Author Topic: ice fishing newbie  (Read 783 times)

Offline idaho-grizz

• IceShanty Rookie
ice fishing newbie
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:46 PM »
 help, where do I start, I live in southwest Idaho and know nothing about ice fishing. I ice fished Magic a few time years ago. Line wrapped around cans and some perch meat. ;D Anyway I have a friend that has ran unto hard times and needs to get out of his house for a little fun. I told him I would buy a auger and we would go ice fishing. Where do I go, don't want to go any farther than I need to. Magic, Cascade, Ben Ross? Any help on places. What bait, type of tip ups, you get the idea, I need help please. I will go to Cabala's tomarrow to get a few thing if I can gets some ideas. Thanks Griz

Offline kcdan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice fishing newbie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:33 PM »
I recommend going to Magic Res. I was there today and hammered the fish. Caught my limit of nice trout and a dozen average size perch in under 3 hours. I had 4 holes going using just a plain baitholder tipped with a night crawler. Fish the West side straight below the resort out from the bank about 75 to 100 yards the water will be around 30 ft deep. Set your hook about a foot from the bottom and you should get into them. You don't need to get those fancy tip ups I use a piece of 1x2  about 12 inches long with line tied to it. Set it across the top of the hole, set your depth, attach a bright colored bobber and set the bobber on top of the piece of 1x2. When the fish bites it will pull the bobber off the 1x2 signaling the bite. I have used this set up for years and have had great success and the best part is it's cheap. There were 3 groups out there today and it looked like everyone was catching fish.

Good fishing,
Dan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.