Author Topic: Blackfoot Help for Kids Please  (Read 2066 times)

Offline rookieice

• IceShanty Rookie
Blackfoot Help for Kids Please
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:24 PM »
I'm going to be visiting my sister in Blackfoot in a few weeks and would like to take my 5 year old nephew ice fishing.  Don't care what species or size- perch, bluegills, trout - but action is key.  Would like to be reasonably close to Blackfoot but that is about it.  We are coming in from Belgrade MT and will have all the gear we need.  Just need a place to fish.

Thanks

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackfoot Help for Kids Please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:33 PM »
I'm going to be visiting my sister in Blackfoot in a few weeks and would like to take my 5 year old nephew ice fishing.  Don't care what species or size- perch, bluegills, trout - but action is key.  Would like to be reasonably close to Blackfoot but that is about it.  We are coming in from Belgrade MT and will have all the gear we need.  Just need a place to fish.

Thanks        McTucker Ponds down by Springfield or Sportsmans Park in Aberdine on American Falls Res . Trout at Mctucker , Perch mostly and a trout once in a while at American Falls .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline littlebigRod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:06 PM »
there is also pond just north of blackfoot  name Rose pond it has rainbow trout and maybe some perch but it has been about 10 years  when the last time I fish it . If you go to McTucker ponds there six ponds there five were stocked largemouth bass bluegills and one of the five was told by fish and game has catfish in it but I never caught any but have caught bass and bluegill. the last pond and the the on the east end of the area has rainbow trout. I never fish Springfield but guy I work with have cajavascript:void(0);ught some nice trout out there.  :icefish:

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:56 PM »
there is also pond just north of blackfoot  name Rose pond it has rainbow trout and maybe some perch but it has been about 10 years  when the last time I fish it . If you go to McTucker ponds there six ponds there five were stocked largemouth bass bluegills and one of the five was told by fish and game has catfish in it but I never caught any but have caught bass and bluegill. the last pond and the the on the east end of the area has rainbow trout. I never fish Springfield but guy I work with have cajavascript:void(0);ught some nice trout out there.  :icefish:
There are 8 ponds
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline gthfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:31 AM »
There are 8 ponds
caution on McTucker!    Don't assume ice is safe on the next pond--check before you get comfortable.  From experience-jumped ponds---!4 " of ice to less than 2 " on the next pond.  Moving subwater? Be safe==Check first.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:46 PM »
I have only fished pond 8 . That is the large pond fartherest to the east . There were 4 wheeler tracks all over the pond so I thought it had to be safe ? Went out in the middle and drilled a hole and water began boiling out of the hole and the ice started to sink . 1.5" of ice . I moved over about 15' from the bank and found 5" of safe ice and started catching planter trout . Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline gthfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:13 AM »
     Glad to know I;m not alone on the McTucker thing!  I had a similar experience on Rose pond years ago.  I was alone--drilled a hole and a mini geyser erupted.  I got off the ice and watched as 8-10" of water covered the entire lake --about 20 minutes. I don't completely trust gravel pit lakes anymore--weird hydraulics I guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.