Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 175504 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #270 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:20 PM »
I fish shallow alot and the advantages of the LX series Marcums leave even the high end Vex's in the dust.... Ability to see through weeds, the ability to have super fine lines to tell size and quantity of fish, in water over 10' the zoom is always on to increase the seperation to pick up bottom hugging eyes/perch, things no Vex has the ability to do....I have owned 18's, 8's and used the 12-20 and 22's all alongside my LX's and none have have come close to the Marcums...Now with the new digital units Marcums raised the bar even further... Sure a Vex works and better than nothing but theres many better units out there made by others at a lower price point for more options and better performance...Would you pay more for a brand new 1990 pickup or less for a new 2013 one?

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #271 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:09 PM »
I have the lx-3tc and I love it...awesome...but if u can get an lx-5 do it

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #272 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:24 PM »
I fish shallow alot and the advantages of the LX series Marcums leave even the high end Vex's in the dust.... Ability to see through weeds, the ability to have super fine lines to tell size and quantity of fish, in water over 10' the zoom is always on to increase the seperation to pick up bottom hugging eyes/perch, things no Vex has the ability to do....I have owned 18's, 8's and used the 12-20 and 22's all alongside my LX's and none have have come close to the Marcums...Now with the new digital units Marcums raised the bar even further... Sure a Vex works and better than nothing but theres many better units out there made by others at a lower price point for more options and better performance...Would you pay more for a brand new 1990 pickup or less for a new 2013 one?

I had a Marcum LX 3TC and It never told me the size of the fish. your Marcum Must have super powers.  the only true statement you can tell me for sure is the marcum display has more crisp line and thats it. you cant tell me you have a 30 inch fish with the color line you see. that is not true. and to the original post go check out flashers see what you like find the one that suits your needs and the one you wont mind looking at for hours at a time.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #273 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:03 AM »
I have the lx-3tc and if I set the gain correctly I can definitely tell the difference between sizes of fish.  Not within inches but the diff between a large perch and a small one. 

Offline slabhunter34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #274 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Great info my only question is can you spot your jig on the marcum vx1 and the vexilar fl-8se?

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #275 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:52 PM »
I used to have the vx-1 and I could see super small panfish jigs in 60 fow...prob coulda seen farther just never tried

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #276 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Had the fl-8se was good unit but for your money get one for same price with more options.... They all show your jig and fish. If you want to see a big difference in fish size and good separation of those fish in a school Marcum is great. Nothing gets by you on the bottom either,No dead space there...Go to the store and look at the displays and turn them on. On marcum lx5 press zoom and turn it on. the simulator mode will show the crisp lines. The lx3 with have the same the vx1 is a 2 bulb blend for the 3rd color.
Fishin red lines

Offline slabhunter34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #277 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:07 AM »
Thanks a lot for the replies now I just have to find one

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #278 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Could someone explain the benefit to the higher peak to peak watts?

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #279 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:13 AM »
 It is like open water units... More detail and separation. Sure the lower watt units will do the job but I have found the 2500 watts of the lx5 to erase the dead zone on the bottom, show great separation in fish in a school and show size of those fish. You can pick a target out in a school and go after that one. With a unit with less wattage they all look the same and the school seems blended. A single target on a 400 watt unit can be 2 fish a single target on my lx5 is a single fish... I have used both and prefer the 2500. Like I said though a 400 watt flasher will show enough to catch lots and lots of fish! Hope this explains a little.
Fishin red lines

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #280 on: Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Hello again,
  I am looking for suggestions on what's a good flasher.  I know that Vexilar is a major favorite, but there are so many models and various packs are available.  I don't know how to work a flasher, so I am looking for one that I will be able to pick up on fairly easily.  I am also looking for these qualities:
- accuracy
- durablity
- decent battery life
- not a huge price tag

By looking at Vexilar's web page, I would think I'd be looking for the FL-12 or 18.

Thanks for your time!

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #281 on: Sep 23, 2013, 12:44 PM »
Marcum showdown! It's a vitlrtical display and the best target seperation. It's really really simple. Also one of the cheaper ones. Just look at the top of this page you will see the Marcum logo click it and see for yourself

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #282 on: Sep 23, 2013, 01:17 PM »
marcum...
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #283 on: Sep 23, 2013, 01:23 PM »
HUMMINBIRD!  More bang for your buck.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #284 on: Sep 23, 2013, 01:32 PM »
Vexilar by far!  Hands down best of the best.
I started with the fl-8 and upgraded 2 years ago to the fl-22.

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #285 on: Sep 23, 2013, 01:40 PM »
Love my FL18 :tipup: :icefish:

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #286 on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:05 PM »
I have never cared about what every one else is using, I just look for the what will work for me the best. I found the Garmin 300C Fish Finder (not the Echo) to have all the features that I was looking for; Color with a high pixel count, a gain that lets me see tiny jigs in 40+ feet of water, a split screen with ZOOM, a flasher screen if I want it, but best of all, all for about $200.00.  It does not come or have available from Garmin an “Ice Transducer”, but Ice Shanty is full of ways to get around that. Now that I have used it for a couple season, I can say that it performed very well. On both ice and open water, fresh and saltwater. There is NO lag time what so ever. I use 2 rechargeable 6 volt batteries ($20 total) in series for a total of 9 amps (cheaper than 1, 7 amp 12 volt battery). I tested the batteries for about 18 hour in two days and still had not gotten the batteries below 11.5 volts (unit works down to 10 volts). The dual beam is great and helpful split screen zoom!
It would not be the right unit for every one, but it has almost all the features of units selling for twice the money and will work even better for open water use.
Specs;

Display size, WxH:    2.1" x 2.8", 3.5" diagonal
Display resolution, WxH:    240 x 320 pixels
Display type:    QVGA
Weight:    9.6 oz (272 g)
Waterproof:    yes (IPX7)
Features and Benefits:
Audible alarms:    yes
Dual-beam sonar capable :    yes
Split-screen zoom:    yes
Ultrascroll® (displays fish targets at higher boat speeds):    yes
Fish Symbol ID (helps identify fish targets):    yes
AutoGain Technology (minimizes clutter, maximizes targets):    yes
Whiteline (indicates hard or soft bottom):    yes
Adjustable depth line (measures depth of underwater objects):    yes
Bottom lock (shows return from the bottom up):    yes
Water temperature log and graph:    yes
Water temperature sensor included:    yes
Water speed capable (displays speed on water):    yes

Frequency:    80/200 kHz (dual beam)
Transmit power:    Dual Beam, 150 W (RMS), 1,200 Watts (peak to peak)
Voltage range:    10-20 VDC
Maximum depth:    900 ft (dual beam)
Cone angle:    45° or 15° (dual beam)

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Well I was in the same boat last year. I looked around and asked some questions on here. I went with the Marcum VX1-Pro. I would have had to go to a Vexilar FL-18? to get the same features, and the Marcum was about 100 bucks less. I got it from Sportsman Guide for 229.00 I think. Plus if you want you can make payments on it from there. The other choice would have been a Hummingbird for me. Why? More features for less $$$. But I could not find anything close to SG price on the Marcum. It is very simple to use, has a zoom and is very dependable.

I think for a lot of people the flasher question is like Ford vs Chevy or Dem vs Rep. Don't bore them with the facts they have made their minds up. For me it was very simple, I looked at who was giving me the best bang for my buck. I could have cared less about the brand as they all had good reps. From what I could see, Vex was the most expensive and gave me the least features for it.

That is just my findings. But I could be wrong......
Bottom line is its your money, look at them all and pick the one you like best. I like the Marcum you might like something else. For the Money the VX-1 is hard to beat.
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #288 on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:24 PM »
I would say go out with someone that has a flasher and try it for the type of fish you are going for. Ask around and try all the big brands . I have bought and used the Marcum LX7 and the Vex F18 and the Humminbird ice45 - 55 , all worked great but for me but I keep the Humminbird ice 55. Look for sales !!! I bought my 55 two years ago for $329.00 new online. Target sep. - I don`t fish for Guppys.
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #289 on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:37 PM »
If you use the search function on the forum you can find many posts about this very topic. There is also a lot of good information in past posts, check those out and you should find all the answers you need. This is a Ford v. Dodge v. Chevy debate and it happens every year.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #290 on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:45 PM »
If you use the search function on the forum you can find many posts about this very topic. There is also a lot of good information in past posts, check those out and you should find all the answers you need. This is a Ford v. Dodge v. Chevy debate and it happens every year.
I.E. "The Flasher War"!!! Just like the auger wars, etc.!! But it helps pass the time until we can get on the ice and use the stuff!! Plus some members don't know how to find the information on the site and some just don't care to!!  :woot: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #291 on: Sep 23, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Marcum or nothing! let the wars begin
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #292 on: Sep 23, 2013, 04:37 PM »
What are you fishing for?

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #293 on: Sep 23, 2013, 05:01 PM »
What are you fishing for?

X2 and how deep many choices  out there

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #294 on: Sep 23, 2013, 05:20 PM »
The only thing I will add is that some flashers/ finders don't co- exist well near others and some don't have any problems at all so take that into consideration .

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #295 on: Sep 23, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Marcum Showdown 2.0 for a starter system.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #296 on: Sep 23, 2013, 08:22 PM »

:woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #297 on: Sep 23, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Less filling no better taste. But on here its not sexy girls fighting its sweaty hairy smelly stubborn men.   

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #298 on: Sep 23, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Hands down, Marcum is better. You cannot go wrong with the Vx-1 pro, Lx-3,Lx-5 or the big boys.... Lx6,Lx7 or even the Lx9  ;) Check out Marcum's website. You WILL NOT be disappointed!!!!!!!  :icefish:

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Sep 23, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Hands down, Marcum is better. You cannot go wrong with the Vx-1 pro, Lx-3,Lx-5 or the big boys.... Lx6,Lx7 or even the Lx9  ;) Check out Marcum's website. You WILL NOT be disappointed!!!!!!!  :icefish:
x2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.