The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Green Bay whitefish trip  (Read 5246 times)

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
Green Bay whitefish trip
« on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I would like to hit Green Bay for whitefish on the weekend of 2/6 & 2/7.  There would be 2 of us.  Assuming there's any ice that is.

We do not have an ATV or Snowmobile.  We do have all the other equipment needed including the tackle.

With that said, I was thinking of options to keep expenses down.  We went last year and fished out of Dyckesville with our gear.  Fishing wasn't that great, but ice was too thin further north to drive the pickup on.

We could haul all our own gear if there is a guide service willing to bring our equipment and us to the locations and haul us back.

We could leave most of our gear at home if there is a guide or service willing to rent us portable or permanent shacks and haul us back and forth.  I've found some guides on the 'net that do this, but looking for the most affordable.

Or is there a location that has good fishing for whitefish that can be accessed by foot?  That would mean dragging our gear out by hand.  I'm not young and had health issues this past summer so it would have to be a short walk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: Green Bay whitefish trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:19 PM »
If I were you, I'd get in touch with Brett Alexander out of Sturgeon Bay. Why not hire a guide to do everything for you, including hauling gear, drilling holes and using his shacks?  He's one of the best up there.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:26 PM »
If I were you, I'd get in touch with Brett Alexander out of Sturgeon Bay. Why not hire a guide to do everything for you, including hauling gear, drilling holes and using his shacks?  He's one of the best up there.

As I said - to keep expenses down.

Offline H2owalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:26 PM »
It's to bad you don't have a ride onto the ice. A guide is really not necessary for whitefish. Door county has pretty much every option your looking for. Just have to spend time looking for what fits you. I'd probably google rather than do a search for guides. There are many places over there you can walk out. I fish the other side of the bay so I can't direct you to an exact spot but there are some. If the time comes and the bay freezes(safe ice takes longer by me in Marinette) and you haven't finalized plans, feel free to contact me. I have ranger with cab and tracks and would be happy to take you out. Nice thing about over here is fraction of the people.

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I don't know how much is too much, but Paul Delaney - Late-eyes Guide service-has house rentals for $160 for 4 people and has some 2 mans also (I don't know how much they are)all for a full day with transport and holes drilled.
He put us on the fish and the shacks were nice...

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:21 AM »
A good spot to walk on for some great whitefish action would be Red River County Park. Pic below is from the spot in 12' fow. Very short walk to get into some whitey's, Large schools can move thru there not even few 100 yards from shore. Only one problem this year is I'm not too sure we'll make decent ice on the mighty bay of green.  :(

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6668028,-87.7414959,16.25z

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=m&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.16006.1656.LakeMichigan.143.250m.jpg

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Le Barbra Rouge

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slot Limits for the future!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Hey guys, there is a hotel/bar in Dyksville called Lipskeys. They carry a guide service, we have gone there the last 2 years, I believe for us to stay 2 nights at the hotel, and guide service for 2 days, that includes heated shacks and Porta johns it runs around $175/ person. They are good guides, not great, but worth the $$. It's also nice, the bar owns its own launch right there on the property, so u wake up, walk 20yrds, and your on the ice! I'm planning a late fed trip myself!
3 things I hate. Cold coffee, wet toilet paper, and waiting

Offline boyscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Just saw an ad on Green Bay Craigslist for some whitefishing out of dykesville. Seemed to have different options as to guide/no guide. good luck
Yeah, yeah, yeah....FIVE more minutes, That's all, Then we'll go.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:13 AM »
They have different prices for Ice Fish Greenbay.
Get 4 guys and it will be very cheap for you.
And they will carry you out to where you need to be.
Its going to be tough to find good ice and safe ice.
Its very cheap if you have 4 guys.
Tom

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:34 PM »
It's to bad you don't have a ride onto the ice. A guide is really not necessary for whitefish. Door county has pretty much every option your looking for. Just have to spend time looking for what fits you. I'd probably google rather than do a search for guides. There are many places over there you can walk out. I fish the other side of the bay so I can't direct you to an exact spot but there are some. If the time comes and the bay freezes(safe ice takes longer by me in Marinette) and you haven't finalized plans, feel free to contact me. I have ranger with cab and tracks and would be happy to take you out. Nice thing about over here is fraction of the people.

Wow - this is a very kind offer.  Love to take you up on it (and send some money your way), but it won't work.  If it were just me, I'd be there in an instance, but my wife has her heart on staying in Door County.

Thank you - and if you're ever over in the Eau Claire area, get a hold of me.

Thanks again.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:36 PM »
A good spot to walk on for some great whitefish action would be Red River County Park. Pic below is from the spot in 12' fow. Very short walk to get into some whitey's, Large schools can move thru there not even few 100 yards from shore. Only one problem this year is I'm not too sure we'll make decent ice on the mighty bay of green.  :(

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6668028,-87.7414959,16.25z

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=m&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.16006.1656.LakeMichigan.143.250m.jpg

(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you.  This is just what I was looking for.  Being on the other side of the state, kinda hard to know where to go without kind people like yourself helping out.  Hope you didn't give away your favorite spot.

Thanks again, this would be perfect for the Friday afternoon when we arrive.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:37 PM »
Hey guys, there is a hotel/bar in Dyksville called Lipskeys. They carry a guide service, we have gone there the last 2 years, I believe for us to stay 2 nights at the hotel, and guide service for 2 days, that includes heated shacks and Porta johns it runs around $175/ person. They are good guides, not great, but worth the $$. It's also nice, the bar owns its own launch right there on the property, so u wake up, walk 20yrds, and your on the ice! I'm planning a late fed trip myself!

Cool - I'll give them a call and see what they have to say.  Thank you.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Just saw an ad on Green Bay Craigslist for some whitefishing out of dykesville. Seemed to have different options as to guide/no guide. good luck

I looked it up - thanks for the tip.  Sounds like Lipskeys (same people that Le Barbra Rouge mentions in the post above yours).

I've got a phone call in this one.  Seems to be a nice affordable trip.

Thank you.

Offline Le Barbra Rouge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:52 PM »
No problem. The guide out of lipskeys is FinQuest charters. I'm using them end of feb

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:45 PM »
Gutshot, check your messages
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline shore bird

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Anyone know if there is enough  ice out of red banks right now...looking to go tomorrow and I can't tell from this satellite view.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=m&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.16020.1848.LakeMichigan.143.250m.jpg

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Ended up going with http://www.finquestfishing.com/ (If the link doesn't work, it's Finquest Charters).  They're on facebook under Finquest Ice out of Dyckesville and have a web page. 

We stayed at Lipski's motel.  First off, if you're bringing your wife find some where else to stay. Don't think the floors have seen a vacuum since '93.  If you want close to fishing, cheap and a bar across the parking lot this is the spot for you and your buddies.

Can't say enough good about Captain Tim and Neal.  They went above and beyond to put us on top of whitefish.  Shacks were very warm and tight - and clean.  Well worth upgrading to the semi-guided for the tips and tackle used to catch them alone.

My wife and I ended up icing 10 on Sunday with a tough bite.  Talking to people at the landing (we went out of Red River park just north of Dyckesvile) we did well above average. As Iceshanty said above, it would have been an easy walk to whitefish out of Red River park - thanks again for the tip.  But just saving us the hassle of hauling a portable and auger across the state made it worthwhile going with Finquest.  Having a warm shack with holes drilled upon arrival wasn't hard to take either.

Will be going again next year with Finquest - just staying somewhere else <grin>.

Offline Le Barbra Rouge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:14 AM »
Glad to hear they were accommodating out there at FinQuest. I'm going the first week in March, assuming there is still enough ice. This will be year 3 for me out there with them. You are right, we always go up with a group of 10-12 guys, so the hotel/bar was more than enough for us, lol I suppose I never thought of the conditions for my better half

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:36 AM »
Lipskies is a dump.
If you stay there though you gotta get the cheese curds at the dyckesville bowl, the best anywhere!! It's just kitty corner from lipsky's.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Booked again with finquest for 2/18 & 2/19.  Any one know how much ice off of Lipsky's?  Enough to drive on?  Anyone catching any?  Oh, wife's coming again this year so will be staying down the road a bit <grin>.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:10 AM »
Hit the bay on the 18th.  We did very well and had a great time.  Sunday a crack opened up to 5 foot north of Red River and all the guides pulled their shacks.  The guide said the season was over with the wind and rain coming.  Bummer it couldn't wait a day <grin>, but we did get to go out Saturday and that made it worthwhile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.