, and to keep it closer, lets go with south east.  would rather rent a boat than trailer mine. 

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2017, 02:24 PM »
I would recommend lake delavan or Geneva lake. Both are very busy lakes with plenty of touristy things to do. Should b able to find a decent bass and bluegill bite on either lake. Geneva being the tougher lake to fish. Plenty of boat rentals in the area.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:24 PM »
OK, here's another question: Lookin' to take fish home or C&R? If C&R is a deal I can put you on a lake where you can easily (and I do mean easily) catch multi-dozens of walleye up to 20" or so. The kicker? Minimum size limit is 28" and a bag of one..... Still, lots of fun. Also decent gills if you can find 'em, lots of smallies but size runs smaller along with white bass, some pike and a shot at a 50+ inch musky. Right downtown, lots of stuff to do locally but the only boat rental is a canoe...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Hmm.  Maybe I need to rethink the destination.  Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.  Might revisit this a little later.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.