The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: update - minnow ban  (Read 954 times)

pinche

update - minnow ban
« on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:31 AM »
From my local baitshop , here is an update on the meeting in washington last week and a plea for help. :-\

Eric,

I did speak with my bait supplier, and he seemed a little evasive with an update.  but basically said, no change.  the list remains at 37 banned species, but did hint around that there could possibly be a ban on harvesting altogether.  but nothing has changed since the initial ban.

as for the immediate future, his farm is stocked with plenty of emerald shiners for the upcoming ice fishing season.

as for the long term, I think that the voice should be heard a little louder, as you suggested.  I don't think the fish farm industry can make a case without the support of the millions this ban could potentially affect.  this obviously will take time, money, planning, organization, etc...    any volunteers ??

but the main goal is not to fight the ban itself, as it was an emergency act to curb the spread of the virus until they can figure out how to stop it.  we are not arguing the fact, that the virus doesn't exist or pose a threat.  our question is, if we've known about the virus being a problem in Europe, and we've known that other non-indigenous plant and animal ( zebra mussels, gobies, etc... ) life have been being brought over here for many years, and we've even known exactly how these things are being introduced into our waterways ( i.e. ballast water from European tankers and freighters ), then why has it come to this ? 

this virus is deadly, no doubt.  and it does realistically pose a threat to our natural resources.  it does need to be contained and stopped.  but instead of imposing bans that hurt local economies, we instead, find alternate ways to stabilize ships or ways to recycle the ballast water, or sanitize it before being released into our waterways. 

you can follow the progress here http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/aqua/

hope this helps

ron
hook, line & sinker
[email protected]

Gosh I feel bad for people trying to make a living in this industry. There up against a giant.Ill be posting this on the main page and probally in the NY thread.

flockshot

Re: update - minnow ban
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:35 AM »
he hit the nail on the head....the little man gets punished because the big guy says "theres no way were doing this..and heres some extra cash for you to agree". the ban needs to stay..hes right..but there needs to additional steps taken by the shipping industry as well. if you want to enter the great lakes waterways..you must have one of the many new technologys for ballast cleaning in place.

walleyechaser

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:46 AM »
I'm sure the bait industry will adapt.  I'm fine only using fatheads, suckers or goldies. 

But at the same time I agree.  Something needs to be done about ballast water and all these dipsh*ts who don't clean their boats when they go to a new lake. 

pinche

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:48 AM »
I really didnt want to get all worked up over this again.......but how in the hell do we let this go on.  :%$#!: :%$#!: :sick:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.