The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: shorefishing in eastern mi  (Read 3355 times)

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
shorefishing in eastern mi
« on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:57 AM »
i do alot of fishing from the wall on the st claire river.  city of st claire specifically, been to port huron a few times.  guys use heavy duty baitcast poles, with penn baitcaster reels.  thats the only set up ive ever seen used up there.  they set the pole up on a platform attached to the handrail, and position the pole parrallel to the water.  5 miles down stream, we use lighter action poles, with open face reels, perpindicular to the water.  fun way to fish, alittle boring at times, waiting for the bell to ring.  im wondering, if theres anywhere i could go, where i can cast from shore, and get into some fish.  like walleye?  i know all about yates dam, too crowded, ive heard of guys fishing form a pier near metro, on lk st claire.  anyone have any suggestions?  i got so many pencil plugs, body baits, rarely get to use them unless im tightlining
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: shorefishing in eastern mi
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:22 AM »
..if you know Port Huron you know where the Hollyhock is...try casting from shore with a pink jighead and a white twister or worm. Sometimes it is hard to get down the hill but especially this time of year with the smelt running I've always caught walleye over 5 lbs there.

I tried last week but still too much ice...next couple of weeks should be prime.

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:33 AM »
..if you know Port Huron you know where the Hollyhock is...try casting from shore with a pink jighead and a white twister or worm. Sometimes it is hard to get down the hill but especially this time of year with the smelt running I've always caught walleye over 5 lbs there.

I tried last week but still too much ice...next couple of weeks should be prime.
thanks, ive heard that guys catch alot between st claire and port huron like that.  marysville?  what size jig you use in port huron?  1 oz?  i might give that a try, i dont have heavy enough gear for port huron.  i have an 8 foot, medium action open face to cast heavy lures with though.  never heard of the area you speak of...how close is it to the police station?  only gone to port huron a handfull of times, to scout it out.  too many people on the wall when the salmon start running
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:37 AM »
sorry, one more question....is it shallow and rocky in that spot?  how do you cast.  i would think you cast it upriver and let the current tick it along the bottom?  ive seen guys fishing in st claire with those twister tails, they cast it straig out in fornt of them, and let the current carry it away, light jigheads with twister tails, never seen anyone catch anything like that.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:45 AM »
..the Hollyhock is the Coast Guard ship at the South end of Pine Grove Park. There is a parking lot next to the ship...stern of the ship. You can fish there..pretty steep bank down to the water but good rocks to stand on to cast. It is rocky there...I use a 7 ft pole with 8 to 10 lb line. 1/4 oz jig heads. Cast upstream with a slow retrieve...you will loose tackle here but it is usually worth it in terms of fish.

Note...don't wander over to the Coast Guard dock if the ship is gone....it is a  restricted area and patrolled heavily.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:49 AM »
..the Hollyhock is the Coast Guard ship at the South end of Pine Grove Park. There is a parking lot next to the ship...stern of the ship. You can fish there..pretty steep bank down to the water but good rocks to stand on to cast. It is rocky there...I use a 7 ft pole with 8 to 10 lb line. 1/4 oz jig heads. Cast upstream with a slow retrieve...you will loose tackle here but it is usually worth it in terms of fish.

Note...don't wander over to the Coast Guard dock if the ship is gone....it is a  restricted area and patrolled heavily.
thanks alot, I appreciate it
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

walleyechaser

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Walleyeslayer,

If you can get there before wednesday the Holloway Dam and the bridge at Genessee road offers some pretty good shore fishing.  Usually not too crowded.  Also another bridge on Mt. Morris road crosses the Flint river.

Good shore spot there too.  Last year we picked up some eater size walleye out there.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Walleyeslayer,

If you can get there before wednesday the Holloway Dam and the bridge at Genessee road offers some pretty good shore fishing.  Usually not too crowded.  Also another bridge on Mt. Morris road crosses the Flint river.

Good shore spot there too.  Last year we picked up some eater size walleye out there.
thanks, ill have to look into that.  how far a drive is the holloway dam from union lake?  i could just look it up on a map.  might not be able to make it there, walleye season is open all year on the st claire.  probably going to head up this weekend if i can
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

walleyechaser

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Straight shot up M-15 to fishing tackle grab bag.  You'll start seeing signs for it once you are up there.
Its about an hour from you. 

walleyechaser

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:10 AM »
We are going to hit St. Clair river as soon as I get my bearings fixed on the trailer and when the ice stops flowing.  We usually fish the N. Channel out from Deckers landing.  My buddies do quite well near Marysville but I've only foul hooked a carp up that far.

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2006, 11:50 AM »
...it's ususally pretty good off the wall in Marysville...try across from the Border Patrol office..and no further North than the road.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2006, 06:43 AM »
We are going to hit St. Clair river as soon as I get my bearings fixed on the trailer and when the ice stops flowing.  We usually fish the N. Channel out from Deckers landing.  My buddies do quite well near Marysville but I've only foul hooked a carp up that far.
good luck man  8)
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2006, 06:47 AM »
...it's ususally pretty good off the wall in Marysville...try across from the Border Patrol office..and no further North than the road.
i was told by a guy to use no smaller than 3/4 oz jigs.  im just going to take a bunch of sizes, he said the current is flowing pretty good.  i told him ive seen guys using 1/4 oz jigs, and i have, in st claire, not port huron.  1/4 oz will get down as long as you pitch it upstream enough right?   especially in 7 ft of water.  ive had 12 inch walleyes try to inhale a 5 inch pencil plug, so im not too worried about size, or is that the magic size up there?  do you do pretty well for them?  when you use 1/4 oz jigs?
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2006, 07:06 AM »
...if the wind is out of the North the current in the river really picks up and the water gets dirty. I've used 3/4 oz also with the stronger current but they do drop a lot faster and get hung up in the rocks more. Take different sizes like you plan.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Saw the post about the dam at hollowway, I am just about a stones throw away from there, about 5-6 years ago walleye fishing was great, was hard to find a spot after the season opened but in the recent years I heard they closed the dam down to make repairs and repaint.which hasn't improved much since I drive over there almost every weekend, the water has been extremely high about 3 foot away from the top of the walls, which makes it too hard to fish. Always seemed to have better luck fishing that in the summer or after hunting season DEC/JAN. Plan on looseing alot of gear snags snags snags. Always had good luck with green jig head and minnows or worms, no lures (didn't want to waste the money by getting a snag) I wouldn't spend much time on the other side of the dam never had/seen anything come up from there. Would recommend walking down from the parking lot and fishing towards the wall about 20 ft past it nice hole right there always produced. But I would wait until the water goes down before fishing it.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2006, 04:33 PM »
When the wind dies down a little and the current slows down a bit...at the mouth of the Black River is where I catch most of my walleye...I have a 2-3oz weight with a 5-6ft leader about 12" up with silver/gold spoon with orange/green markings with a crawler at the end...I caught quite a few last summer...My cousin has been down there fishin that same spot and said Steelhead are running through with and occaisional +25" walleye...I will be down there this weekend trying my luck...Hope this helps a bit....

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2006, 06:22 PM »
thanks dudes.  i know that leaders with gold beads work great.  ive watched a dude catch walleye for the past 3 years up there with gold beads,gold hooks on a 3 foot leader. (st claire river) i finally asked him to show me how he does it.  :bow: any one of yis wanna come down next winter to oakland county, ill help you get a limit of panfish  ;)  i like to think im good at catching walleye, i spend more time chasing than slaying hahahaa
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.